PDA

View Full Version : New Dell Laptop

Major Tom
12-01-2018, 06:58
Bought one of these with Windows 10. Major issue I have with it is that when I bookmark a website, it will sometimes actually show up on the bookmark list. But, sometimes it will not. Also, bookmarks have a bad habit of completely disappearing! What can I do to fix?

Cosine26
12-01-2018, 09:04
I agree with you. I believe that Windows 10 is the worst operating system Microsoft ever issued. I even bought a book on Windows 10 and even that did not help. I have two computers (a laptop and a desk top) both with the same edition of Windows 10 and get different results on them .

Tuna
12-01-2018, 09:25
How to fix? Get windows 7 the grandson of XP. Windows 10 was MS version of a political agenda. The computers would be compatible with their phone operating system and no other. Well the phones didn't sell so they were left with the system and now have to live with it. So stick it to the consumer and we will made money just not as much as we thought we would.

JOHN COOK
12-01-2018, 09:29
No problem here. I have 75-100 book marks and never lost a one. My son once told me (he is Cisco system IT Engineer ) " Pops your problem or glitch is in the chair between your keyboard and computer". I was also told that some sites or protected and will not allow you to book mark them...FWIW

john

Former Cav
12-01-2018, 10:01
I no problems with windows 7 professional.
that is why I am keeping this computer as long as I can

Cosine26
12-01-2018, 10:34
I have an old laptop still running XP and an old desk top running Windows 7 with no problems. Kept the laptop because it would still run my flatbed scanner and W7 would not. Windows 10 on the desk top will now run he scanner. The scanner is old but does s great job of scanning KODOCHROME slided which many of the later scanners will not.

lyman
12-01-2018, 11:44
I needed an extra laptop to use at my shop and take to gunshows,
so I purposely bought a refurb with windows 7,

found a nicely done Lenova t530, new SSD and cheap,
works like a charm

Major Tom
12-02-2018, 05:49
Hmmmm! So, Windows 10 sucks, I thought so! I still use Windows XP with Mozilla on my old lap top. Works great most of the time.

Allen
12-02-2018, 07:12
I bought 2 refurbished PC computer towers as spares. Both had Windows 10. After about 2 weeks one of the computers loaded itself up with hundreds if not thousands of Micro-soft "updates", spyware, spam and no doubt the virus' that come in with these updates and crapped its self out. The 2nd computer, after I turned it on started to do the same thing loading page and page of "required" micro-soft spy ware. I unplugged it and bought a Windows 7 operating system from a seller on ebay that fits that computer. I haven't installed it yet since it is just a spare. I found out that you can not prevent this operating system from updating so basically the computer owns you. You will do only what Micro-soft intends for your computer to do, they will have full control and view everything you view (big brother?).

I will not use any computer that has this block. I keep my Window 7 computer running smooth by not letting it update and junk up the memory with dozens of pages of micro-soft krap.

For those of you who would argue my point:

Why do they need so many updates? It's like getting a half dozen recalls on your car everyday.
Why are the updates unidentified as to what the affect or do?
Why do they load instantly but to remove just one of them may take a half hour or so? Think they might be trying to discourage us?
Why are some not removable at all? I'm not talking about the ones that came from the factory when the computer was new but were added later.
For those of you who will say I have to have those updates for keeping up with the ever changing technology I say BS. My main computer is about 20 years old and has always been locked out on updates. I see no change. I still watch movies, youtube and anything else w/o any restrictions.

The last time I took my computer to the shop (to have a virus removed) I told them not to install the AVG anti-virus that this particular shop loves to do. I didn't know I needed to be more detailed. They installed several programs and deleted the ones I had paid for and installed. These I was not able to re-install either. The main thing they did was to un-lock my operating preferences, one of them being to not let the computer update. After about the 2nd day of usage I noticed all kinds of weird things going on including being incredibly slow. After researching my programs I found the damage they had done and the computer was loaded up with about 6 pages of worthless updates. Most of which are probably programs where they can see and track what you are viewing so they can sell that info to companies that sell such items. I spent days removing the trash and some will not delete at all using the ordinary measures. I would have sued the shop but you know how that goes--it would have been more trouble than it's worth. FYI I have found out that Office Depot will do computer repair w/o screwing up the rest of your programs. In other words they will do just what you ask of them.

I bought an Apple Mac Book but don't care for it much as it doesn't have the ability for separate users. If someone else logs on after me all my emails, items I have searched for and so forth can be retrieved.

In short I think Windows XP is the best system as for as ease of use and control of the computer but Windows 7 is faster and the only improvement over the XP that I have found.

My .02 worth.

lyman
12-02-2018, 07:29
I bought 2 refurbished PC computer towers as spares. Both had Windows 10. After about 2 weeks one of the computers loaded itself up with hundreds if not thousands of Micro-soft "updates", spyware, spam and no doubt the virus' that come in with these updates and crapped its self out. The 2nd computer, after I turned it on started to do the same thing loading page and page of "required" micro-soft spy ware. I unplugged it and bought a Windows 7 operating system from a seller on ebay that fits that computer. I haven't installed it yet since it is just a spare. I found out that you can not prevent this operating system from updating so basically the computer owns you. You will do only what Micro-soft intends for your computer to do, they will have full control and view everything you view (big brother?).

I will not use any computer that has this block. I keep my Window 7 computer running smooth by not letting it update and junk up the memory with dozens of pages of micro-soft krap.

For those of you who would argue my point:

Why do they need so many updates? It's like getting a half dozen recalls on your car everyday.
Why are the updates unidentified as to what the affect or do?
Why do they load instantly but to remove just one of them may take a half hour or so? Think they might be trying to discourage us?
Why are some not removable at all? I'm not talking about the ones that came from the factory when the computer was new but were added later.
For those of you who will say I have to have those updates for keeping up with the ever changing technology I say BS. My main computer is about 20 years old and has always been locked out on updates. I see no change. I still watch movies, youtube and anything else w/o any restrictions.

The last time I took my computer to the shop (to have a virus removed) I told them not to install the AVG anti-virus that this particular shop loves to do. I didn't know I needed to be more detailed. They installed several programs and deleted the ones I had paid for and installed. These I was not able to re-install either. The main thing they did was to un-lock my operating preferences, one of them being to not let the computer update. After about the 2nd day of usage I noticed all kinds of weird things going on including being incredibly slow. After researching my programs I found the damage they had done and the computer was loaded up with about 6 pages of worthless updates. Most of which are probably programs where they can see and track what you are viewing so they can sell that info to companies that sell such items. I spent days removing the trash and some will not delete at all using the ordinary measures. I would have sued the shop but you know how that goes--it would have been more trouble than it's worth. FYI I have found out that Office Depot will do computer repair w/o screwing up the rest of your programs. In other words they will do just what you ask of them.

I bought an Apple Mac Book but don't care for it much as it doesn't have the ability for separate users. If someone else logs on after me all my emails, items I have searched for and so forth can be retrieved.

In short I think Windows XP is the best system as for as ease of use and control of the computer but Windows 7 is faster and the only improvement over the XP that I have found.

My .02 worth.

I have 10 on my desktop, and not really a fan of it,

I have 7 on my laptops, ,

not computer savvy enough to fuss about or over the differences, but do know enough to wait for the next system ,,,

barretcreek
12-02-2018, 07:43
My understanding is 10 reports everything you do back to MS, it's a data mining operation. Big Tech's gift to the Feds.