PDA

View Full Version : .22 LR revolver

Greyjoy
12-06-2018, 06:43
Looking for suggestions on a good .22 revolver. Something with a 4" barrel. Thoughts?

Emri
12-06-2018, 07:26
Double action or single action ? What is your price range? Lots of choices, need a few specifics of what you are looking for.

bruce
12-06-2018, 10:19
Look around and find and buy a S&W model 18. I have been shooting S&W 17 and 18 revolvers since 1982. For the range and for the woods and fields, the model 18 is simply ideal beyond words. It is the very best .22 LR revolver ever produced by any one at any time period. Get one. You'll very much be thrilled with it. Sincerely. bruce.

Greyjoy
12-06-2018, 02:04
My preference would be a DA revolver. I've had a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe suggested to me. From what I can tell, the gun went out of production in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Has anyone owned one?

gwp
12-06-2018, 02:43
I have a High Standard Sentinal convertible in 22LR / 22 Mag. I purchased it for my Dad because he liked 22 Magnum rifles. I found it used for less than $100 and the barrel underlug reminded me of a Colt Detective Special. People would occasionally ask what I was shooting at the range. When loaded with 22 magnums the noise and muzzle flash was impressive. There is really nothing special about the Sentinal, but it is an economical plinker.

I believe the Sentinal Deluxe may have an aluminum frame. The Sentinel MK I and MK IV were the first of the series to have a steel frame.

Allen
12-06-2018, 03:46
Look around and find and buy a S&W model 18. I have been shooting S&W 17 and 18 revolvers since 1982. For the range and for the woods and fields, the model 18 is simply ideal beyond words. It is the very best .22 LR revolver ever produced by any one at any time period. Get one. You'll very much be thrilled with it. Sincerely. bruce.

+1

The only difference between the model 17 and 18 is the barrel length (6" and 4"). The 18 has been out of production for a while but can still be found. I have a model 17 with the 3 T's and a 917 which is a 10 shot SS. The 17 may be out of production now but the 917 is still produced. You just have to watch what variation you buy. Some are 6 shot, later ones were 10 shot, some had aluminum cylinders. The current production models have the factory safety lock so many folks choose to get a nice used one w/o the government BS. Won't be an issue if you stick with the 18 4" since it went out of production prior to the changes. With this quality comes price though. Most of the used 917's are higher than the new ones too due to the lock.

I have a S&W model 34 4" nickel too. Nice gun but what I consider a ladies pistol due to the smaller frame than the 18. I shot a carpenter bee with it one day as it was flying (hovering) using a 22lr bullet (not shot) so it's a versatile little gun too.

lyman
12-06-2018, 04:12
I have a High Standard Sentinal convertible in 22LR / 22 Mag. I purchased it for my Dad because he liked 22 Magnum rifles. I found it used for less than $100 and the barrel underlug reminded me of a Colt Detective Special. People would occasionally ask what I was shooting at the range. When loaded with 22 magnums the noise and muzzle flash was impressive. There is really nothing special about the Sentinal, but it is an economical plinker.

I believe the Sentinal Deluxe may have an aluminum frame. The Sentinel MK I and MK IV were the first of the series to have a steel frame.

they did offer several barrel lengths, and are generally reliable shooters,
they are relatively inexpensive,

I have one, and have had 0 issues with it,

and +1 to the Smith revolvers, I have a 17-4 (6") that is fantastic,

18's 17's and 617's are all available in 4 " barrels,

if you like a smaller size, look for a model 34, they are based on the J frame

Johnny P
12-06-2018, 08:12
My preference would be a DA revolver. I've had a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe suggested to me. From what I can tell, the gun went out of production in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Has anyone owned one?

My dad bought me one when I was about 12 years old (haven't times changed) and it has been a rugged excellent shooter. Like the earlier Colt revolvers, the cylinder locks up on the hand leaving no slack in the cylinder when it fires. Local gun shop has one that looks almost new.

Don't know what you want the revolver for, but for much carrying my pick would be the S&W .22 "Kit Gun" (Model 34 I think). I have the aluminum frame and cylinder Model 43 Kit Gun (14 oz.) that I carry any time I am in the woods, and so light I don't know I have it on.

