PDA

View Full Version : Any RC Aircraft Enthusiasts?

togor
03-06-2019, 08:08
This is taking it to another level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SJJT__-0J4

PWC
03-06-2019, 09:05
Thanks for that, along way frpm the lld ducted fan models. I'm a control line guy eversince my first Ringmaster.

dryheat
03-06-2019, 09:28
I like to watch that stuff. I watch a lot of it on utube. I have a tiny toy helocoptor but that's as much as I've flown. Some of the jets are really fast and realistic. The Virgin Atlantic is huge. I wonder what the size limit is.

Sunray
03-06-2019, 10:44
The RC guys have been playing with stuff, jets included, like that for eons. Some models can drop bombs. Think it was a B-52 I saw in some magazine. Might have been a 17 or 29 though.

bdm
03-06-2019, 12:12
Thank You for posting amazing think of the cost of this hobby and i thought my military gun collecting hobby cost a lot

JB White
03-06-2019, 01:42
There is a flying field nearby and every so often I pull into the lot and watch. Haven't flown anything myself in several decades. That was a p38 lightning that flew around in a tethered circle and I crashed that a few times.
On the field near me I have seen some pretty sharp RC craft. One of my favorites is a jet powered F4 Phantom. About half the size of the 747 in the video.
An uncle once built a PBY which was nearly as large having a 12' wingspan. On its maiden flight he set it down on the Fox River and taxied it into the boat ramp. The authorities showed up and issued him a warning ticket. Informed he needed an Illinois boating decal on it due to its size.
It was out of place but he pretended it was nose art.
Overall I find it a fascinating hobby, but I already have hobbies I can barely afford.

kj47
03-06-2019, 02:54
That was great, thanks for posting.

togor
03-07-2019, 10:51
In the description it says that a German man named Adi Pitz spent 10 years building that bird. It must have been a great feeling to see it go up and come down, but man, 10 years on that would just be too long for me, except maybe as a on & off background project in spare time.

dryheat
03-08-2019, 03:59
There's a display or competition in Bavaria or Switz, not sure where exactly, but some of the best flying I've seen. No amateurs.

bdm
03-09-2019, 12:41
I just purchased a Syma S107G Helicopter nice Helicopter for $20.00 you can sit in your living room and fly it around

https://www.amazon.com/Cheerwing-S107G-Phantom-Channel-Helicopter/dp/B0178WRTLU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3IFUTUYQKQOWZ&keywords=s107g+helicopter&qid=1552164080&s=gateway&sprefix=s107g%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1IED1Q3HGQJQ1

dryheat
03-09-2019, 07:25
I just purchased a Syma S107G Helicopter nice Helicopter for $20.00 you can sit in your living room and fly it around

https://www.amazon.com/Cheerwing-S107G-Phantom-Channel-Helicopter/dp/B0178WRTLU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3IFUTUYQKQOWZ&keywords=s107g+helicopter&qid=1552164080&s=gateway&sprefix=s107g%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1IED1Q3HGQJQ1

My brother took his outside but it was a failure. The small radio signal needs to be enclosed.

JOHN COOK
03-10-2019, 05:38
My brother took his outside but it was a failure. The small radio signal needs to be enclosed.

LOL, my son gave me his and told me to have fun ... I also took it outside and never had any control of it what so ever.. Called him and he had a big laugh. Stated " you can only fly it in doors that is why I gave it to you." He took it to his daughters gymnasium at school and it flew fairly good. I'll get him back for that one..............

john in SC

Griff Murphey
03-17-2019, 06:29
455224552045521I have been into park flyers for the past 7 years, both pre made foam ones and stick and tissue but all electric RC. My stick and tissues don't fly as well as the Chinese foam ones but I enjoy building them.

L-R Pfalz XII, Sopwith Pup, BF-109

lyman
03-17-2019, 07:21
Thanks for that, along way frpm the lld ducted fan models. I'm a control line guy eversince my first Ringmaster.

I have a control line P47 kit that I have yet to finish,

had it since high school,,,,,,

balsa plane, cannot remember what motor

i did however, finish and fly a lot of Estes rockets

dryheat
03-17-2019, 11:12
I remember control line. Seemed very fast but repetitous. I wasn't interested. Remember those little balsa wood planes you could buy at the grocery store for about ten cents? I flew them a lot. I liked the control. You could throw it almost straight down and it would come out of the "dive" and go straight up and loop. I taped a Estes motor on one once with a backstop of aluminum taped on so as not to burn off the vertical stabilizer. I don't recall that it worked all that well, but it didn't burn off the tail. I put Estes B's in a plastic model of an F-4 Phantom. It moved about 1'. I did build real Estes rockets. I took one to school when I was about 11 and the class went out in the field with me and we set it off. Thinking back on that, that was pretty cool of my teacher. I actually spent weeks building a balsa and tissue plane. I used to know what it was called. It wasn't a bi-plane or a Cessna. It used a rubber band(internally) for a motor. It flew one time and I wrecked it. But what kid doesn't like planes, rockets, explosives, guns, land mines(I found one once but left it). I don't have the skills to fly a Very Expensive turbine powered 1/16th scale jet, but I used to think about it. I guess I grew up in the space age. I have liked everything about it(well, except for the Challenger, that black mark).

