PDA

View Full Version : Camp Perry camping?

hollyfaith1
03-12-2010, 08:15
What is the tent camping like at Perry? Is it out in the open sun or shaded?
Getting a hut is always hit or miss so camping might be an option if your not out in the blazing sun. Thanks,JEFF

John Kepler
03-13-2010, 03:30
What "tent camping" there is on base is VERY much in the sun. There are some commercial camping areas close to the base that are much better (Floro's is about 3 miles from the base). But do be advised.....the Ohio State Bird in August is the mosquito, and the weather at Camp Perry in that same time frame can best be described as , "Too much of something!". I live here and a tent is not something I'd be betting my comfort and well-being at the matches on!

CharlieEcho
03-14-2010, 10:03
I've camped at Perry. The camping is in the open, rain or shine. It appeared well drained though I've not been there when it rained. I don't believe any open ground fires are permitted. The toilets are a brisk exercising walk away, as is the chow hall. Short stays, as mine were, aren't too bad, the van wasn't parked far away if it rained. Shade cover for the sun would be recommended. This is all pertaining to tent camping, and I was alone.

There are camper spaces too and I suppose early sign up for those would be required. Shade at or near the camper parking appeared to be minimum also.

Visit the CMP forums for more info. HTH

Hard Dog
03-16-2010, 05:26
Sir, tent camping is not something I have tried at Camp Perry yet after eighteen years of participation in the National Matches there. Big John is right, the Ohio State bird is the mosquito and Camp Perry is known for having their share in early August.

Having said that and also having been a hut resident for most of my two week stays there, especially during the rain storms, tent camping may actually be better accomodations depending on which hut you draw. Even the huts with the blue tarps over the roofs still leak quite a bit, ask me how I know!

The designated camping area as I recall is at the far east side of Camp Perry bounded by Camp Perry East Rd. and Ariel Rd. on the west. From what I've seen the drainage ditch east of Camp Perry East road is quite overgrown and a prime breeding ground for the Ohio State bird! Also, the hike to the showers and head is quite a bit, most of the campers I've seen in the "camping" area are RVs, presumably already equipped with such amenities. Don't concern yourself with a "chow" hall, except for breakfast there is none, Irma's was closed last year.

I realize the truth of your post, getting assigned to a hut is not always possible to those without "connections" so camping is an alternative that should be considered. There are a number of camping areas fairly close to Camp Perry that offer much greater convenience for the camper. HTH, HD.

slamfire
03-16-2010, 06:06
I don't know if this is the "Tent Area" or not. This is on the east side of Perry. There were RV's parked here, looked to be power hook ups and I saw a shower facility.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/CampPerryRVarea1546.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/CampPerryRVarea98751545.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/CampPerryRVarea1544.jpg

hollyfaith1
03-17-2010, 11:38
Thanks all.

Plain Old Dave
03-29-2010, 06:44
Follow on: How much transient quarters is there at Perry? Last time I went I was a Civilian. Currently have valid ID card, and have spent the last 6 years in the Reserve staying in various CBQs. Not much on roughing it.

Hard Dog
04-02-2010, 10:54
Sir, there has been considerable construction at Camp Perry for the last few years. It appears there has been a fair amount of construction for transient or TDY personnel. My recommendation would be to contact the Clubhouse at Camp Perry directly. HD, out.