Darreld Walton
12-08-2018, 11:01
I really, REALLY like my Model 18, but very close second is my Model 63, though I had to put larger grips on it to be comfortable to shoot. Shot High Standard revolvers when I was a teenager, as did my buds, and they're functional, fairly rugged, and accurate. Some of the later, steel framed Harrington and Richardson revolvers were pretty nice. I always wanted one of the top break H&R's, but never got round to putting one in the safe.

free1954
12-09-2018, 02:31
if you look around the used gun racks you are likely to find something. have you looked at the rossi PLINKER ?

Allen
12-09-2018, 06:15
if you look around the used gun racks you are likely to find something. have you looked at the rossi PLINKER ?

That DOES look like a nice pistol--didn't know it existed. I have a Taurus M94 SS 9 shot 5" that shoots well but didn't recommend it due to so many others having problems with them as per internet user reviews. Rossi merged with Taurus so I suppose this is the current product of that. Later Rossi's were great guns. I have some M88's (SS 38 special 2") and M971's (SS 357) that to me are just a step below a Smith. After the merger/buyout it appears that Taurus makes everything now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793284929

retread12345
12-09-2018, 02:16
Had a Taurus .22 mag, fun gun but the ammo too pricey. I am sure they produce a model in .22 long rifle

Clark Howard
12-12-2018, 05:52
Top of the .22 heap is the S&W K-frame 6 inchers. Just as good, the Ruger Single-Six is tough and accurate. The High Standard Sentinel is cheaper, not as good looking, but works just as well as any. Regards, Clark

JB White
12-12-2018, 06:00
I have played with quite a few rimfire revolvers over the years. The two I have had the longest and can't be talked out of are the S&W Mod 18 and the Ruger Super Single Six.
The others makers all had shortcomings whether a major drawback or minor glitches. Something in regard to reliability, accuracy, ease of handling....something always left me flat including poor sights or part breakage.

The worse one I had experiences with were a pair of Taurus 94's. One in blue the other in stainless. Constant misfires. Taurus "repaired" them under warranty with a set of 17 ton springs which took the joy out of shooting. (Methinks Taurus missed something in the rimfire geometry because I still have a 3" Model 85.)
In SA, neither 94's compared with the accuracy of the S&W or the Ruger. The Ruger is fine accuracy-wise in 22LR but really shines with the 22WMR cylinder installed.

Having said all that, I confess never having owned a Colt rimfire.

Allen
12-12-2018, 06:38
Having said all that, I confess never having owned a Colt rimfire.

Me neither and the only one that I can think of that fits the bill is the Colt Diamondback which is long out of production. Surely a nice gun but for the $1500-$2000 cost to own one I'll take a couple of Smiths any day even if the Colt was still available.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=colt%2022lr%20diamondback

On 2nd thought I forgot about the Colt SAA. My father in law had one of the later ones. It had an aluminum frame like the RG66 I bought back in 1971 for $27. Not impressed with either and there is very little difference between them.

Darreld Walton
12-15-2018, 03:09
Colt made a smaller-framed single action .22, the Frontier or New Frontier, IIRC, one with alloy frame, one with steel, flat top and adjustable sights, but you could probably buy a half dozen Ruger's for what one of those, or the Diamondback would cost. Colt also made the Trooper MkIII in .22 LR and .22 WMRF, four, six, and eight inch, but even my .357 is a heavy revolver, and still likely to need at least $1K to bring home.

Have you considered one of these? https://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/overview.html

jaie5070
12-25-2018, 10:58
I used to have a .22 revolver. It was a german made one. very accurate but I hated the single loading and unloading. Especially the unloading. If I ever get another it would be a break open or have a swing out cylinder.

Art
11-25-2019, 11:05
[QUOTE=Darreld Walton;546462]Colt made a smaller-framed single action .22, the Frontier or New Frontier, IIRC, one with alloy frame, one with steel, flat top and adjustable sights, but you could probably buy a half dozen Ruger's for what one of those, or the Diamondback would cost. Colt also made the Trooper MkIII in .22 LR and .22 WMRF, four, six, and eight inch, but even my .357 is a heavy revolver, and still likely to need at least $1K to bring home.[QUOTE]

As the folks who keep up with this forum know I am a serious "wheel gun" fan.

