PDA

View Full Version : Korean garands

TAXICAT
02-24-2019, 05:29
I have not been following forums for awhile. Did the Korean garands ever get to the cmp. Thanks Frank

nf1e
02-24-2019, 07:19
No.

Major Tom
02-24-2019, 08:02
Considering the abuse they went thru the last 60 years, I wouldn't even consider buying one!

Sunray
02-24-2019, 10:39
The CMP was never in the loop to get 'em, as I recall. They only get what the U.S. Army gives 'em. King Obama banned the re-importation anyway.

lyman
02-24-2019, 10:44
The CMP was never in the loop to get 'em, as I recall. They only get what the U.S. Army gives 'em. King Obama banned the re-importation anyway.

yep,

internet rumor was Century was going to pay what the SK government wanted for them, but could not get an import permit or whatever it takes,,,

clintonhater
02-27-2019, 09:05
yep,

internet rumor was Century was going to pay what the SK government wanted for them, but could not get an import permit or whatever it takes,,,

That's exactly what happened--the only hold-up was the import permit, which was denied by the State Dept. under you know what rotten bitch. But Trump's State Dept. could have issued a new permit without the need of any Congressional action or approval. Why wasn't that done during the first months he was in office?

nf1e
02-28-2019, 02:49
That's exactly what happened--the only hold-up was the import permit, which was denied by the State Dept. under you know what rotten bitch. But Trump's State Dept. could have issued a new permit without the need of any Congressional action or approval. Why wasn't that done during the first months he was in office?

Priorities.

clintonhater
02-28-2019, 09:37
Priorities.

Tweeting?

Art
03-01-2019, 10:26

…..because they are not U.S. property. The Koreans bought all of their U.S.G.I. firearms unlike the Danes, or the Italians, or the Phillipinos who were loaned the rifles under the MAC military assistance program which was the cold war equivalent of Lend Lease.

In addition to their "loaner" rifles we gave the Danes, they had a lot of Italian manufactured M1s. When they sent the rifles we loaned them back to the U.S. Army they asked if they wanted the Italian rifles to, we declined because they weren't U.S. property; so they were sold on the surplus market, many of them going to Canada.

So, again, if it isn't U.S. property the CMP doesn't get it regardless of where its coming back from.

Every time a new lot of surplus rifles comes into the States there's a chorus of people saying what garbage they are. The Korean rifles will run the gamut of rifles that will be broken down for parts to "rack queens" in extremely good condition indeed. Knowing the Koreans as I do I doubt if many rifles will suffer from out and out abuse but a lot will be very well used and not sent in for overhaul when permanently removed from service....just an educated guess.

I also figure they haven't been re imported because Pres. Trump has other things to do as nf1e stated above, and, I suspect, because his conversion to Second Amendment champion was at least partly due to expedience.

clintonhater
03-01-2019, 11:56
I also figure they haven't been re imported because Pres. Trump has other things to do as nf1e stated above, and, I suspect, because his conversion to Second Amendment champion was at least partly due to expedience.

Doubtful that Trump or anyone in State Dept. has ever heard of this situation--they would have to be told about it by a company seeking to import them. Makes me wonder if Century got cold feet on the deal. Tried to inquire about the status of the proposed sale, but guess they don't wish to be "bothered"--their website lists no phone no. or other contact info. that I could find.

No matter what their present condition, they're sure as hell worth something--folks would line up to buy receivers alone at any kind of reasonable price. That's why it's so puzzling the deal seems to be dead in the water. But if Century (or some other importer) has resubmitted its request for a permit, & no action has been taken, that would be totally inexcusable!

I vaguely remember that the denied permit covered something like 80,000 M1 rifles, but a much larger no. of M1 carbines.

togor
03-01-2019, 05:54
I wonder if AR mfgrs would argue against M1 Carbine imports as hurting American jobs. MA has their silly ammo laws because local sellers wanted government help competing against internet sales originating outside of the Commonwealth. One man's example of government overreach is another man's common-sense rule.

Tuna
03-02-2019, 06:52
This is what caused the Hazmat fees for powder and primers. Too many dealers thought they were loosing revenue from sales from catalogs so they petitioned UPS to start it. UPS tried it not sure if it would be worth while and found out it was a gold mine for them. The rest is history. Powders and primers are in general are still cheaper on line but the hazmat fees put a big hurt on it. Oh by the way all of this started out of southeastern MA.

Tuna
03-02-2019, 07:00
I vaguely remember that the denied permit covered something like 80,000 M1 rifles, but a much larger no. of M1 carbines.[/QUOTE]

It was just the M1 Garands that were first being allowed in by the Hilda Beast but then the core of the O'bama anti-gun groups cried and he then ordered the beast to revoke the permit. It was my understanding that funds had been transferred for some of this but the Koreans have kept it saying your down payment is now ours as you did not complete the deal. The 600,000 carbines were never part of the deal and they were never going to be allowed in under O'bama as they took a 15 round or greater magazine. Pure anti-gun thinking.

clintonhater
03-02-2019, 10:20
The 600,000 carbines were never part of the deal and they were never going to be allowed in under O'bama as they took a 15 round or greater magazine. Pure anti-gun thinking.

Of course, but I believe that too was a restriction based not on any specific law that banned them (and would be difficult to change in Congress), but merely on a bureaucratic regulation that could be repealed as easily as it was enacted.