PDA

View Full Version : FEC marked model 64 Smith and Wesson

p246
02-12-2019, 03:43
So stopped by GS that sells a lot of Firearms to agencies. In the used case was a model 64-3 with FEC engraved under the barrel followed by a three digit rack number. Salesman said he had a box of them and brought out about 20. All FEC marked with sequential rack numbers. A couple were like new, most were average, with a couple well worn. They wanted 300.00 for any. Picked out best and put it on their 3 month layaway, as I hadn’t planned an a purchase. Salesman said thought they came in on a federal trade in. To me FEC would mean Federal Election Commssion. Any thoughts on if this is what FEC might mean.

Tuna
02-12-2019, 07:15
I would hazard a guess of Federal Energy Commission? Or maybe Federal Education Commission. Federal Enforcement Commission? (They are here to help us!!!) Federal Exchange Commission maybe? No none of these but I think you have it with the Federal Election Commission. They are here to deliver the votes.

p246
02-12-2019, 07:45
I would hazard a guess of Federal Energy Commission? Or maybe Federal Education Commission. Federal Enforcement Commission? (They are here to help us!!!) Federal Exchange Commission maybe? No none of these but I think you have it with the Federal Election Commission. They are here to deliver the votes.

It’s a guess on my part. Not sure Federal Election Commission has any armed agents, and I wondered about those that guarded their facilities. However I found some other info on the web that stated much of that is contracted out. Was actually looking for a model 66 or 686, but stumbled on this.

Another interesting observation was all the guns were 64-3s. One of the early serial numbers had a pinned barrel. I didn’t think S and W was still pinning Barrels by the 64-3 version, maybe a transition piece?

Tuna
02-13-2019, 07:41
The model 64 has gone through 7 engineering changes so one that is a 3 is a bit older then you might think. The L frame was the first to have a pressed in barrel in the early 1980's so your 64 would pre date that I think.

p246
02-15-2019, 01:55
Brought it home so a few pics

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

FEC with 154 rack number

Art
02-18-2019, 06:30
Nice gun.

I doubt they are Federal guns though anything is possible. Federal firearms, especially law enforcement handguns are almost always destroyed when they are declared surplus or obsolete. That's why you don't see any Air Force Model 15s or FBI Registered Magnums. I'd check agencies in the state in which they were purchased. I have a surplused out Texas State Police Model 27 that has "DPS" followed by a six digit number on the right side of the frame applied by Smith & Wesson at the factory, I got it in the same way P246 got his Model 64.
'

p246
02-18-2019, 04:48
Probably right Art. The LGS said they’d try to find out from the Texas store that took them in, but I’ve heard nothing back. Where ever they came from the rack numbers were from low 80s to 160s. Use and wear all over the board. A couple were very nice but most were average with several almost roached. The worst looked like one side had been dropped on concrete a few times.

Andouille
02-20-2019, 01:48
p264. I tried to private message you but you've exceeded your storage limits.

Noticed you're in Kansas; me too. Would you mind saying name and location of the store you found your revolver? I've been looking for a fixed-sight K-frame for a "working gun" and having a hard time finding one that isn't priced at highway robbery.

p246
02-20-2019, 02:21
GT Distributors in Overland Park (105th and Metcalf). They only have one in the display case, so ask to see the ones in back. The one in the display case was the other like new gun unless they are rotating them. I’ll try to clean out my in box, sorry.

Andouille
02-23-2019, 10:34
Thanks very much. No problem on the inbox; happens to everybody.

Darreld Walton
05-06-2019, 12:15
Dad was a Captain of the security force at the Idaho National Laboratory, started right after he got back from Korea, late 52-early 53. Back then, they had model 10's, they retired those, and gave 'em all 4" Model 66's. If any of the earlier guns were marked, they'd have been "AEC", or "USAEC" for the US Atomic Energy Commission, and the late guns, if marked, would've been Department of Energy, or "DOE". After the M66's, the federal civil service security force was phased out, and contractors took over the security.

p246
05-06-2019, 01:28
Dad was a Captain of the security force at the Idaho National Laboratory, started right after he got back from Korea, late 52-early 53. Back then, they had model 10's, they retired those, and gave 'em all 4" Model 66's. If any of the earlier guns were marked, they'd have been "AEC", or "USAEC" for the US Atomic Energy Commission, and the late guns, if marked, would've been Department of Energy, or "DOE". After the M66's, the federal civil service security force was phased out, and contractors took over the security.

Thanks for the info, I’ve had a chance to run the gun some. Shoots straight, recoil non existent. My speed reloads need some practice, as I’m rusty.