PDA

View Full Version : Random Homicide

Art
01-05-2021, 02:53
Amazingly until today I knew no one who was a murder victim or the close relative of a murder victim. That streak is over. A local prominent lawyer who I knew (and liked) toward the end of my crime fighting career had a daughter who was murdered in December, the victim of a stray bullet in a "personal" dispute. She wasn't in the hood, she was on the beach minding her own business. Now the little 16 year old gang banger didn't mean to kill her, it was collateral damage. Happens a lot right?? Just usually not to anyone you know.

lyman
01-05-2021, 03:47
you are fortunate to go as long as you have,

I knew a Murderer , his father dated my mother for years,
you would have never known, his dad was a helluva guy (RIP), his mom (they divorced long ago) seems like a nice lady, but drugs,, and stupidity are not a good mix for a 18 yr old man,
he is still in Jail, (been at least 25 yrs) and will iikely never get out

I had a lady that worked for me in the hood, nice enough lady, but her son (I met him once,, briefly) was fresh out of jail, and was kilt early one Sun AM,
likely a payback, or a drug deal gone wrong,, (they lived in the hood)

a lady I worked with was killed in the parking lot at work by an estranged boyfriend, broad daylight as they say, about 4pm , this was in a very upscale neighborhood,

they had split, he wanted her back, she said no, so he shot her in the car, in a crowded lot,,,
she was one of the nicest people you ever met

people can really suck sometimes,

Art
01-05-2021, 03:56
Lyman

Actually I forgot one. When I was in high school one of the most popular guys there's father was killed, we were told, by a jealous husband. The killer lived next door to the kid I knew's father, and shot him through an open window while the victim was working in his yard. I still see the son sometimes at class get togethers.

Mark in Ottawa
01-05-2021, 04:27
I have had two murders on streets where we lived. The first one was in Toronto in 1971. We had just moved into our brand new semi-detached house in the suburbs on a street that was still under construction. Only half a dozen houses were occupied. In one of them, the wife got fed up with her husband getting drunk and beating the crap out of her so she used a kitchen knife on him. She was charged with murder but surprisingly the Crown attorney (like a US District Attorney) asked the judge to give her an "absolute discharge". That means that although she did it and was guilty, they were letting her go. Her defence attorney immediately agreed and off she went. She quickly sold the house and moved away.

The second one was here in Ottawa. We had a neighbour who used to use his vacation time to go to Africa as a Christian missionary. They had a physically handicapped son who volunteered with an organization that supported men just out of prison. He mentioned to his clients that he was driving his parents to the airport as they were on their way to Kenya and of course, the two thugs took that as an invitation to break into their home. The kid decided to check on his parent's home and found them there. One of them hit him with an ax and then they drove out to the country to dump the body. Turned out that he was still alive so they killed him there. It took the police less than 24 hours to work out who the murderers were. We had two young children and were very concerned about murderers stalking the neighborhood.

There is nowhere that is completely safe.

remus
01-06-2021, 08:52
Life is not safe. Sometimes comfortable, sometimes uncomfortable , but not safe.

dryheat
01-06-2021, 09:26
Making friends with felons. Two cases that I know of around here. One was just down the street. The kid was living with his dad. He met a recently released felon in the bar(see where this is going?). He brought him home to his dads house. Got up the next morning and left. The felon killed his dad while he was gone. Then there was the poor dumb girl who went on a date with some guy she hardly knew. A recent felon. They went on the date. He shot her and dumped her body and threw her shot up clothes in the dumpster outside of his apartment. The police easily found the clothes and he went right back to prison. That one made the news. When I was a kid we had some rental property. There was a couple that was comprised of a big brassy woman and a little wimpy guy. I guess she pushed him too far one night and her shot her. She made her way over to our house used the phone out in the "vestibule". In the morning I wondered about the blood. She lived and went on to marry the old German down the street(he later referred to her as the Witch). I guess the little runt went to jail, I was to young to follow up on all the details.

barretcreek
01-08-2021, 12:03
Rancher I knew died, wife wanted her kids to get the place, not his. Her daughter didn't want to share so she shot her brother in his sleep. If it wasn't for a couple of his friends insisting for over two years that he didn't just up and leave town, the authorities never would have removed the manure pile to find him buried under it. Mom took the rap but I'd been warned about the daughter years earlier over some non-romantic business.
Worst part is the rancher's son is the only one who ranches, but the property goes to the dead kid's father, who doesn't ranch and just sees $$$$.