PDA

View Full Version : Caveat Emptor!

togor
10-01-2019, 05:59
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/833595655

The description:

10 COUNT REAL DEAL LAKE CITY Roufoss API HE. These are the high explosive 30 caliber version of the MK211 50 BMG round. These projectiles are more powerful than standard API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) .308, 7.62x51, .30-06 300 Winchester Magnum loads will pierce at least 1 inch cold-rolled steel from what I've seen, but can pierce thicker steel depending on pressure and match caliber load. (300 Winchester Magnum= 2+ inches penetration!). These bullets are match grade and function flawlessly, holding 1-MOA or better depending on the shooter, Inside outer jacket is a tungsten carbide penetrator, a barium titanium sponge, and zirconium sponge. The penetrator rips through the outer jacket upon impact, exposing the chemical compound mixture, both forcing clean through the hard target and incinerating everything within a 20 ft. radius at 7,000+ degrees. These were made by Lake City for European contract but where cancelled and the tips did not undergo the painting process. This accounts for the lack of paint, as is one of the final processes before consignee distribution. BY bidding on this item you are affirming that there are NO local or state laws prohibiting you from purchasing/ owning this item @ your location. Thanks for your business. !!PLEASE CONTACT ME FIRST TO INSURE THEY ARE STILL AVAILABLE!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO PURCHASE MORE OF THESE. I'VE CURRENTLY GOT 40 MORE OF THESE AT A DISCOUNT PRICE. THE MORE YOU BUY THE MORE YOU'LL SAVE. I WILL THEN QUOTE YOU A DEAL PRICE DEPENDING ON HOW MANY YOU WANT. REGARDS.

The thing is, no such projectiles were ever made. The auction is pure BS. These bullets are pulled Soviet 7.62x54R API projectiles pushed through a .308 sizing die (which explains the faint cannelure marks).

The bidding is the amazing thing. At this writing, $28/bullet and reserve still not met! Whatever else we can say about brad_labonte, he has balls. That's a decent bullet, but no more "fun" than a USGI M14A1 bullet, and those can be had for less than $5 each.

Oh and nothing like saying it's the real deal and then misspelling Raufoss.

This auction is more like it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/829899681

dryheat
10-02-2019, 02:50
-and incinerating everything within a 20 ft. radius at 7,000+ degrees- A dump truck load of hyperbole.
Remember the caps you used to shoot with your cap pistol? Old guys only. I actually hacksawed into the tip of one and a few sparks flew. I did light off a nearly empty camp stove canister with one one time. It did make a bright burst of about fifteen feet and the canister flew ten feet in the air. Loads of fun. Yeah, you could incinerate an entire town under the right conditions but so can a Strike Anywhere match. When you walk across the carpet and touch the light switch and you get a shock, it's 50,000 degrees but it's a tiny spark. I might be off on the exact figure. Barium and titanium, yikes. What, no green superman poison?

barretcreek
10-02-2019, 10:49
Probably listed by some staffer to Schumer or Swallwell. "Look what they sell online!".

togor
10-02-2019, 11:20
Probably listed by some staffer to Schumer or Swallwell. "Look what they sell online!".

This guy has been pushing these for years, so I'll say "no". I have some interest in this area of collecting and met some guys over the years who are really knowledgeable about this stuff. Some people applaud the frauds, most don't. Cheats and suckers attract each other.

Sunray
10-02-2019, 11:20
The BS on the assorted auction sites always amazes me. The 7.62x54R doesn't use .308" bullets and there has never been an "explosive" .30 calibre bullet made by anybody. The amount of HE you could fit into one wouldn't be enough to do more than annoy people.
Not to mention that incendiaries are considered to be evil by the ATF.
That "2+ inches penetration" is nonsense too.