PDA

View Full Version : "Where's The Edge?"

togor
11-18-2019, 03:43
That is the question I would ask any flat-earther. "Grab a camera. Take a picture of it and show us."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/16/us/flat-earth-conference-conspiracy-theories-scli-intl/index.html

lyman
11-18-2019, 07:03
too many folks read Terry Pratchett as gospel or a science paper, instead of the Sci Fi it is?

dryheat
11-18-2019, 09:37
To silly to even discuss.

Flat Earth International Conference-
Same folks who have gone to every Star Trek convention.

togor
11-18-2019, 10:52
And yet some people persuade themselves of such things. And how many other subjects qualify as flat earths in their own right? UFOs? Bigfoot?

Marty T.
11-18-2019, 11:27
Climate change?

lyman
11-18-2019, 11:38
To silly to even discuss.

Flat Earth International Conference-
Same folks who have gone to every Star Trek convention.

hey now!!

I went to one small ST & Comic convention here in town, many moons ago,
Scotty was the speaker,

good times,

and yes,

the Earth is round

togor
11-18-2019, 12:14
Climate change?

Actually there is a ton of evidence for that. If CO2 was not odorless and tasteless, everyone would know the levels are going up all the time. It's effect on energy absorption is well-studied. We'd be on a ice world if not for CO2. Yes, some is good, too much maybe not. (Trying to avoid turning this into a CO2 thread)

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously, if anyone ever meets a flat-earther, please ask them for me where the edge is. I mean, if there isn't one, then free land out there on the horizon, right? It boggles the mind.

lyman
11-18-2019, 02:30
Psychotics here voices too.

but do they listen?

dryheat
11-18-2019, 03:31
You can talk to yourself, you can answer yourself, but don't get into an argument with yourself -Gollum.

jon_norstog
11-19-2019, 09:04
If the earth were flat, you should be able to see right to the edge - on a very clear day. You go to sea at all, you can see the horizon from main deck. Go up to O2/climb to the maintop and you can see a horizon that is farther away. That means your ship is on a curved surface. If you can sail around it one direction and return to home port, it is a surface with a closed curve.

It's a myth that sailors were terrified they might fall off the edge. Press-ganged landsmen, maybe. There was plenty else to fear once you sailed past the Pillars of Hercules.

jn

togor
11-19-2019, 10:49
If the earth were flat, you should be able to see right to the edge - on a very clear day. You go to sea at all, you can see the horizon from main deck. Go up to O2/climb to the maintop and you can see a horizon that is farther away. That means your ship is on a curved surface. If you can sail around it one direction and return to home port, it is a surface with a closed curve.

It's a myth that sailors were terrified they might fall off the edge. Press-ganged landsmen, maybe. There was plenty else to fear once you sailed past the Pillars of Hercules.

jn

And if there was no edge (if some somehow think that), then either an infinite sheet or closed spheroid. Geometry gives us no other options. An endless sheet would solve a lot of social problems. But COMSATs and NAVSATs would have problems.

lyman
11-19-2019, 11:40
maybe we should create a ring world?

pmclaine
11-19-2019, 12:12
Flat earth, Russia collusion, bribery, man man induced climate change..........all held back progress and all were/will be proven false.

togor
11-19-2019, 01:07
Flat earth, Russia collusion, bribery, man man induced climate change..........all held back progress and all were/will be proven false.

Climate change and round earth deniers both are choosing to go with their 5 senses over the great mass of scientific data on what is admittedly a pretty big subject--the whole planet. The earth seems as flat to them as it did 20 years ago, at least around here, and more or less the same temperature.

Now is there such a thing as a flat-earther who also believes in climate change? Gotta meet that guy!

RED
11-19-2019, 05:46
Climate change and round earth deniers both are choosing to go with their 5 senses over the great mass of scientific data on what is admittedly a pretty big subject--the whole planet. The earth seems as flat to them as it did 20 years ago, at least around here, and more or less the same temperature.

Now is there such a thing as a flat-earther who also believes in climate change? Gotta meet that guy!

That guy is you. You are totally convinced that climate warming is happening because of hair spray and cows farting. That is as stupid as the flat earth jerks that are just jerking chains... they seriously do not believe the earth is flat. Just as you seriously don't believe that global warming is man made. It is just a "up yours," farce. The earth warms and cools over thousands of years not from year to year, or decade to decade, or century to century.

It is another opportunity for you to spew your hatred.

togor
11-19-2019, 07:27
Red if satire it's pretty dry but sure, okay.

Merc
11-22-2019, 10:55

jn

I believe that seven miles is the maximum distance an object can be seen at the water level. The distance increases in proportion to the height of both objects. It’s interesting to be driving along Interstate 90 in Erie County, PA on a clear day and look out across Lake Erie and be able to see Long Point, Ont and realize that it’s probably about 19 miles away. Of course, portions of I-90 are elevated a hundred or more feet above the water level.

lyman
11-22-2019, 12:01
I believe that seven miles is the maximum distance an object can be seen at the water level. The distance increases in proportion to the height of both objects. It’s interesting to be driving along Interstate 90 in Erie County, PA on a clear day and look out across Lake Erie and be able to see Long Point, Ont and realize that it’s probably about 19 miles away. Of course, portions of I-90 are elevated a hundred or more feet above the water level.

I was standing on the beach at Dover (on I was told a rare bright sunny day) in Mar 2008 and could see Calais France,