PDA

View Full Version : How is the hunting coming along?

Ken The Kanuck
10-15-2018, 06:26
Picked up a muley spiker last Wednesday, had to come home on Saturday for a function, we butchered the deer on Sunday and sent some meat into the butchers to make sausage today. We want to start making our own sausage and have bought a grinder and sausage stuffing machine, but did not want to screw up on this deer as may or may not be added to. So if anyone has a receipie they like for garlic sausage or pepperoni, they would share it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I did not get any limited entry hunt draws this year, so I can only hunt open season stuff, still have a white tail, a bear and a moose tag, I hope to fill.

I expect to head back up to the cabin on Wednesday to try.

My hunting partner has an elk draw which he will take me along with him, but it is not until January or Feb. and I am getting my other shoulder replaced at the end of Jan. Hopefully we can make it before that.

How about everyone else, any luck yet?

KTK

p246
10-16-2018, 11:40
Teal has been good, big ducks hasn’t opened here yet. Whitetail is another month plus off (don’t bow hunt) off but there were 14 standing in the Alphalfa field last night. Good luck on that shoulder.

Vern Humphrey
10-16-2018, 11:40
I nailed an 8-point buck with my pickup last week!

p246
10-16-2018, 11:41
I nailed an 8-point buck with my pickup last week!

Done that before, much cheaper to shoot them from my experience.

Vern Humphrey
10-16-2018, 12:19
Done that before, much cheaper to shoot them from my experience.

More than $5,000 cheaper -- but USAA paid the claim.

Ken The Kanuck
10-16-2018, 03:36
Teal has been good, big ducks hasn’t opened here yet. Whitetail is another month plus off (don’t bow hunt) off but there were 14 standing in the Alphalfa field last night. Good luck on that shoulder.

Teal are terrific to hunt, good luck with the rest of the season.

KTK

barretcreek
10-16-2018, 04:08
'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing' by Rytek Kutas.

Vern Humphrey
10-16-2018, 05:25
I hit the damn' thing -- it literally leaped across the other lane into my truck. Bang! The air bags went off. As soon as I could steer onto the shoulder of the road and fan some of the smoke out of the cab, I dialed 911, then AAA (for a tow) and USAA (my insurance.)

Shortly thereafter a Deputy showed up and began writing up his report, "Mister Humphrey, do you want that deer?" I told him no, and he disappeared. I looked through the rear view mirror, and he was field dressing it and putting it in the trunk of his patrol car!

barretcreek
10-16-2018, 06:25
We can keep our roadkill if it's not a 'trophy', i.e. sheep, moose, more than X points. $3.00.

p246
10-16-2018, 07:52
I hit the damn' thing -- it literally leaped across the other lane into my truck. Bang! The air bags went off. As soon as I could steer onto the shoulder of the road and fan some of the smoke out of the cab, I dialed 911, then AAA (for a tow) and USAA (my insurance.)

Shortly thereafter a Deputy showed up and began writing up his report, "Mister Humphrey, do you want that deer?" I told him no, and he disappeared. I looked through the rear view mirror, and he was field dressing it and putting it in the trunk of his patrol car!

I worked a car deer crash with a nice BMW. The driver wanted it. We lined his trunk with trash bags he had. I tagged the deer and we threw it in the trunk of his 7 series beemer. I got a kick out of it for some reason.

JohnPeeff
10-16-2018, 08:34
I just got back empty handed after 4 weekends in Northern California, coastal blacktail . Season ends next Sunday. Been hot with no rain and the road has been tearing my 43 Jeep apart literally. I've seem bear, bobcat, coyote, quail, grouse, and lots of turkey but no legal bucks!

Ken The Kanuck
10-16-2018, 08:54
'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing' by Rytek Kutas.

Thanks looks like a great resource.

KTK

p246
10-17-2018, 06:43
I just got back empty handed after 4 weekends in Northern California, coastal blacktail . Season ends next Sunday. Been hot with no rain and the road has been tearing my 43 Jeep apart literally. I've seem bear, bobcat, coyote, quail, grouse, and lots of turkey but no legal bucks!

I feel for you, but it makes the hunts where you successful that much better.