PDA

View Full Version : Heat Warning!

S.A. Boggs
07-18-2019, 02:39
Getting hot again to a dangerous level for some of us old ones. I go out early in the morning to feed and water the chickens, they have plenty of shade under the trees. Dogs go out every couple of hours then back into the A/C.
Sam

PWC
07-18-2019, 03:11
Tues was 115 degrees on my shaded patio in Phoenix. Last 2 weeks from 110 to 112. Things still have to be done tho, just slower, and with more breaks. I have a portable mister for when I can sit at the bench to work. And always WATER...

blackhawknj
07-18-2019, 03:41
June 28, 1778-the Battle of Monmouth was fought in 90 degree heat. You're a British soldier, tricorn hat, red wool coat, vest, long pants-now THAT is hot !

dryheat
07-19-2019, 03:55
I'm not a morning person. My theory is, after the sun goes down, the moisture settles(I hate humidity). If you go to work at sunrise your working with that overnight humidity. I prefer to nap at about 2 p.m.- then watch a little t.v.- Then right at about 5 p.m.(after I have had a whole day to mull it out) get outside and work at whatever, until it gets too dark(sometimes the plan goes amiss, but there's always tomorrow). Before you accuse me of being a lazy sob, consider that I have invented a couple of things(don't look for my name at the patent office). There are numerous things that I have fixed that saved me hundreds of dollars. The Brits had to have thought, this sucks.

lyman
07-19-2019, 05:28
wool coats, etc etc,
and likely high humidity as well,

must have been miserable,

re the 5pm thing, this is usually the hottest time of the day, (5AM supposedly the coolest)

either way, I sweat, alot,

I was in a house going thru an estate yesterday, had to clear a path to the vintage AC window unit that fortunately still worked,

it was hot outside (mid 90's) not far off upstairs in this house, but after an hour the AC cooled it down a bit, and I had by then sweated thru my clothes, (wet, yet cool)

guy is a hoarder, and a messy one at that, so I'll go back one afternoon next week and finish it up, with an extra tshirt, or 3

Mark in Ottawa
07-19-2019, 06:22
Even here in the "Great White North" its getting hot. The projected humidex for tomorrow is 108 F. One of the points of pride for Ottawa is that we're the coldest national capital in the world (along with Ulan Batour in Mongolia) - but not this week

S.A. Boggs
07-19-2019, 06:43
Part of the "found" realities of the construction is what I thought. I thought that I had enough ventilation in the greenhouse, no way! Yesterday I installed the largest exhaust fan that the greenhouse can accommodate with the wall construction and piped it via an aluminum tunnel to the outside. Trying to keep the temperature below 95! With adequate watering and oscillating fans the plants are doing great.
Our heat index is to be between 104 and 108 with a slight breeze Friday and Saturday with severe thunderstorms coming in on Sunday.
Sam

Dan Shapiro
07-19-2019, 08:19
Judging by all the hysteria of the talking heads in the media this morning, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

S.A. Boggs
07-19-2019, 09:04
Judging by all the hysteria of the talking heads in the media this morning, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

6 months from now the same people will be screaming about the cold and still lamenting about the global warning!
Sam

Allen
07-19-2019, 09:26

That's the same attitude city dwellers of NYC and Chicago have when power is lost for just a few hours. What would it be like for them after a hurricane where power is off for weeks and only restored after the damage is repaired to your home and surroundings?

Allen
07-19-2019, 09:33
6 months from now the same people will be screaming about the cold and still lamenting about the global warning!
Sam

The liberals only call it global warming during the summer when it is always hot. 6 months from now when it traditionally gets cold it will be called climate change.

Everybody knows though that even if any of this were true it could be cured by dumping billions if not trillions of dollars into a big slush fund for many years--even though it didn't.

Sunray
07-19-2019, 10:43
Rule Number 6 reads, "Thou shalt not whine about the heat and the cold. Pick one." snicker.
"...WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!..." We're all gonna die, Patrick. Bernard Cornwell. Also snicker.

dryheat
07-19-2019, 01:33
I live in AZ. It can't get cold enough for me. I don't mind the nice dry heat. I lived in TX for three years. I won't even fly over that state. You couldn't pay me enough to live in New Orleans or Tampa. I think the most miserable day I ever spent was in Chicago. It was this big outdoor food festival. I stayed under a tree the whole time. I wondered why everyone just didn't go home and sit in front of the A/C. The next time I visited IL. I played it smart and went in the fall. Everything was brown and dead. I had the worst allergy attack of my life. I don't like IL much.

Climate change is supposedly going to wreck the planet. There are about eight billion people on Earth. If we lost a couple billion of the dumb ones I don't think anyone would really miss them, but that isn't working out. They are all just going to move to the mid latitudes.

S.A. Boggs
07-19-2019, 01:59
@1600 my porch thermometer is reading 82 degrees F, not bad under my big trees. In the greenhouse it is 93, with high humidity inside and out.
Sam

blackhawknj
07-19-2019, 02:22
Here in Central NJ in the summer of 1966 there were several 100 degree days. There was a killer heat wave in the Summer of 1896 that killed 1,500 people in NYC.

PWC
07-19-2019, 05:31
@1600 my porch thermometer is reading 82 degrees F, not bad under my big trees. In the greenhouse it is 93, with high humidity inside and out.
Sam

At 0200 in Phoenix it may be 82 degrees. I spent my late teens in Mississippi whered humidity seldom gets below 30%. In the summer everything is done slowly, and on the winter, the wind will go thru ylu like a knife.

Feb 1958 it snowed in Jackson and stayed 3 days. I made an 8' snowwoman in our front yard. Winter of 1989, it snowed 1" and stayed 1 day, in Phoenix. It was the day of my daughter's wedding and I wiped off the top of the car and measured the accumulation.

Sunray
07-20-2019, 10:06
"...snowed 1"..." Came out of the Apt. building one day about 10 years ago. November Thursday, as I recall. It had snowed 2 FEET in 3 hours. Snow was even with the top of the bumper on a full sized F-150 with as much on the cap. I went back in and tried to get through to the work house by phone. The snow was entirely gone by Sunday.
"...several 100 degree days..." Talked to a woman from Dallas/Fort Worth when working at a call centre years ago. She said it had been 100F for a week. I think that was why the internet was down. Boxes on the poles were over heating.
"...can't get cold enough for me..." Trade you our occasional -40(same on both scales. Friggin' cold.) for your +40C. Was on a CF exercise one time at -40C. The Army in their ultimate wisdom gave us fresh rations. Tomatoes turn to rocks at -40. The 3 feet of snow was nothing. We couldn't feed or water the troopies. There was miracle though. I had driven my '73 Nova and it started without a whimper after 2 days.

Former Cav
07-21-2019, 04:15
that's nothing.
back around 1996 or so it was an ACTUAL MINUS 60 in Minnesota (Embarass was the town's name if I remember correctly).
I remember having 3 weeks at a time up there where it would be close to MINUS 30 at night and the high for the day was like MINUS 2 to MINUS 12.
I am in Phoenix now. Can't say I enjoy 115, but I get 8 months of good weather here vs maybe 1 to 4 months in MN.
That and nobody wanted to honor my Tricare up there for many years. bunch of libtards. glad I'm GONE! NO desire to EVER go back.