PDA

View Full Version : More construction?

S.A. Boggs
12-13-2018, 08:36
Yes, I am! When the Amish started working on my house I watched to see what type of tools they used since electricity was not for them. It was amazing to see them use a chain saw for things I had never realized. I also saw ways to speed things up as for me "Time is Money" or more specifically my money! I asked the lead craftsman Isiah about using electrical equipment, he said they could use them just not own them. I went directly into Lowes and bought a Cobalt sliding miter saw to help them with the repeating cuts as well as the angle cuts, which speeded things up and my labor cost down. Since my wife and I decided to do an 1880's western style look I checked into having their father, who runs a cabinet shop, give us a quote on new kitchen cabinets and bases. I was ASTOUNDED at the cost as ours is custom made and the factor was way out of our budget. Looking at You tube I saw many ideas using reclaimed free wood from pallets. The majority of the pallets that I am getting are made from oak, exactly what we wanted. I have subsequently purchased a planner, table saw and router with table to do the "work." My wife enjoys working with the wood as well, now the problem. We both agreed that when we are done that it would be a shame to dispose of the tools at a loss, so why do it. We have decided in April to have Isiah and his crew construct, at the upper end of the addition, another room to house our wood craft area. It will be attached to the house from the front porch and will measure 36' long by 20' wide. My wife is a crafter and can turn "junk" into useful items so there are many things that she can do.
Sam