PDA

View Full Version : Let it snow!!!

S.A. Boggs
08-29-2020, 12:16
I am ready for winter and the cold with some snow [no ice except in my Coke]. Fed up with bugs, bugs, bugs! 95-100 degree days and the humidity! Anybody else feel this way?
Sam

Roadkingtrax
08-29-2020, 12:22
Yes. Hottest summer on record, Dry Heat can attest to that. We have had 50 days with a recorded high of
110 or higher in 2020. We have a few more forecasted next week. The old record was 33 days.

togor
08-29-2020, 12:22
My Labrador retriever agrees with you 100%. He's an old school thick bodied guy who likes it cold.

S.A. Boggs
08-29-2020, 01:02
Tonight is my turn to pick the family movie and it will be wither Christmas in Conn. [1945] or Holiday Inn [1941]. Wife and daughter will have the A/C on to cool down as they will be warm, I am under one of my fuzzy Wolf themed blankets.
Sam

blackhawknj
08-29-2020, 01:24
Yes, I am a cooler weather aficionado, my apartment has poor circulation, for me Summer ends when I can turn off the A/C.
Enough snow-say 2-3"-for color and atmosphere, not so much that it creates a mess.

dryheat
08-29-2020, 03:37
But I can't say this has been my least favorite summer. I like the dryheat. In the evening it "cools" down to 102 or so and with 18% humidity it's not bad. The heat this summer and lack of rain prevented any mosquitoes. I never saw one all summer. Now our Monsoon is trying to get in and it's not as nice at night. I would trade the comfort for rain though. We need it. But not too much at once since the fired have cleared away a lot of vegitation. Two deaths ON THE LAKE were freakily caused by past fires. A thunderstorm came up and a couple of boats headed out of the cove. Thousands of lbs. of debris washed down the hill and clobbered them.

Roadkingtrax
08-29-2020, 04:04
My mosquito count this year has been a grand total of 2.

clintonhater
08-29-2020, 06:31
I am ready for winter and the cold with some snow [no ice except in my Coke]. Fed up with bugs, bugs, bugs! 95-100 degree days and the humidity!
Sam

What does anybody in southern Ohio know about winter? Not very much. But report back in March is you still feel the same.

It will, however, cut back on the rioting.

blackhawknj
08-29-2020, 08:38
Years ago I read in one of my mother's women's magazines "Giving your kid a sled for Christmas will sweep every snowflake from the sky for the next six weeks".

S.A. Boggs
08-30-2020, 02:47
What does anybody in southern Ohio know about winter? Not very much. But report back in March is you still feel the same.

Wanna bet? -42 F, 36" snow over a week, Ohio River FROZE from shore to shore stopping traffic.
Sam

JB White
08-30-2020, 03:39
Anyone living near the Great Lakes knows a lot about snow.....and sleet....and slush...and bad drivers.
Last I looked Ohio had a shoreline. It has been a while. Is it still there? ;)

Mark in Ottawa
08-30-2020, 11:25
I think that I'll pass, thanks. Ottawa's claim to fame (or infamy) is that it's the coldest national capital in the world. Colder than Moscow and matched only by Ulan Batur in Mongolia. In the last couple of weeks in January, it's not uncommon to have wind-chill temperatures that are below minus 30 and on occasion approach minus 40 (At minus 40, Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same).

Unfortunately this year, everybody is going to have to stay home and not go to Florida. That's going to be a serious culture shock as it will be our first Ottawa Winter in 8 years.

clintonhater
08-30-2020, 11:39
Wanna bet? -42 F, 36" snow over a week, Ohio River FROZE from shore to shore stopping traffic.
Sam

Sorry! No idea it got that bad! But all the more reason not to ask for MORE of it--which you'll get pretty soon anyway.

S.A. Boggs
08-30-2020, 05:16
Sorry! No idea it got that bad! But all the more reason not to ask for MORE of it--which you'll get pretty soon anyway.

Have my 60' ramp covered to keep off the snow, new super aggressive Cooper tires on the F-150, 12 lbs of Good To The Last Drop, 8 boxes of Irish Breakfast Tea so I am good to go. It is far easier for me to keep warm then cool @ my stage of life.
Sam

lyman
08-30-2020, 07:52
Have my 60' ramp covered to keep off the snow, new super aggressive Cooper tires on the F-150, 12 lbs of Good To The Last Drop, 8 boxes of Irish Breakfast Tea so I am good to go. It is far easier for me to keep warm then cool @ my stage of life.
Sam

Irish Breaky Tea,

drop of Honey,

and a wee dram of Jameson all stirred together on a cold afternoon is good for the soul

S.A. Boggs
08-31-2020, 01:31
Irish Breaky Tea,

drop of Honey,

and a wee dram of Jameson all stirred together on a cold afternoon is good for the soul

Because of liver, can't touch alcohol in any way, shape or form. Maker's Mark!
Sam

lyman
09-01-2020, 06:37
Because of liver, can't touch alcohol in any way, shape or form. Maker's Mark!
Sam

well then , just skip the likker,

irish or english breakfast tea and a drop or 2 of local honey is a good way to start the day

S.A. Boggs
09-02-2020, 01:41
Got our main propane tank filled yesterday, waiting on the company to move my small 100 gallon from what had been my reloading shed up to the bottom of my ramp. I will have this plumbed into my generator. Continuing to bring in firewood, 1/2 cord per load is all that I can pile onto my F150 safely. Got a buddy who will be delivering me a dump truck load of wood on Friday, yet I will continue to keep bringing the wood in.
It has been over 10 years since this area has had a hard winter so we are due for one. Will be picking up a new Fiskars hand ax to split kindling as my other Fiskars is too big for this chore. Some of the wood I get is too big to get into my largest stoves so I have to use my ax to cut it to size.
Sam

SUPERX-M1
09-02-2020, 05:35
Have read as well off with 4 winter tires on fwd, as with awd with all weather compromise tires.

SUPERX-M1
09-02-2020, 05:44
Have read that costs with propane or nat gas can be similar-just depends.

And that heating oil is higher than either.

Kerosene for heating use : Cost prob higher that heating oil.

Always thought that propane was 2X the cost of nat gas. and that oil was equal in cost to nat gas.

Of course, set up costs and tank for propane would be an expense.

Apparently, with fracking, nat gas costs have come down.

clintonhater
09-02-2020, 06:52
Of course, set up costs and tank for propane would be an expense.

Apparently, with fracking, nat gas costs have come down.

Propane supplier provides tank, but then charges whatever they want--no price competition at all. Most suppliers won't refill any tank but their own--a totally rigged system.

S.A. Boggs
09-02-2020, 11:05
Propane is $2.05/gal, no charge for the tank. If I buy the 100 gal. tank the cost is $50.00 less then the cost of any big box store so I am going to buy it. Propane is mainly used to cook with as we now mainly depend on wood for heat.
Sam

Gun Smoke
09-02-2020, 12:11

The democrats winning the election in November is the only thing that will voluntarily stop the riots.