PDA

View Full Version : 80% lower

androck14
11-11-2018, 10:16
I'm considering building a rifle on an 80% receiver.
Has anyone got experience to share?
Who makes good receivers and what tools and jigs are good?

lyman
11-12-2018, 06:58
I have no experience with them (lowers are cheap enough as is) but do see the draw to getting one,

I know some folks that have, and used a model that came with a jig,
drill press and dremel, as well as taking your time, and they looked good,

Fred Pillot
11-14-2018, 02:44
Make sure it is made of 7075 aluminum and buy it pre anodized.

k arga
11-22-2018, 08:26
I use tactical machine 386 496 4461, bought the jig and works out good on my Bridgeport.

Allen
11-22-2018, 09:24
If you're only building one or two it probably won't be worth the effort and expense of the tooling. Like Lyman said, the finished receivers are cheap enough already.

If you're looking for a rifle that has no record of you owning it buy one from an individual that doesn't require a transfer. This may be illegal advice but I see it being no different than inheriting guns or someone gifting you a gun.

Assuming you are interested in AR15's here is a site where you can purchase stripped PSA lowers for $39.99 sometimes with free shipping or $129.99 for a complete lower free shipping (sent to a FFL dealer of course). They sometimes offer complete uppers including the bolt and carrier for $199.99 free shipping.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15.html

p246
11-22-2018, 06:25
Been there done that. Not worth it at current prices imo, unless you just like tinkering and are doing it for a past time interest. Personally I’d rather spend that time shooting.

lyman
11-22-2018, 07:49
there are a group of collectors that use the 80% lowers to build retro guns,
by taking a cut mag well, and welding on to an 80% or by engraving the 80% to look like the markings on a retro style rifle,

not a huge market, but one none the less

JOHN COOK
11-23-2018, 04:17
If you're only building one or two it probably won't be worth the effort and expense of the tooling. Like Lyman said, the finished receivers are cheap enough already.

If you're looking for a rifle that has no record of you owning it buy one from an individual that doesn't require a transfer. This may be illegal advice but I see it being no different than inheriting guns or someone gifting you a gun.

Assuming you are interested in AR15's here is a site where you can purchase stripped PSA lowers for $39.99 sometimes with free shipping or $129.99 for a complete lower free shipping (sent to a FFL dealer of course). They sometimes offer complete uppers including the bolt and carrier for $199.99 free shipping.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15.html

Allen, this is a good reference. I have been there with a friend of mine that had some alterations done on a weapon.They can modify, make anything you desire. Beautiful equipment . If I needed to have

some work done they are only 45 minutes from my home.

They are in Columbia, SC . Their phone number and address is on the web site.
Good people....

john

Allen
11-23-2018, 05:30
They are in Columbia, SC . Their phone number and address is on the web site.
Good people

I bought one of their $199.99 AR15 uppers complete with the bolt and carrier. I have not used it yet but the finish is perfect and I consider it a bargain since it is complete.

I bought 2 stripped receivers from them and they sent consecutive numbered receivers.

They shipped fast to my FFL dealer with absolutely no hassles. Yes. Good people.

barretcreek
12-27-2018, 08:29
Been buying ammo from PSA. Good deals.