The adjustable sight Colt .22 single actions need some care in selection if you invest the money and actually want to shoot them. On some of the early ones the front sight was too low and there wasn't enough adjustment in the rear sight to bring it on target at 25 yards. I owned one of the early ones when they were reasonably priced and with the back sight all the way down it shot at least 5" high at 25 yards with any .22 long rifle ammunition. Later ones had a much higher front sight which made them a little funny looking, but they would shoot to the sights.

Any S&W .22 revolver is a good choice. I prefer the older ones if you can find one at a good price but that's just a preference, nothing more. If you're going to actually carry it in the woods the J Frame kit guns are a good choice and very appropriately sized in either the .22 LR or .22 WMR versions, The K frame .22s are fabulous shooters. We trained with Model 18s at The Border Patrol Academy before moving on to heavy barrel Model 10s. They were superb guns. I picked up an older model 17 in a pawn shop a few years ago and shoot it at the range regularly since it is the same size as my K Frame "Smith" and a lot cheaper to shoot. The Ruger Single Six revolvers would be my pick in a single action. Robust, accurate and not too big. The Ruger field double actions are good guns but a bit on the bulky side for me.

High Standard revolvers are good guns but very long out of production and, in my opinion, a bit inferior to the "Smiths" and Rugers. If you can find a nice one at a good price they are not bad.

I am personally underwhelmed with the Brazilian revolvers because they tend to be a crap shoot. You can get a good one or not depending on where and when it was made,

Again - just my devalued $.02 worth.

lyman
11-25-2019, 11:41
Art,

on the early Colts, and 5" off in elevation,

how much did you notice of a difference with different velocity ammo?

and is did Mini Mags and SV all shoot low?

Art
11-25-2019, 11:48
Art,

on the early Colts, and 5" off in elevation,

how much did you notice of a difference with different velocity ammo?

and is did Mini Mags and SV all shoot low?

Everything shot high, and high enough to matter. I suspect the fixed sight versions didn't have the problem but I really don't know. Like I said Colt did resolve the adjustable sight problem later, just be careful when/if you buy. These are pricey pistols these days.

barretcreek
11-30-2019, 03:01
I have 6" five screw K-22. Great gun but I would like to replace the firing pin; not available.

Gun Smoke
11-30-2019, 05:48
I have 6" five screw K-22. Great gun but I would like to replace the firing pin; not available.

My Dad was a hobbyist gunsmith and worked on many guns belonging to others including those of the local police. Due to the days before the internet and 6-8 weeks shipping time thru catalogs, he simply made most of his parts and hardened them.

I know this floating firing pin is tiny and hard to make but I wonder if those that fit the later style 17/617 could be made to fit. Assuming yours has worn, perhaps a decent welder who works on small items could build up the tip and file it down to shape.

Ebay has the floating or "frame mounted firing pins" for the center fire pistols. Most of the work is done, I wonder if one could be modified to be used on a rim fire cartridge?

Dan in NH
12-15-2019, 11:39
I have a 617-1 10 shot that I really like. Can't say anything bad about it

Gun Smoke
12-16-2019, 10:44

Just ran across this. From what I read the J and K frames take the same firing pins (if floating type). This one is pricey but available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-W-Model-34-Firing-Pin-WITH-TWO-Bushings-THREE-Springs-And-ONE-Pin/124004575298?hash=item1cdf3fa842:g:ni4AAOSwbXddax0 W

barretcreek
05-05-2020, 05:51
Just ran across this. From what I read the J and K frames take the same firing pins (if floating type). This one is pricey but available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-W-Model-34-Firing-Pin-WITH-TWO-Bushings-THREE-Springs-And-ONE-Pin/124004575298?hash=item1cdf3fa842:g:ni4AAOSwbXddax0 W

Page is gone. Most of the sites for Smith firing pins specify not for rimfires, won't fit older models. I need to take it out and compare to my more recent 17-3?. Welding may be the answer but I think I'll have to make one.