PDA

View Full Version : Update with some pics

S.A. Boggs
10-04-2018, 09:52
44439[/ATTACH
My "lumber" yard.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44440
My "flooring" crates.
In the spring I am going to have my Amish friends enclose my propane tank with a fake building of an old time red school house. The front of the school will face the road, one side will open to fill the tank.
Sam

Sunray
10-04-2018, 10:12
Most of the skids are good for firewood and not much else. Soft wood makes lousy floors. The pile of brush by the propane tank is a conflagration waiting to happen too.

S.A. Boggs
10-04-2018, 12:41
Most of the skids are good for firewood and not much else. Soft wood makes lousy floors. The pile of brush by the propane tank is a conflagration waiting to happen too.

The pile of brush is going to my neighbor's house today for his burn pile, most of the skids are hardwood.
Sam

S.A. Boggs
10-20-2018, 05:06
With the two frosts this past week, our outside garden is done, now the inside garden is another story. Both of our rose bushes are still in bloom, the pepper plant is starting to bloom again and all the other plants are doing quite well. