PDA

View Full Version : later barrels on earlier receiver seriel

milboltnut
02-13-2019, 04:50
ie; 11-18 barrel on a may dated receiver.

Were some receivers barreled later in the year from their manufacture serial number?

pickax
02-13-2019, 01:47
Not likely, 'Ferris' book tables show close correlation with all manufacturers.
Remington had a few discrepancies of a couple months. They had difficulty with receiver and extractor steel quality that summer and had a hard time keeping up production. So may be possible a receiver was held back. Production was winding down by end of year.
So what maker is the rifle, any other signs of a rebuild?

milboltnut
02-13-2019, 01:55
Eddystone.... and yeah was rebuilt they were all rebuilt. LOL I see the chart showing on page 88 showing 15 months fron jan of 17.

So that would be may of 18 with my serial range, 535,XXX.

Tuna
02-13-2019, 04:48
These rifles were rebuilt at many different times. An early rebuild would most likely have a spare replacement barrel while by WW2 they were out of barrels and had two companies making replacements. The barrel marked 11-18 was when the war ended and just may have become part of the parts replacement inventory.

milboltnut
02-14-2019, 03:22
Later barrels on earlier receivers is very common if the rifle has been overhauled. Serial numbers and barrel dates on original rifles, however, match very nicely.

J.B.

RC20
04-25-2019, 05:24
It common to have a 3 month offset on receiver dates vs barrel datres.

7 months makes it likely a replaced barrel.

Actually 3 different stamps on the 1917 barrels, HS, JA and Rock Island (I think Rock island used HS supplied barrels with RI initials on them)