PDA

View Full Version : New upper on a older lower.

RED
07-15-2020, 05:21
I put a new complete 5.56 upper on a Cmmg lower I’ve Had for years. It was a tight fit but not overly tight. The action fed dummy ammo Ok. I took it to the range and everything worked. Single rounds, 3 rounds rapid fire, and no problems. Then I tried to hand eject a chambered round. It took a younger stronger hand to do it. A fired round has enough energy to extract but my 76 year old arthritic hands aren’t strong enough.

What gives here?

lyman
07-15-2020, 06:12
BCG lubed well?

barrel and chamber cleaned before you shot it?

ammo used?

did you have trouble pulling it back when you loaded it?

PWC
07-15-2020, 11:45
Sounds like a reverse "bolt assist" is needed

lyman
07-16-2020, 04:14
does it exhibit the same problem (bolt tight, hard to pull back) when seated in place with the upper off the lower (and no round in the chamber of course)

RED
07-16-2020, 08:09
No and no. I cleaned the chamber, and stripped the bolt and lubed it with some LSA. I ran some inert carriages through the action and everything worked fine. I chambered a live round and it extracted normally. It only gets hard to extract if the round is seated after firing a live round.

I think if I put 50 rounds of LC Milsurp ammo, it’ll clear up

lyman
07-18-2020, 07:43
No and no. I cleaned the chamber, and stripped the bolt and lubed it with some LSA. I ran some inert carriages through the action and everything worked fine. I chambered a live round and it extracted normally. It only gets hard to extract if the round is seated after firing a live round.

I think if I put 50 rounds of LC Milsurp ammo, it’ll clear up

let us know how it goes

Former Cav
10-07-2020, 11:14
Look at the chamber carefully. My Bear Creek Arsenal 6.5 Grendel upper chamber has a "groove" in it. Every now and then I have to pogo stick it. I've bought a new barrel.