PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Up

Roadkingtrax
02-23-2020, 12:48
M1 matches all over for the day. Beautiful weather today.

All quiet on the southern flank. :)

https://i.imgur.com/NgHGiOs_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

bruce
02-23-2020, 02:28
Beautiful! You are most fortunate to have access to such a nice range. Even better ... matches! Sincerely. bruce.

Roadkingtrax
02-23-2020, 03:17
Thanks Bruce. I now realize my picture is out of focus, but it was a nice morning.

I'm fortunate to have access to three ranges with "active" HP matches. The CMP will be here in a few weeks to administrate the Western Games, or about two weeks of matches, for almost everything, C&R, Rimfire, Vintage Sniper, Small Arms Firing School, Classroom instruction by AMU representatives. E targets will be used again this year, despite the growing pains, they make for a much faster day at the range. The second week is all XTC matches, essentially 4 days of matches to gets zeroes for the EIC on Sunday. Lots of reloading to do, and I've just barely gotten started.

lyman
02-23-2020, 06:26
used to have a job that allowed me to shoot Service Rifle (AR) , Garand Matches, and the odd Vintage (1903) match, ,

miss those days,

Roadkingtrax
02-23-2020, 06:35
I think you need two things. Free weekends and forgiving spouses.:)

lyman
02-23-2020, 07:17
I think you need two things. Free weekends and forgiving spouses.:)

wife was good with it,

I would have her reload the 30.06 while I loaded the 5.56,

my club ran Garand matches and Service Rifle at the same time, usually 2 relays, (50 rounds, short course)

I would shoot the Garand first, then the AR

3rd relay was the local watering hole for a delicious Hot Italian Sandwich, and a cold beverage,,

Roadkingtrax
02-23-2020, 07:22
My local club runs a double header, CMP "B" course matches. Makes it nice training for the National Matches, and Travel Games. We often just shoot our service rifles, and do Standing/Sitting/Standing. Today I brought an M1 for one match.

I do miss sitting with an M1 or 1903, as it adds to the fun. My M14's sit waiting for me to Leg Out, and get back to shooting .30's.

lyman
02-23-2020, 07:56
My local club runs a double header, CMP "B" course matches. Makes it nice training for the National Matches, and Travel Games. We often just shoot our service rifles, and do Standing/Sitting/Standing. Today I brought an M1 for one match.

I do miss sitting with an M1 or 1903, as it adds to the fun. My M14's sit waiting for me to Leg Out, and get back to shooting .30's.

bought a nice CLE Kreiger upper to work on some XTC and leg points,, and had an understanding with the boss on time off to shoot, (being a Store Manager w\ excellent results helped there) then had to switch employers (they left the area) and kilt that thought,

still have it in the safe, with the now antique Jewell trigger (maybe has 250 rounds thru it)

how many points do you need to leg out?

Roadkingtrax
02-23-2020, 08:01
bought a nice CLE Kreiger upper to work on some XTC and leg points,, and had an understanding with the boss on time off to shoot, (being a Store Manager w\ excellent results helped there) then had to switch employers (they left the area) and kilt that thought,

still have it in the safe, with the now antique Jewell trigger (maybe has 250 rounds thru it)

how many points do you need to leg out?

Too many. :) Have 12 now, hoping to pickup the hard leg at Perry this year. Possibly go Pac-Fleet at Camp Pendleton in May. I missed another 6 or 8 in January by 2 poor shots. Just got in my head, and shot like crap at 600.

I've had Master since about a year ago, but the NRA never notified me. I was a sandbagging Expert all summer. LOL

lyman
02-24-2020, 05:48
NRA has been a bit slack in notifications lately,

I haunt a Bullseye forum, and those guys are not happy with some of the changes (venue mostly) and the way the NRA is managing the classifications, (late, no notifications etc)

Sandpebble
05-15-2020, 02:18
Too many. :) Have 12 now, hoping to pickup the hard leg at Perry this year. Possibly go Pac-Fleet at Camp Pendleton in May. I missed another 6 or 8 in January by 2 poor shots. Just got in my head, and shot like crap at 600.

I've had Master since about a year ago, but the NRA never notified me. I was a sandbagging Expert all summer. LOL

Sandbagging Expert...... I made Expert with the M1 while shooting across the course against AR's . For quite some time I held a club record score of 451 with an as issued Garand.

Shot Master scores for two matches and then would blow it by shooting another match with the M1... then two more matches with Master scores and then blow it with another try with the Garand on and on and I was labeled... the Sandbag.

At the second annual Garand Match at Perry I shot my first cross fire.... and watched my friend Jim Sinclair awarded a rifle for his second place finish .

ya brought back some memories... thanks

Roadkingtrax
05-17-2020, 10:31
Shot a social distancing, full distance XTC match yesterday. We all shot a firing point away, even pulled odd, and odd pulled even firing points. First match in nearly 3 months, lots of cobwebs and a few Covid induced pounds to shake off. First shot offhand was an X at 6. That made me smile.

The biggest hurdle was the heat. Range was at 98 degrees when we finished up. Without matches, I've not taken the time to acclimate to our summers. Exercising in the afternoons more should help my cardiovascular shortcomings. Pulse bounce was a big factor.

Sandpebble
05-22-2020, 04:42
"Pulse bounce was a big factor."

When the sight drops and stops ...take your shots