PDA

View Full Version : Dick's--still living up to its name

Allen
03-13-2019, 05:30
Now they are discontinuing hunting rifles in 125 stores. I personally don't know of anyone who buys from them much less would buy a firearm from them so this isn't going to affect our area at all. They could sell machine guns and not attract buyers.

Dick's, for all your tennis ball and athletic underwear needs.

Hopefully this extension of the left wing will go down the tube soon.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/dicks-will-remove-hunting-rifles-from-125-stores-170829124.html

Vern Humphrey
03-13-2019, 07:38
The seem determined to commit commercial suicide -- and I say, let them do it and good riddance.

lyman
03-13-2019, 08:16
Dick’s has seen same-store-sales declines since then, and some have blamed that on politics, but Dick’s stock is up 10% since that move, and up 12% in 2019 so far.

article also mentions Under Armor and Reebok,

both of which affected sales and profits more so than the firearms sales

JB White
03-13-2019, 08:52
It's all about marketing and returns for their investors. If you want to blame someone, then blame the majority of their customer traffic. They don't buy X so X gets dropped from inventory.
I have noticed that those who boycott Dick's are the same ones who bitch and moan about them dropping products. WTF do you expect?

*added* In the past 10+ years I have only purchased one rifle and a few boxes of shotshells from Dick's. So I'm just as much to blame. Same goes for Kmart, Sears, Walmart, Sports Authority, and a host of other big box and major department stores over the years. Heck, I don't even buy from Cabelas/Bass Pro anymore because I get better prices and service from mom and pop stores.

Allen
03-13-2019, 09:42
I'm not convinced they are in the market to make money in the first place otherwise they would sell everything legal that people actually wanted. You can buy tennis shoes and underwear anywhere so why not market ALL sporting goods? I think they may be funded by Soros and others as a brainwashing institute to help get the message across that guns are evil, guns kill people, guns are the reason for all crime and guns are not sporting goods.

In real life they couldn't survive in the high rent areas, ridiculous inventory and the numerous stores which are void of customers.

lyman
03-13-2019, 10:28
I'm not convinced they are in the market to make money in the first place otherwise they would sell everything legal that people actually wanted. You can buy tennis shoes and underwear anywhere so why not market ALL sporting goods? I think they may be funded by Soros and others as a brainwashing institute to help get the message across that guns are evil, guns kill people, guns are the reason for all crime and guns are not sporting goods.

In real life they couldn't survive in the high rent areas, ridiculous inventory and the numerous stores which are void of customers.

the CEO is one who dislikes firearms,
if this 'test' , like the last 'test' goes well, they will likely remove all firearms and accessories,

I am fairly sure more hunters buy from Walmart around here (some stores have firearms, others do not) than the Dicks in this area,

JimF
03-13-2019, 10:34
The Dick’s near me sells most everything at MSRP!

Who pays MSRP now-a-days?

RED
03-13-2019, 04:04
The problem with Dick's is they are (as said before) selling to the high end customer that wants the best of everything. Almost every one of the people that I know that actually hunt and shoot knows a helluva lot more about guns and ammo than any employee in a Dick's store and they are not going to pay retail for their guns... unless there is some sort of political ploy that screws up the supply and demand equation (ie a togor favorite being elected President). If Hillary had been President instead of Trump, AR's would be going for $10,000 and ammo at $10/round.

Merc
03-13-2019, 05:10
Why is it that most “high end” customers tend to be liberal? They seem to favor the party who wants to tax their money the most.

Dick’s could have publicly remained neutral and quietly phased out offering certain types of guns without making a liberal policy statement. Was it their intention to boost sales by liberals by alienating conservatives?

Their stock was trading in the $60s in 2016 and closed today at $34 and earnings are dismal. The board should be asking the CEO some tough questions.

Allen
03-13-2019, 05:18
Their stock was trading in the $60s in 2016 and closed today at $34 and earnings are dismal.

