PDA

View Full Version : New WWI Film - “1917”

Tom Doniphon
11-20-2019, 09:17
There’s a new film about WWI called “1917” that will be coming out on December 25. It’s about two British soldiers who are tasked with delivering a message behind enemy lines. From the trailer it looks like it could be a good one that is very realistic with good special effects. It’s directed by Sam Mendes who has made some good films before including American Beauty, Skyfall, and Road to Perdition. Looking forward to this one.

lyman
11-21-2019, 03:54
I have plans to see it the weekend it comes out,

looking forward to it

bruce
11-21-2019, 04:58
Very cool! Will be looking for it. Sincerely. bruce.

lyman
11-21-2019, 05:04
here is a trailer,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqNYrYUiMfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqNYrYUiMfg

togor
11-21-2019, 06:25
The British SPR? The thing is, "losing 1600 men in a massacre" was of no concern to the British Army and their High Priests practicing the religion of Attrition Warfare. By their logic the Germans would lose 2000 so advantage allies. So no matter how high the production values, the premise is even more ludicrous than SPR. With that said, will watch it when it gets to Netflix.

m1ashooter
11-21-2019, 07:59
I saw the trailer also when I saw Midway. I'll be seeing the movie. The end of the War to End All Wars is over 100 years old and we should remember all those from around the globe who fought in it.

lyman
11-21-2019, 08:28
The British SPR? The thing is, "losing 1600 men in a massacre" was of no concern to the British Army and their High Priests practicing the religion of Attrition Warfare. By their logic the Germans would lose 2000 so advantage allies. So no matter how high the production values, the premise is even more ludicrous than SPR. With that said, will watch it when it gets to Netflix.

it's a movie,,

I'll be looking over the scenery, at the weapons and uniforms etc,

but remember,, it's a movie,,

togor
11-21-2019, 05:53
A Hollywood movie.

lyman
11-21-2019, 07:23
A Hollywood movie.

are you wanting love scenes like in Pearl Harbor??

not happening in this one,

BTW, HBO has been showing They Shall Not Grow Old lately,

saw that one on the Big Screen as well,

excellent movie

togor
11-22-2019, 05:28
Don't know what your problem is, Lyman. You want to stare at the uniforms and make sure that they have the correct boots and rifle slings. I listen to the words coming out of the officers' mouths. Both are evaluations of realism within the context of what may or may not turn out to be a popcorn film. Different directors bring different sensibilities. "Dunkirk" did it one way, "Wonder Woman" did it another.

M1Tommy
11-22-2019, 11:41
I know it will be entertainment-driven tales and such, but I plan to watch it.
There are far, far too few tales told about World War I, and far too many tales of great and terrible acts that should not be forgotten. I hope some day to see a "Battle of Jutland" movie that does some justice to the event.

RE the, "losing 1600 men in a massacre", ..... My son (23, USAF veteran) and I were awaiting the beginning of "Midway" last week and the video preview for this "1917". When that phrase was said, my son noted, "... as if British generals would have cared about that, then...". Very true. Still, I hope for a good movie.
Tommy

lyman
11-22-2019, 11:54
Don't know what your problem is, Lyman. You want to stare at the uniforms and make sure that they have the correct boots and rifle slings. I listen to the words coming out of the officers' mouths. Both are evaluations of realism within the context of what may or may not turn out to be a popcorn film. Different directors bring different sensibilities. "Dunkirk" did it one way, "Wonder Woman" did it another.

I have not a problem,

I'm already planning to see this one Sat after Christmas,
and I'll probably see Midway tomorrow night,

if hollywood messes it up to much, then so be it,

so far the previews look good, (did read someone ask on another forum why they cut the grass in no man's land, LOL)

and it looks to be cast well (Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch typically perform well)

like M1 tommy said, there are way to few good WW1 movies, and doubt this one will be like Flyboys,,,

