PDA

View Full Version : And there were discussions and debates about 'The WAR'

fguffey
09-06-2020, 09:13
Years ago I had the opportunity to purchases stacks of records that belong to a radio station in Dublin, Texas. The station belonged to a man named Baker. No one will ask me about what I learned from the records about Mr. Baker; I believe I am allowed to say he was different. The records are LP transcribed and recorded Programs. The records were delivered by Railway Express to every station on the network to be played at the same time throughout the USA.

Each record came with a new needle, after the broadcast each record was to be destroyed and discarded; the needle was to be discarded also. THE POINT?

In the old days there was no such thing as replay; Mr. Baker never destroyed a record nor did he ever discard one meaning all of the transcribed and recorded programs were never played more than once.

And then there was the NRA; the networks were paid funds to put money into the hands of unemployed musicians, the recordings were included into the scheduled programming; problem, Mr. Baker did not approve of some of the music so he decided not to play all of the music furnished by the network. Ever record that was shipped was sealed. To determine what music Mr. Baler did not like sort through the stacks of records for albums that are sealed. So I got a bargain, some of the albums were never played.

Some of the programming included ‘WAR BOND’ programs, fund raising programs for Polio, Swiss Family Robinson, Abbot and Costello, Bing Crosby etc.

And then there was ‘The LAST MESSAGE from Corregidor’.

F. Guffey

fguffey
09-06-2020, 09:27
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+last+message+from+corrigtor&docid=608053651342035694&mid=0B0B12C47F3C3B6D39FF0B0B12C47F3C3B6D39FF&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

F. Guffey

fguffey
09-09-2020, 02:54
I do not have a turn table that will play the transcribed and recorded records; I will assume there are no members that are old enough to have been listening to the radio in 1943. 1943 is the last year the Dublin station was in business.

The collection includes the Purina/Checker Board program and one of the programs sponsored by a flour company and hours of 3 minute advertisements/commercials. And then there are movie trailers.

F. Guffey

lyman
10-22-2020, 12:01
fguffey

there are numerous LP players out there that you can connect to a computer,

if you have the notion, you may want to invest in one (they are not expensive) and convert those LP's to digital files or put on youtube