PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Mauser

sop2510
03-17-2010, 04:46
I'm interested in buying a K98k and wanted to know if the advertisements I see for Mitchell's Mausers are legit. I've had good experience purchasing rifles online, but wasn't sure if the glitzy full-color ads Mitchell's runs in American Rifleman and other publications are accurate. If you've had any experience with these folks, please send me a PM.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

dave
03-17-2010, 07:15
They are NOT collector rifles, their ads border on fraud, maybe they are! They are not original as made rifles, they are original parts which have been renumbered to match, refinished and assembled in new stocks. Probably Russian Capture guns which were already redone once by the Russians. That being said---if you want a nice pretty shooter, are not a 'collector' and do not care if it is an "investment" or not they are probably not a bad deal. You have to decide for yourself what you want.

sop2510
03-17-2010, 09:06
I'm just a shooter who likes WWII rifles. I'm more interested in function over looks; however, I don't want junk either. If there are better sources than Mitchell's, please let me know.
And thanks for the response.
Bob

dave
03-19-2010, 11:48
I'm just a shooter who likes WWII rifles. I'm more interested in function over looks; however, I don't want junk either. If there are better sources than Mitchell's, please let me know.
And thanks for the response.
Bob

The only thing I can suggest is to go to gun shows and check RC's. I have not kept up with prices on Mitchells, Russian Captures are going up in price 300+ or -. But you will see what you get and you can redo the stock yourself. They are not good looking as they are but I am more a collector so its in the eye of the beholder. Some are better then others. They should function fine, after all the Russkeys redid them to use. I do not like the false ads Mitchells puts out so I am against them, I guess. Check the bore, ammo was corrsive in WW11.

Sarge
03-25-2010, 01:25
ANYWHERE is a better place to buy a K98k than mitchels Mausers!!!
For a shooter the RCs are the best deal. Just look the rifle over before you buy it or if from the internet get photos and ask lots of questions. Almost all the RCs are good rifles, but some are ratty.
Sarge

randy langford
03-25-2010, 11:05
I agree with what has been said Mitchels are just over priced refinished guns also you might want to learn the receiver codes some are worth more than others I have a S/42 paid $275 and it is far more accurate than than my old eyes are capable of.

leftyo
03-25-2010, 04:43
i personally would stay far away from mitchells! when i think mitchells, i think fraudulent!

Embalmer
03-26-2010, 06:06
I got a really nice RC BYF 44 k98 from them. I was looking for more of a shooter representation of a k98, and all other byf's I was searching for were pitted to hell, and swastikas were peened or grounded. I liked how they were refurbished, and the only part that looks like was possibly restamped to match was the floor plate (dif font from the rest of numbers). The barrel is in great shape, all waa's and swastikas are intact, came with front sight hood, cleaning rod, capture screws, faint waffenapts on stock, large cup type buttplate, and is deadly accurate at 150 yards. I didnt buy it to sell in 20 years for much of a return, I bought it for looks, and to shoot it till I can no longer shoot. Over all think I did really well for the 500 I paid for it as saved me the effort to restore it with refinish and parts. Thats just my opinion though.

HoosierDaddy
03-27-2010, 03:33
Mitchell's pretty much sums it up when they advertise Yugo 1948 rifles as WW2 German Mausers.

pzjgr
03-30-2010, 05:31
Mitchell's are pimp shined junk, not worth a quarter of what they sell for. They are merely pimp shined RC's. Their "matching" numbers are numbers ground off and restamped. Their bolts are ALWAYS in the white, while NO 98k was ever issued with an in the white bolt. Gew 98 bolts and receivers were left in the white, but NEVER a 98k bolt, not as manufactured.

Go to the 98k forum on Gunboards and search for Mitchells, that will tell you all you need to know. They are outright liars.

jisii
04-06-2010, 09:52
I agree they have been going up in price but some I've seen recently that border on the ridiculous. One went at a local auction last week for $250.00 with a mismatched bolt, mixed numbers, a scrubbed receiver and drilled and tapped on both receiver rings (with no scope mount). However, I really like the K98. I got mine, an RC bcd 4 from IO about 4 years ago for $190.00 including shipping and I consider myself lucky. It has turned out to be my best milsurp shooter. I can get better groups from this K98 than any of my 8 Springfields, 3 M1s or various enfields, Mosins etc. I have added a period correct K98 bayonet (local auction $16.00), a repro sling and have removed the Russian red shellac since purchase.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/jisii/Mausers/K98collage2small.jpg

dave
04-23-2010, 07:06
I have never read anything good said about Mitchell's (one good comment on this thread only). I wonder how they ever make any money?

dave
04-23-2010, 07:10
jisii----That one has some nice blue on it. RC's usually have that dull black finish, same say its paint, and are ugly as he**!