PDA

View Full Version : "Traditions" muzzle-loader

jon_norstog
08-17-2020, 11:59
My brother has been urging me to get a muzzle-loading rifle and buy a tag for the family's winter hunt in the country above the North Fork of the Clearwater. He has had good luck with the "Traditions" .54 cal. and got a cow year before last. They are made in Spain by Ardesa. There is an improved model with 2" more barrel and some improvements to the lock. Fluted chrome-moly barrel and meets regulations for the western states - ID, WA, OR and CA, maybe some others. The one he saw at North 40 in Sandpoint he said had a 4-pound crisp trigger, asked me if I wanted to buy it so he could use it this year! I said sure. It was $375 with tax. I'll leave it with him 'cause if I hunt with it it will be in ID anyway.

The one with the scope is the old one. He is using 140 gr. of 2FG over a 400 gr. minie ball. He buys them but I think they are too hard and I talked him into getting a mold.

As far as the ID hunt goes, I think I'll tag along, pick off a few grouse and help with the dressing and packing if Paul gets lucky. I drew a CF rifle tag for the Murderer's Creek unit in Oregon so that's gonna be MY elk hunt for the year.

jn