PDA

View Full Version : New Poster Here

Doco Overboard
10-25-2019, 04:07
This is my first time introductory post on this forum. My interest are o3's, Krag rifles, 17's, Shtle and No 4 rifles. In my spare time I tinker with unwanted parts and try to make decent shooters out of them.
I have a modest home work shop where sometimes I re-barrel the above mentioned examples, do fitting and wood repairs and amateur metal/wood refinishing.
I'm a hobby re-loader, hunter, member of the GCA, NRA life member, volunteer engineer at a rural fire company and still work in the electrical distribution industry for over 30 years.
Thanks for allowing me to be part of the community.

PWC
10-25-2019, 04:30
Welcome, looks like you have a wide background. Always good to see interest in old wooden warriors, bettern' plastic.

You will meet trolls, don't take them personally, most of us don't. I'm sure you can help others here; there is a lot of experience here.

lyman
10-25-2019, 05:18
Welcome

come on in and sit a while!!

Doco Overboard
10-25-2019, 05:28
Welcome, looks like you have a wide background. Always good to see interest in old wooden warriors, bettern' plastic.

You will meet trolls, don't take them personally, most of us don't. I'm sure you can help others here; there is a lot of experience here.

Welcome

come on in and sit a while!!

Thanks for the welcome

M1Tommy
10-25-2019, 06:07
There are some good folks and some real-life gurus here.
Enjoy!

Welcome, Tommy

bruce
10-25-2019, 06:29
Welcome aboard! Here you will find people who together possess a wealth of knowledge about all sorts of things including military rifles old and new! Sincerely. bruce.

IditarodJoe
10-26-2019, 02:59
Welcome, Doco.

fguffey
01-23-2020, 07:59
Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post

I would like to think you are fair and objective and I would hope you know to be cautious of the person that that claims you can not believe other members.

A new member became a member of a reloading forum, no one warned him about what to expect. He joined the forum to get ideals, methods and or techniques that he was not familiar with. First he ask about casting a chamber, as expected the answers came pouring in from all of the same old sources. The members did not understand the questions because the new member wanted to know if "that is all there is?" As expected old members turned on him and started with the insults.

So? I got involved, I apologized on the behalf of the forum and then the forum turned on me. I have no ideal what they were afraid of but if they can not cast a chamber they should refer him to someone or somewhere that does. I contacted him off line with my email address and phone number.

He called we got started; first I told him I was the only person that did not get my chamber casting skills from the Internet, I explained to him my instructions do not start with 'all you have to do is etc.' or like the instructions on one of the Shooter Forums. They start with 'easy peasiy' or 'it is no big thing'.

Once he got over the shock of how different it was from the Internet Method he learned fast, he made a few changes with no apology, seems it was necessary when casting the chamber of the MI Garand. Over a period of 2 months he called about other small matters about chambers, what happens to the case when sized and fired etc. I also helped him with verifying. I also helped him with a solid understanding of the datum.

I do not allow anyone to prodigious my opinion, again, I have no ideal what they are afraid of.

I have made my mind up there are a number of skills, methods and or techniques they do not want to know about.

F. Guffey

Doco Overboard
01-23-2020, 06:56
Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate your insight. I believe there is something to be gleaned from all the posters on this site and enjoy it very much. I also enjoy reading your posts because there is always something to be gleaned from them.
I also think two heads are better than one and no one is smarter than everybody in the room together.
I learned to make chamber cast using yellow sulfur when I had no money to buy Cerro-safe. I broke a lot of them until I learned how to get good one I could use. They were always very fragile and would humble you quick if all at once you thought you knew something the other guy didn't.

fguffey
01-24-2020, 06:26
And you are welcome.

I learned to make chamber cast using yellow sulfur when I had no money to buy Cerro-safe. I broke a lot of them until I learned how to get good one I could use.

I have never used sulfur, when I started casting chambers I did not have the Internet, all I had was a box of tools. When the Internet became available I became aware my methods and or techniques were different over a wide range of task.

humble you quick if all at once you thought you knew something the other guy didn't.

So do not be afraid to ask, I enjoy working with members that can focus.

F. Guffey