JOHN COOK
03-18-2019, 05:11
I have a control line P47 kit that I have yet to finish,

had it since high school,,,,,,

balsa plane, cannot remember what motor

I wonder if these motors will ring a bell. Fox .29, .35 K& B Tornado .19,.35 Mc COY .049 , Veco .19 , .35. just a few I owned a few years ago .( a lot of years ago) had several others but don't recall the names . I built balsa and tissue wings, tissue was put on wet and allowed to dry and it became drum head tight. All control line for me. RC was just coming into play in my area in the 1950's ..Had a lot of fun. We used to fly combat by tying crepe paper on tail of plane (10-12 feet long) and try to cut it off with prop . All went pretty good until someone would invert and fly backward. Usually we would have at least four guys in the circle. Lots of chopped up balsa :icon_lol:. We mostly purchased wings and used a profile of the P 51, hardly ever bought a kit. Older guy in group built a Liberator (4 engine) and it took four guys on the team to keep fuel in tanks while someone else would be cranking other engines. Lot of busted knuckles due to noise . The deal was to make sure the inside engines were full of fuel to keep control line tight where you could land. If inside engines shutoff first you would have a slow roll to the operator. We had a few and you pick it up and get the glue and more paint..

john in SC

lyman
03-18-2019, 08:00
I wonder if these motors will ring a bell. Fox .29, .35 K& B Tornado .19,.35 Mc COY .049 , Veco .19 , .35. just a few I owned a few years ago .( a lot of years ago) had several others but don't recall the names . I built balsa and tissue wings, tissue was put on wet and allowed to dry and it became drum head tight. All control line for me. RC was just coming into play in my area in the 1950's ..Had a lot of fun. We used to fly combat by tying crepe paper on tail of plane (10-12 feet long) and try to cut it off with prop . All went pretty good until someone would invert and fly backward. Usually we would have at least four guys in the circle. Lots of chopped up balsa :icon_lol:. We mostly purchased wings and used a profile of the P 51, hardly ever bought a kit. Older guy in group built a Liberator (4 engine) and it took four guys on the team to keep fuel in tanks while someone else would be cranking other engines. Lot of busted knuckles due to noise . The deal was to make sure the inside engines were full of fuel to keep control line tight where you could land. If inside engines shutoff first you would have a slow roll to the operator. We had a few and you pick it up and get the glue and more paint..

john in SC

I'd have to dig it out the attic and see, I cannot remember

re the estes,

bought a mosquito, launched, never saw it again (I used the biggest rocket it would take)
no parachute, it was designed to tumble home since it was so small,,

launched many an alpha,

built a X wing, it was heavy, launched, went up maybe 60ft, and a slow arc back tot he ground,
parachute popped, but it was not that high,,,

same with another called the Andromeda,
big, like 4' tall,
big D motor, went up, maybe 60', popped the chute, and came right back down,
broke a couple parts on landing, easy repair and flew it more,

PWC
03-18-2019, 08:49
Still have my McCoy .35 (no that is not a caliber), Fox .15, Enya .15, Cox .049, .020, and .010. Tried to find a control line kit, but $5 models are now $35 or more. Think I could build my own pofile stunter. The scar on my right thumb is almost gone from flip'n the .35. (60 yrs)

Griff Murphey
03-18-2019, 03:59
The smell of glo fuel and the memory of cut fingers! I was never a good control line flyer... That whole spinning on your heels thing... There is a whole cottage industry of people making new laser cut balsa flying model kits in their garages as well as new kit manufacturers such as Brodak. Guillows has discontinued most of their small WW-1 kits but DPCM Aerowerks has picked up many of them, as well as COMET models. It's a crying shame model building and flying is no longer a standard "boys own" hobby. Kids today are sure missing out on how stuff works and how things are built. Try RC electric, it's quiet, you can fly almost anywhere! The Horizon Champ is a good starter trainer setup for about $100.

PWC
03-18-2019, 04:46
OoooH, Comet..those little solid body u-carve kits, 25 cents ea. (yup, I'm old) You can still get the original plans for some of the kits online, just scale them yourself. The hobby is still alive: http://www.aeromaniacs.com/ Kids are still learning to fly. If we could just get the parents to do the same for Jr. shooting programs.

I used to coach a Jr. Smalbore group 15 yrs ago. Every Tues and Thurs night we had 20-35 kids and parents (mandatory participation if their kid was to shoot). Range supplied the rifles, state assoc provided the ammo and targets. Beginner shooting, safety first, then have fun; taught the basics of position, trigger control, NPOA, and breathing and if the kids finished the program they had completed thier NRA Qualification.

Just for grins and giggles before Christmas last year, I went to check out the current program. There were 8 older teenaged Jr. shooters, all with Anschutz rifles, hardbacker coats and pants even shootong shoes. All competative.

I guess parents don't want to have their kids around those terrible guns, let alone any safe handling of firearms. I guess they would rather have their kids go to a friend's house and play with a firearm and become a statistic, or an accomplice to.

Robert Scott
03-18-2019, 05:35
I still buy them, build them and fly 'em when I have time. Link below has kits I built 50 years ago.:

https://www.oldmodelkits.com

rayg
03-19-2019, 03:54
That is one beautiful plane and flight! Have went to watch the radio controlled planes a few times and always enjoyed watching them. The wife's Uncle was into the wire controlled ones and used to watch him fly them many years ago. Ray/

JB White
03-19-2019, 06:39
I still buy them, build them and fly 'em when I have time. Link below has kits I built 50 years ago.:

https://www.oldmodelkits.com

I had a flashback looking at some of those old kits. Man, if I had a nickel for every drop of drool we left on the hobby shop floor......
As a youngster most all that stuff was way out of my news route pay. Could barely afford the plastic model kits or brushes and tires for my slot car. Chili dogs always had top priority on payday.
Did manage to build a couple of motorized tanks along the way.

Griff Murphey
04-10-2019, 01:07
It’s a real loss that model building has pretty much gone away. Taught kids aerodynamics, piloting, history, and hand eye coordination in THREE dimensions....