PDA

View Full Version : MC-1 survival pocket knife - logan/smyth - 1987

rlc_hntr
03-12-2010, 11:04
Guys,

I'm looking at buying a MC-1 Knife on Ebay.(MC-1 SURVIVAL POCKET KNIFE - LOGAN/SMYTH - 1987)I'm not familular with the company which manufactured this unit.
Is it really a Military U.S. knife?
How rare is this pocket knife?
Any info on this company would be helpful.

Thanks,

rlc_hntr

Bayonetman
03-12-2010, 04:04
The seller is correct in naming the company and location, and as far as I know they did not sell this knife commercially, only on US military contract.

I assume you are aware that this "spring loaded blade" knife is a switchblade and as such is covered by both Federal and some State laws (and some cities). Although I have never seen anyone charged with possession of these knives, I am sure that it has happened in some localities and situations. Certainly not something I would care to carry on my person.

Logan/Smyth was a "small company set aside" where the contract was intended to be given to a small, often new company, often minority or female owned. Quality was very poor, weak spring, poor blade finish, often very dull both on the knife blade and riser cutter. The contract was small and not renewed as many of the knives would not pass inspection, so they are indeed fairly rare. I am not sure of the dates he quotes, I seem to remember that it was 1968 not 1986 but can't swear to that.

RED
03-13-2010, 09:51
The Navy issued an orange handled switch blade to aircrews as far back as 1967. For more info on your particular knife, go here:

http://www.simplysarasota.com/knifecollector/LoganSmythKnife.html

:icon_salut:

Bayonetman
03-14-2010, 07:30
Thanks for the link - I stand corrected on the dates.