PDA

View Full Version : Goofy fun thingI saw a

remus
11-26-2019, 03:15
I saw a video of a guy shooting a 20 ga nef or h&r shotgun he'd loaded like a muzzle loader. Darn, I had to try that.
Got the shotgun, an nef break top 20 ga. Needed to shoot a couple of shells to get the bases needed for the task. Cut all the plastic off the bases and decapped the bases and stuck another 209 in them. Four cases in all.

Put the primed base in the gun, close, pour fifty grns 3F down the barrel, force a cleaning patch over the powder, pour in seven eights Oz. shot, force a patch down on top of the shot. Loaded.

Shot it, and it did what it was supposed to. Put seven number six shot into a soda can at about 85 or 90 feet away. The pattern seemed ok at that range, centered the can.
Shot all four bases that I had and it worked all four times

Just a fun thing I had to do. Anybody else here ever try this?

lyman
11-26-2019, 05:06
um, no

free1954
11-27-2019, 07:29
different that's for sure. I wonder if it would qualify as a muzzleloader for hunting where a normal shotgun was not allowed?

lyman
11-27-2019, 09:11
doubt it, since it is still a center fire gun

remus
11-27-2019, 11:33
How about the inline muzzle loaders permitted in the black powder seasons in places. They are center fire.

I only did this lark because it looked like fun, and it was. I'll probably keep doing it.

Some of ya-all might do it.

lyman
11-27-2019, 11:56
How about the inline muzzle loaders permitted in the black powder seasons in places. They are center fire.

I only did this lark because it looked like fun, and it was. I'll probably keep doing it.

Some of ya-all might do it.

those do not take a center fire cartridge,

most use a 209 primer, or cap,

one of out local Smiths has one that uses what is basically a blank pistol round (primed case) to light off a smokeless charge,

https://www.ashlandguninnovations.com/

togor
12-03-2019, 07:10
I dunno. Ramming shot home on a cocked centerfire action. Seems like a bad time for a AD.

PWC
12-03-2019, 10:28
Remis- I saw a video on the i'net like this on a survivalist type thing. He used wadded paper to hold down powder and shot from moving. How did you get the patch to.cover/separate the shot?

remus
12-06-2019, 02:35
I put the shell base in, closed the action. Poured 50 grn 3F down the barrel and tamped a folded cleaning patch down over the powder, I tamped it pretty hard. Then I poured 7/8 oz shot down the barrel and tamped another folded cleaning patch over the shot. Tamped it down pretty well too. I then pointed the gun to the ground to see if it was holding the shot, it was. Then I shot the load at a can about 85 or 90 feet away. Decent pattern. Oversize patches must be used as the gun has a three inch chamber, and when the load is finalized into the gun it is still somewhat below the front of the chamber.

I have used patches of cloth, newspaper, McDonalds paper bag. It is said in olden days that the people used wasps nests, leaves, whatever they could put down on a load. Anything will work long as it'll hold the load where it's supposed to be. It wa just a fun thing to do. Might do it every once in awhile in front of some friends but it won't be an every day thing. Gun cleaned up easily as all it is, is a tube.

Billy Beeza
04-20-2020, 10:32
Novelty, just seems impractical even in a survival situation. Unless I missed something, if you have the ability to cut down and prime a case, you have the ability to reload a fresh shotshell.

Major Tom
05-04-2020, 04:04
No thanks! I like my present physical parts as is!

Conductor
02-28-2021, 10:32
I dunno. Ramming shot home on a cocked centerfire action. Seems like a bad time for a AD.

The gun in question does not automatically cock the hammer when you open it. Cocking the hammer is a separate operation.

lyman
03-01-2021, 05:41
Novelty, just seems impractical even in a survival situation. Unless I missed something, if you have the ability to cut down and prime a case, you have the ability to reload a fresh shotshell.

true,

guess the what if could include that you may have the primers, but no powder....(smokeless) and just black,

re the stuffing in a cocked gun,, the single shots like NEF or H&R don't cock on opening like a traditional break action double, so you don't cock the hammer till you need to

kj47
03-04-2021, 05:34
What the heck- some thing to do and having fun. Hey maybe I can do some thing with the trapdoor.