PDA

View Full Version : Whew, some one has bit it

dryheat
11-23-2020, 01:09
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884256982

It's a welded receiver. It's a tanker in the first place. Tankers are the 1950's gun version of racecars. It's almost always Bubba. It's back alley(but they can work if done right). And some one is going to buy it. It only takes one. But why? Why over a grand? I guess a thousand bucks ain't what is used to be. I guess buying a POS is about where it used to be.
OK, here's the breakdown: It's a six digit number on the receiver. But, the number stamped on the receiver leg says it's later. Look at the pic of the operating rod channel. Keep looking. Hint: pic #34.
The caveat was; you should have a high resolution screen to view the pictures. I don't think I have a high res screen and I can see that this is one of those post mutts that keeps getting passed around. I have owned some fabulous Garands and I have actually had a couple of welded jobs in my hands as well. I've seen maybe thirty rebuilt(if that's the right word)Garands on the web.
When I was a kid, I hiked out on the military base. I found plenty of Red End blank ammo cases in the woods. When I heard the description: M1 Garand I wondered about it. Not an M-14. Here is another example of a weld job that was sold to some unsuspecting Garand collector.

Major Tom
11-23-2020, 05:00
If you have ever fired a 'tanker garand', you won't be firing too many rounds! The muzzle blast is horrific!

bruce
11-23-2020, 05:02
Sad. Cut up receiver. Cut down USGI stock. Sincerely. bruce.

lyman
11-23-2020, 06:09
pics 5,6,7, and 21 show it on the op rod side as well,

whoeever did it did a good job hiding the weld on the opposite side

Sunray
11-23-2020, 11:00
"...almost always Bubba..." Several professional Bubba's other than Federal Ordnance made 'em too. And long after the 1950's. Fulton is still making 'em.
"...muzzle blast is horrific!..." Just like any short barreled .30 cal. Mosin Carbines, Lee-Enfield No. 5 Rifles, et al. Mind you, a guy shooting a 26" .338 Win Mag nearly blew me off the bench next to him, long ago. I was shooting my M1 at the time. Would have dropped some hot brass on him except for the screen. snicker.