PDA

View Full Version : Compare the handling qualities of ar to traditional hunting rifle

SUPERX-M1
08-14-2020, 04:50
I am talking about walking, stalking, quick response , standing shooting of , say, deer. Not sniping or stand hunting.

Is ar clumsy,awkward,slower, less pointable. A matter of being used to one or the other?

Just wondering, don't be irritated.

High Plaines Doug r
08-14-2020, 05:02
Depends on how each is carried.
If you carried an M-16 by it's handguard clip ring (the approximate balance point) then you'd have to move both hands to bring the gun up to your shoulder like you would have to do with a hunting/bolt gun. If you carried "at ready" with either gun, you'd have about the same amount of movement required to bring either up to your shoulder.
I usually carried my M-16 by the sling over my right shoulder with my right hand on the pistol grip. The sling was run through the rear swivel, over the top of the stock and from there to the rear riser of the front sight and attached there. In this manner, I could immediately raise the gun to waist level and be ready to fire when I flicked off the safety. There was enough slack in the sling to allow me to bring it up to my shoulder with one hand where my left could assist aiming by grasping the hand guard. I could carry the gun dangling over my shoulder without fear of dragging it through the dirt because of the 20" barrel. My hunting guns all have barrels measuring 24" or more and if carried by the stock wrist, would touch the ground.
The M-16 pointed well enough but didn't swing through a moving target as well as a longer barreled gun should. At the ranges I engaged with it, that was a non issue.

free1954
08-16-2020, 02:19
i have to agree with the above statement. after i read your post yesterday, i wandered around in the woods behind my house, first with an AR and then with a bolt action . all in all i found the traditional bolt action to be quicker to get on target and easier to carry. but that might be a biased opinion.

Former Cav
10-07-2020, 11:04
Practice with which one you want to get used to.
I carried both my M16 and an M60 much the same way as High Planes Doug described above.
After I got out of the army (Oct 69) I used an M1A for my deer hunting, but I was in a stand.
My walking days were pretty much over, especially in the woods or on uneven terrain. Got hit bad in the leg with RPG frags after they went through my tank and lit the inside on fire.

lyman
10-08-2020, 02:36
I've hunted (when I used to) with a sporterized 1903, a Garand, and a M1A,

each were easy to use in the woods,

M16/AR15's are not legal in VA, unless in a caliber larger in dia than .24,
I do have a 6mmx45 upper, but stopped hunting before I built it up,

I've competed with an AR for years w/o any issues pointing, shooting etc, (and competed with a M1A and M1 as well)

plinking with an AR (A2's and smaller) and point shooting has not been a problem for me

PWC
10-08-2020, 07:24
I used to carry my GAU-5 (M16 short) with the stock collapsed
(At that time the M16did not have collapsable buttstock) with the sling around my neck over my back, with my right arm thru the sling. Left free, it hung upside down. It wasn't that much wider than my torso. Adjust sling for across belly. Grab the pistol grip, turn it 1/2 turn to the right a d it came up across chest and it was ready for action; one or two handed.

Those days are gone now, and I don't have an AR. I prefer my sterotypical rifles cross chest when stalking, sling arms when route steping thru the woods.

lyman
10-08-2020, 08:10
I think the biggest difference is some folks struggle, or have a hard time adapting to the pistol grip,

also a traditional rifle (esp a garand or M1A ) likes to be squeezed a bit when shot, while an AR can almost be literally tossed up on your shoulder and shot accurately,

Sunray
10-09-2020, 10:48
As mentioned, it's about how one carries a pistol gripped rifle vs a regular commercial hunting rifle. Carrying a pistol gripped rifle with the butt stock over one's elbow is one way.
"...Not sniping..." There's far more to sniping than just shooting. More like stalking deer than anything else.
"...pointed well enough but..." Doesn't balance right. Mind you, the M-16 wasn't ever intended to be a battle rifle or carried like a hunting rifle.

lyman
10-09-2020, 04:40
v Mind you, the M-16 wasn't ever intended to be a battle rifle .

huh?

bruce
10-09-2020, 04:57
I have carried and used AR-15's, multiple military surplus rifles and of course various sporting rifles. I have not ever had any real problems carrying or using any of them. In September I will be in the woods again deer hunting. I will be carrying a 1903-A4 replica which has in my hands been extremely effective other deer hunts. I expect results similar to those already experienced. Sincerely. bruce.