PDA

View Full Version : need some scope help

duke133
12-01-2018, 01:35
My 78 yoa neighbor gave me her Hunter 440 pellet rifle she uses for Squirrels and asked me to sight in the scope (a BSA). I have never used a scope, just iron sights. She told me her grand children were playing with it and now it won't hit a thing. Someone got some sort of solvent on the outside and it ate away the rubber grip coating. Everything was locked up. I cleaned the scope and then tried sighting it in. Good groupings but all shots were extreme right, like a foot over. I tried adjusting the scope but it is now down tight and still 5 to 6 inches to the right. Elevation is fine. Is there something else I need to look at as the cause? Scope is tight to the rail and no wobble.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

lyman
12-02-2018, 07:30
maybe take it off, clean the rails and mount?

may have a build up of the goo from the solvent on the mount causing it to set a bit to the side?

duke133
12-03-2018, 06:47
Lyman,
Everything was cleaned thoroughly and the rails are clean. I know nothing about scopes and thought maybe there is something I need to do like I would on iron sights, adjust the front sight, but what do I adjust on a scope if I'm already at the max windage adjustment? Thanks for the reply. I'll check it again. I did notice some sort of tape on the scope barrel where the mounts screw down. They appear like some sort of cushion for the mount when it's tightened down to the scope barrel. Appears factory installed.

lyman
12-03-2018, 09:27
may be a shim (the tape) to get the windage in the right place,

what brand is the scope and the mounts?

duke133
12-03-2018, 11:40
It's a BSA Air Rifle 4x32 scope. No markings on the mounts so probably factory stuff.

lyman
12-03-2018, 05:53
tip off type rings? clamp on one side or both?

duke133
12-04-2018, 07:48
There's a "rail" groove (entire length of the mount) on the rifle mount affixed to the rifle. The scope mounts have a large screw on one side. I tilt one side under the rail to grab it, lower the other side down and scew it tight. Tops of the scope mounts are a "C" type with allen screws or set screws (2 each) to lock it down onto the lower mounts. The lower mounts have an opening for iron sight use. Does that make sense? Everything appears to be BSA. I sent an email off to England but I do not have much faith I will receive a helpful response, but you never know.

lyman
12-04-2018, 08:28
yep, makes since
standard 22 receiver mount,

not sure how to shim to adjust windage on that one, if it is like I think it is

duke133
12-05-2018, 08:20
Well, hopefully the company might respond. In the meantime, I now have to leave town in a cpl days and won't be back until Christmas. Maybe someone will have some info by then. Thanks for your input Lyman. Hope your holidays are good.

Emri
12-06-2018, 07:23
If the kids were playing with it probably got dropped and the scope could be bent. Hold the rifle in front of you and look at the barrel and scope at the same time. If one or the other is bent it will show up clearly.

HTH

Emri

duke133
12-06-2018, 02:08
Emri,
Checked it just now and all's straight as can be. I'm thinking I should use a sort of shim of maybe tape (?) inside the mounts on one side to try to "push" it over slightly, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure what I could use and if it would last. Thanks for the reply. Be back in a few weeks. Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas.

duke133
01-15-2019, 09:39
Well, things have settled down so I thought I'd post my results. I realized the scope was not attaching properly and would lean very slightly to the side at front. Emri, you were right. I took everything down and reset or resized the mounts. After putting everything back together I was able to sight the rifle in to a silver dollar grouping at 60 yards. That should do her well enough for her squirrels.
Thanks all for your thoughts. I also advised her not to let the grandkids use it in the future.