PDA

View Full Version : THE BIG PARADE - 1920’s sileht movie on WW-1

Griff Murphey
02-23-2020, 09:05
Now I know most people won’t even try to watch silent movies. The lack of sound is one drawback... the over-done makeup on the actors and silent film type over-acting can be distracting for modern viewers. However I really do recommend this movie. It was filmed in San Antonio with support from the Second Infantry Division and Kelly Field. Plot revolves around a privileged rich boy who gets swept up in the patriotic fervor and enlists. No problem displaying the scale of WW-1 with a full infantry division at the producers’ disposal. Thankfully the majority of the grunts are not wearing pancake makeup. The convoys of trucks and equipment plus Renault tanks as well as the aviation support make it a must see for those interested in WW-1. Incidentally there are a lot of Krags mixed in with the 03’s. Lots of DH-4s and and Jenny’s flying around I spotted one SE-5, a pair of Spads, and a Fokker D-7 which they did have many of at Kelly, plus an anachronistic flight of Martin MB-2s.

I think the film also shows a lot of social norms and just the stuff of being a soldier that most veterans can identify with - telling me we haven’t changed as much as we might think, in 100+ years.

Your local library likely can loan a copy. Great orchestral modern soundtrack really carries the movie! I recommend it to any military movie fan. The terrain of Camp Bullis is familiar to me from my ROTC there.

fguffey
03-05-2020, 12:15
Mr. Murphy, I have no problem with silent movies, the problem I have with silent movies is convincing the wife the movie is 'silent'.

Lots of DH-4s and Jenny’s flying around I spotted one SE-5, a pair of Spads, and a Fokker D-7 which they did have many of at Kelly, plus an anachronistic flight of Martin MB-2s.

Last year I sold my propeller collection, the oldest propeller was from a J1 Standard. The man I purchased it from said the old plane was a most un-airworthy airplane, he claimed he had to land often to oil the rocker arms between break-downs. He said in the old days there was no such procedure as calling for a weather report; meaning he lost ground on a few of his trips.

F. Guffey

Speaking of books, I have one book full of pictures that won awards, one photographer won an award for taking a photograph of a blast from a big heavy gun, up until that time no one knew what the blast looked like, anyhow, I was impressed.

F. Guffey

clintonhater
04-09-2020, 12:51
Now I know most people won’t even try to watch silent movies. The lack of sound is one drawback... the over-done makeup on the actors and silent film type over-acting can be distracting for modern viewers.

The "overdone" makeup was necessitated by the use of blazing arc-lights, rather than electric lamps, because the film speed of the time was so slow. This was the highest grossing film before Gone With the Wind.

But I'd like to call your attention to the absolutely FINEST WW I documentary that's ever been made...and I've seen them ALL, multiple times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse:_World_War_I

It was produced about 5 yrs ago, but I only became aware of it last year when it was added to a streaming service called Curiosity Stream (best $10 I ever spent!), but it's streamed by other services, including You Tube. So far, I've watched every episode 4 or 5 times.