PDA

View Full Version : Gun show carbine

C5M1
04-21-2020, 09:57
I purchased an M 1 carbine several years ago at a gun show and didn't notice the cracked reciever until disassembly. Barrel and other parts seem to be in excellent condition. I can't seem to find a replacement reciever for it. Any suggestions where to acquire one? Or should I just sell the parts and chalk it up.

Johnny P
04-22-2020, 05:49
If you want to keep a Carbine you would be better off to find another one, and sell the other one for parts. It's something like having a slide for a GI .45 and looking for a receiver. There were far more slides than receivers.

Gun Smoke
04-22-2020, 06:01
IF you could even find a suitable receiver it would probably cost as much as you spent on the carbine plus you would have to pay a gunsmith to swap the barrel and check for headspace.

Personally I would keep the defective carbine till I bought another one. You may prefer some of the parts from the first gun. Then sell the parts you don't need or want.

C5M1
04-23-2020, 03:12
Disappointing news but thank you for your replies. Think I'll go a ahead and keep it with the Hope's of stumbling on another at some point, maybe use it for a trade. Carbine and a 455 Webley were always on my want list along with a few others. Tough to buy new toys on a fixed income.

Best regards, dennis

lyman
04-23-2020, 04:42
what do you currently have that is cracked??

try riverbank

http://www.riverbankarmory.com/parts1.html

or try Gunbroker,

Tuna
04-24-2020, 01:09
Post some photos of the cracked receiver if you can please. It might be able to be saved.

C5M1
04-24-2020, 07:42
Try to get a pic or two up tomorrow.
The recoil spring housing is worn through also.

JimF
04-25-2020, 05:15
Try to get a pic or two up tomorrow.
The recoil spring housing is worn through also.

Woah, there . . . . .

The only receiver I’ve ever seen with a worn thru spring housing, was on a commercial carbine.

It was a CHEAP sand casting (Alpine, I think) receiver, with all parts GI.

The spring, being very hard, had worn thru the deep hole of the receiver, and was visible in several places!

Bottom line? . . . .JUNK!!

Tuna
04-25-2020, 07:08
Sorry Jim but USGI M1 carbines were made and accepted with recoil spring deep drilled holes having run out spots on them. Please post photos including the spring holes.

JimF
04-25-2020, 07:29
Sorry Jim but USGI M1 carbines were made and accepted with recoil spring deep drilled holes having run out spots on them. Please post photos including the spring holes.

I can’t post any pics ‘cause the Alpine I saw belonged to a fellow worker . . . .MANY YEARS AGO. (About 1965-66, I think!)

I was looking for a M1 RIFLE at the time, and he told me he had one he would sell me.

After work, I went to his house and he shows me this POS M1 CARBINE! (It was then I realized he did not know the difference!)

Not wanting to embarrass him, I asked to field strip it . . . .then spotted the area where the spring had worn thru the cast receiver in two or three spots.

I thanked him for showing it to me, returned it, and went home disappointed.

Never saw such a disaster as that SAND CASTING again!

Tuna
04-25-2020, 07:36
I was just asking C5M1 to please post the photos. Your right about some of the early commercial carbines...ah...not being up to spec for sure. Hey they are worth the value of their USGI parts now and that will most likely exceed by far their original price when new.

C5M1
04-25-2020, 08:39

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the huge pics. This is an IBM RECIEVER

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

C5M1
04-25-2020, 08:41

Tuna
04-25-2020, 07:40
See if you can find a good gunsmith in your area. The cracks can be fixed. Just may not look all that great but a small bit of welding can fix them. But it looks to me like someone tried or did change the barrel with improper tools.

bostonbound
05-12-2020, 04:01
Colin Williams over on the CMP Forums has been selling a number of carbine receivers, from high to low condition, with very reasonable prices to match. Essentially all makers. Here is an example - this is his Saginaw thread. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=261529

He is an exceptional seller - I haven't seen anyone, including myself, unhappy with his receivers.

Good luck!

M1C
05-14-2020, 06:28
Alpine made a good receiver. The Alpine receiver you looked at wasn't defective, it was a design aspect. The holes in the long spring hole are intentional to avoid the problem with drilling the deep hole. You'll see GI rec's where the drill breaks through and you can see the spring. Alpine addressed it in a particularly effective manner as shown in the link below which has a pic of the bottom of the receiver. It has plenty of material to keep the spring captive and still perform properly. I own a USGI receiver that was torched only enough at the spring tube that when the action is out of the stock the spring will actually bend at the middle and spring out through the hole. When it's in the stock it won't, because the stock holds it in place enough to function.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_alpine.html

ERMA in .30 call is the one you never want to buy. They're soft, mushy turds. The .22 version doesn't see the loads and is ok.

Here's another maker who used the same holes in the spring tube, because they were related companies. If I don't own Alpine or National Ordnance now I wouldn't hesitate to own them at an affordable opportunity at any time.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html

Tuna
05-14-2020, 09:01
Well not all National Ordnance receivers were good and there were some bad Alpines too. Some Alpines were made overseas and are considered to be soft. National Ordnance also used cut up USGI receivers and then weld then. So what version of the Erma carbines are you say are soft? There were two companies who made them.

M1C
05-14-2020, 11:22
Well not all National Ordnance receivers were good and there were some bad Alpines too. Some Alpines were made overseas and are considered to be soft. National Ordnance also used cut up USGI receivers and then weld then. So what version of the Erma carbines are you say are soft? There were two companies who made them.

It's been a long time since I've read those links I provided but wasn't it Federal Ordnance that welded some GI receivers? And I do sorta now recall something about a soft receiver from one of those makers now that you mention it. I've owned at least 3 of each, but only one ERMA. ERMA was horrible. The others I owned weren't a problem.

But the spring tube holes were done on purpose.