PDA

View Full Version : Another estate sale find

Merc
10-13-2018, 06:17

Another estate sale find. This is a M1906 Light Cavalry Saber made by Ames that I bought this morning. The rear of the ricasso has US and the initials of the inspector. The saber is in nice condition and retains its original unsharpened squared edge. The scabbard is also in nice condition but it’s not for the M1906 Saber. It was made for the M1860 Light Cavalry Saber. The rings on the M1906 scabbard are smaller and closer together.

Bill D
10-13-2018, 07:42
Nice find. I bought one of those a number of years ago in Atlanta, Georgia. If you don’t mind sharing, what is the current going price for these?

Merc
10-13-2018, 09:17
There’s one on eBay now with the correct scabbard that’s being offered for $599.00. The incorrect scabbard on mine probably cuts the value of my saber by half even though the scabbard is in nice shape and fits the saber perfectly. I shop on eBay occasionally for military items but prefer estate sales. It takes patience for both but asking prices are usually a lot more on eBay. I missed a confederate canteen a couple of years ago at an estate sale that sold for over $2000.

Sunray
10-14-2018, 09:18
It's amazing the stuff that's hidden in attics.
Buying or selling on E-Bay funds the people who want to take your firearms away from you. What's more amazing is the number of firearms related businesses that patronize Pay Pal. They're also rabidly anti-firearm ownership and have been known to steal money from such businesses.

Allen
10-14-2018, 09:24
It's amazing the stuff that's hidden in attics.
Buying or selling on E-Bay funds the people who want to take your firearms away from you. What's more amazing is the number of firearms related businesses that patronize Pay Pal. They're also rabidly anti-firearm ownership and have been known to steal money from such businesses.

And it's amazing how many people refuse to believe this, even on this forum. There are hundreds if not thousands of dealers on GunBroker that will not honor Paypal for this reason.

While I too have bought many hard to find gun related items on ebay using Paypal I did so before finding out about them. I quit selling on ebay many years ago after they repeatedly pulled my listings after they discovering it was a gun item. Sometimes this was only a stock or something but always an item that could be sold legally, not something like a frame or receiver. The liberals who monitor the listings know absolutely nothing about the gun industry and will go ape sht crazy if they see the wording of AR, AK, M14 and many other scary terms.

Merc
10-14-2018, 04:55
Thanks for the heads-up on eBay. Its been several years since I’ve ordered any rifle parts through them. It’s not surprising to hear they are lefties since they are HQed in California. A few years ago, I bought most of the NOS parts from eBay that I needed to replace the worn, missing, broken or ill-fitting parts on my M1917, 03-A3 and No. 4 Mk 1*. I also bought a few parts from Springfield Sporters and Gun Parts Corp. I don’t know if Springfield Sporters will ever be back in business again and it can be difficult to order an OEM specific item from Gun Parts Corp.

Allen
10-14-2018, 06:41
Unfortunately I find myself having to order stuff from ebay. Most of the sellers of course are just individuals like you and me. It's the fee's that ebay charges the sellers that contribute to their politics. So if you buy a $20 can of spray paint the seller may get $18 and ebay gets $2. Then they have to pay their staff's salary's and overhead. I purchase inexpensive items that are hard to find or just not worth the gas and time going around hunting for such. It's easy to just press a couple of keys on the computer and your item shows up in your mail box 3 or 4 days later.

That sword would probably cost way more on a gun site auction but it just depends upon how many are watching the auction and how deep their pockets are.

A few years back ebay clamped down on what gun related items they would allow. At first they said anything that would enable a gun to fire was banned. This would include hammers, triggers, firing pins, barrels, breech blocks and so on but as time went on they relaxed the rules a little or they just don't know what they are looking at. Here again, anything with the letters AR, AK, M14, machine gun and so forth sends them into cardiac arrest. In my case they pulled my listings for items like stocks and screws. Once they pull one of your items they have you in their crosshairs. You can still find a few M1A and M1 carbine stocks. They haven't seen the listings or the seller has just never had anything pulled that would attract their attention. Years ago you could find hundreds of stocks, barrels and such. Now, just a half dozen or so. Some items like revolver parts never seemed to bother them and went on as usual.

Paypal used to be owned by ebay. It is to my understanding that they have since sold it but it is still very anti-gun. If they detect gun related activity they will freeze your account and money sometimes for months. Sellers usually require that the buyer not include any description or subject when paying with Paypal. Many prohibit it. There's plenty of horror story's out there.

m1ashooter
10-15-2018, 07:54
Nice find.

jon_norstog
10-28-2018, 05:28
If you have a local gun shop.patronize them. Hell with the internet!

jn

Merc
10-31-2018, 07:33
With every major milsurp parts dealer in the country selling parts on their own internet site, it would be difficult to ignore the convenience of buying parts for a WW1 or WW2 rifle on the internet. I bought my rifles from local dealers but never had any success buying parts from them. Paying with PayPal isn’t always an option when buying parts from an on-line dealer. Most prefer paying them directly with a credit card.