And yet the articles state that their stock is higher after stopping the sale of guns. I guess they are looking at a 3 day swing or something and not the 3 year 50% loss. You're right though, if they wanted to stop selling rifles they could have just stopped and few people would have noticed. Instead they make their political statement. Just like the FBI and news media, everybody wants to play politics.

lyman
03-13-2019, 05:48
yall forgot golf,

dick's sells a lot of golf stuff around here,

or did last time I was in one,, which was maybe 3 yrs ago

Merc
03-13-2019, 06:58
News sources with a liberal bias will twist the facts to suit their liberal agenda. They can’t hide the numbers though. Many institutional investors bail out automatically at the first sign of controversy. If there’s one thing that the market hates is a controversy and the uncertainty it brings. Boeing is a good example. Dick’s lost half of their market capitalization for poor earnings and publicly announcing a strategy that alienated half of their potential customer base. That’s a combination that should get the CEO fired.

Vern Humphrey
03-13-2019, 07:26
News sources with a liberal bias will twist the facts to suit their liberal agenda. They can’t hide the numbers though. Many institutional investors bail out automatically at the first sign of controversy. If there’s one thing that the market hates is a controversy and the uncertainty it brings. Boeing is a good example. Dick’s lost half of their market capitalization for poor earnings and publicly announcing a strategy that alienated half of their potential customer base. That’s a combination that should get the CEO fired.

And if the stockholders could fire him, they probably would. But thanks to Congress, stockholders don't have that power anymore.

Merc
03-13-2019, 07:46
Stockholders vote with their feet (or wallets) to make a CEO change. Then, it’s up to the board.

kj47
03-14-2019, 05:38
Like stated here by others, everything is MSRP. have not been in their stores in years.

Merc
03-14-2019, 08:32
I do most of my shopping for shooting, boating and fishing supplies at Cabelas which is about a 1 hour drive in Wheeling, WV. The shelves are always well stocked and they nearly always have what I’m looking for. I usually take the wife along and we make a day of it and stop somewhere for lunch. I’ve also ordered stuff through their on-line catalog.

I really don’t know if I’m paying MSRP at Cabelas. I know these big box stores operate on a certain margin which is the selling price minus their cost and overhead. What drives the selling price lower is the store’s ability to buy at lower prices which they can do by buying greater quantities which is Walmart’s business model. Dicks had a margin problem over the past couple years which is reflected in their lower earnings.

Amazon is going to put a lot of brick and mortar stores out of business.

Allen
03-14-2019, 09:21
Amazon is going to put a lot of brick and mortar stores out of business.

True, and they already are, but Amazon will never sell guns and ammo. All the more reason a store like Dick's, if they intend to compete and stay in business should not sell only what you can buy anywhere else.

Former Cav
03-15-2019, 04:42
bye by to dicks.
they won't be around long.
I haven't been in one of there stores in years. I always thought their prices were sky high.

blackhawknj
03-15-2019, 04:45
They've been on my boycott list for years.

holdover
03-15-2019, 06:47
About 10 years ago I got some great firearm deals at Dick's, purchased a 700 Rem HB 308 for 150.00 less than I could find anywhere else, and I was a dealer, same with a 870 shotgun,then they decided to pull black rifles and it has been going down hill since. I haven't been in the store in Roanoke Va for over 8 years. We have a Gander Outdoors, and a Sportsman's Warehouse here that with the sales you can do good. I don't have much use for tennis balls and sneakers..

dryheat
03-15-2019, 08:16
There will be sneakers. I have been in a Dicks on two occasions. I got a great deal on a pair of Gore-tex boots. $29. I couldn't believe it. I went back again looking for a winter vest. They had none except for one example of a North Face vest(down) for $100. But, downstairs there were hundreds and hundreds of stupid looking(orange, green, purple, ect.) "running shoes". I haven't been back. I guess we are all pretty much in agreement.