PDA

View Full Version : Crescent buttplate- Position on bicep,not shoulder

SUPERX-M1
08-30-2020, 08:26
Above is what I recently read. This is correct crescent butt position, perhaps the old times shooting posture and position. Supposed to decrease the pain the crescent inflicts.

I have not tried this yet. Try it out, experiment a bit, and tell us what you found.

My concept of old style shooting positions, standing, is erect torso and head, very vertical position.

k arga
08-31-2020, 06:42
crescent buttplate should not hurt at all if it is used on the fore arm where it belongs.

PWC
08-31-2020, 09:09
Not forearm (crook of the arm to wrist), but bicep (crook of the arm to shoulder) toward the shoulder, tends to cause "crawling" the stock.

SUPERX-M1
08-31-2020, 01:32
So, position crescent below shoulder joint on arm, on joint, or just above joint?

PWC
08-31-2020, 03:42
Probably as hi on the arm as possible that will allow a repeatable cheek weld. Will require craning your neck to get on stock. I've never seen shooting instructions other than the crescent was designed to go on the arm. Butt hooks are different.

With peep sights snd nhormal "shotgun", flat butt fits in the shoulder pocket, as hi as possible (comfortable) and the head is just laid over onto the stock for sight alignment. Once the cheek/pocket position is found, practice shouldering the arm with your eyes closed...then open them..front sight should be centered in the rear sight.

Sorry if this takes away from th crescent butt subject.

Johnny P
09-02-2020, 08:15
Some of the old Winchesters and Sharps in large calibers had crescent butt plates. Would be terribly uncomfortable fired down on the arm, in addition to the problem of sight alignment. The shogun butt was much more comfortable to shoot on those old rifles.

clintonhater
09-09-2020, 07:45
Some of the old Winchesters and Sharps in large calibers had crescent butt plates. Would be terribly uncomfortable fired down on the arm, in addition to the problem of sight alignment. The shogun butt was much more comfortable to shoot on those old rifles.

In heavy calibers, it was "terribly uncomfortable" on whatever part of the anatomy it was placed. Here's a flagrant example of "style," or tradition, trumping utility & common sense. The crescent BP became popular originally on Kentucky rifles with the max recoil of, let's say, a .44-40--moderate power calibers in other words, & "hung on" despite the increasing power & recoil of more modern cartridge guns.

Shotgun butts were usually preferred by more knowledgeable rifleman, but they were in the minority. That term is misleading, anyway, because such BPs was ALWAYS used on military muskets, & also on most target rifles.