M1Tommy
11-22-2019, 12:05
I'm already planning to see this one Sat after Christmas,
and I'll probably see Midway tomorrow night,

if hollywood messes it up to much, then so be it,

IMHO, "Midway" was watchable and entertaining. It has considerable Hollyweird-ness but , if you let yourself go along, it is entertaining and uplifting.
Tommy

lyman
11-22-2019, 12:35
IMHO, "Midway" was watchable and entertaining. It has considerable Hollyweird-ness but , if you let yourself go along, it is entertaining and uplifting.
Tommy

honestly , most of them do (the hollywierdness) but as long as they are entertaining

here's another that shows potential,

hopefully they do it as well as Band of Brothers was done

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/10/13/another-wwii-series-from-steven-spielberg-and-tom-hanks-is-on-the-way/

M1Tommy
11-22-2019, 12:53
...........here's another that shows potential,

hopefully they do it as well as Band of Brothers was done

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/10/13/another-wwii-series-from-steven-spielberg-and-tom-hanks-is-on-the-way/

Yep, I too hope that is well done, and look forward to watching it.

Although I'd rather see a movie about the Battle off Samar, this may be good:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6048922/

Actually the entire Battle of Leyte Gulf would be worthy of a multi-part movie....

Tommy

lyman
11-22-2019, 02:11
I'm at a gunshow this weekend,
there is a guy here that sells DVD's, mostly war movies,
a lot are European, (subtitled) that look very interesting,

I usually go by a couple times (if I can get away from the tables for a few) and look his stuff over,

he has multiple TV's set up showing a different genre on each,

togor
11-22-2019, 05:25
WW1 is a tough one. People focus on the trenches too much. Better would be the opening weeks, say a screenplay of The Guns of August, or maybe a good treatment of small unit action in the Argonne-Meuse.

free1954
11-23-2019, 05:47
I know it will be entertainment-driven tales and such, but I plan to watch it.
There are far, far too few tales told about World War I, and far too many tales of great and terrible acts that should not be forgotten. I hope some day to see a "Battle of Jutland" movie that does some justice to the event.

RE the, "losing 1600 men in a massacre", ..... My son (23, USAF veteran) and I were awaiting the beginning of "Midway" last week and the video preview for this "1917". When that phrase was said, my son noted, "... as if British generals would have cared about that, then...". Very true. Still, I hope for a good movie.
Tommy

indeed. i'll go and see it on the big screen, no matter what the reviews are.

Griff Murphey
01-05-2020, 08:04
I thought it was pretty decent, PC raised its head with “unlikely for WW-1 minorities” mixed in with the Tommies of old. The only thing I can nitpick other than that is why only one stripper clip of 5 in their Enfields as they pushed off into No Man’s Land.

lyman
01-05-2020, 08:48
I had planned to see it last weekend after the gunshow,

but,,,,,,,,

while it was released on the day promised,, it was only available in one theater in DC,,

all the theaters near the show and the hotel we were in did not start until Jan 10th,,

so, since we did not want to venture into DC,, (traffic is horrible even at night) we will go next weekend

P51MUSTANG
01-09-2020, 09:24
Lymnan….Let us know your review....

lyman
01-09-2020, 12:31
will do, hoping to see it Sat Night

kb1903
01-12-2020, 03:48
Saw it last night. Pretty far fetched. Kept waiting for the "good part". Never arrived! Save your money.

tmark
01-12-2020, 06:54
Great movie. I recommend it.

lyman
01-16-2020, 12:05
I still have not been able to see this,,

however did find this

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-history-behind-1917-movie-180973800/

m1ashooter
01-16-2020, 06:14
I saw the movie and will say from the beginning until they made it through the german trenches by heart was pounding. After that until the final scenes I kinda got disinterested. The beginning shows the horror of the trenches and no mans land. It was just an ok movie for me. I enjoyed Dunkirk much better. As a gear junkie I thought they did a very good job.

lyman
02-20-2020, 08:03
finally saw this on the big screen,

got there late so had crappy front row seats (my fault,,, )

movie was very good,

fast paced, and well done

Mark in Ottawa
04-20-2020, 09:48
Of course, the whole premise of the movies is flawed. It would be a fairly simple thing to have an airplane fly over and drop a message to the troops rather than have a couple of messengers try to do it.

togor
04-24-2020, 09:29
Of course, the whole premise of the movies is flawed. It would be a fairly simple thing to have an airplane fly over and drop a message to the troops rather than have a couple of messengers try to do it.

Send an airplane! D'oh!