PDA

View Full Version : Musket Bayonet

Maj Dad
09-13-2009, 09:12
Some years back a friend gave me a bayonet that looks like the average musket/Trapdoor version, but it won't fit completely on my 1873 (mfg 1883). It goes over the end of the barrel, but won't turn into the slot for the front sight. It does have the ring to lock it onto the barrel. I thought it might be for a different CW rifle/musket than the Springfields, as I believe they were large than the trapdoors. It is US marked. If anyone would like pictures, I'll try to dig it out of the back of one of the safes and snap it, but like I said, it looks like the typical musket bayonet. :icon_scratch:
Thanks,
Maj Dad

Dick Hosmer
09-30-2009, 09:56
Do you have access to "American Socket Bayonets . . . . " by Robert Reilly?

That should answer the question. If not, some GOOD measurements* would probably be of more help than a (presumably unscaled) photo.

*OA length, socket length, socket OD and ID for starters. It can be hard to agree on how to measure "blade length", so OA is better. Is it blued or bright? Is there a scabbard with it - if so, how marked?

Timmer
11-07-2009, 07:47
Have you compared the bayonet to an 1861 Springfield bayonet? I was told that these bayonets are very similar.

Dan Shapiro
11-14-2009, 08:55
As Dick mentioned, measurements are needed. If you happen to have his book, "The .58 & .50 Caliber Rifles and Carbines of the Springfield Armory 1865-1872", you'll be amazed how many different weapons employed the Model 1855 bayonet.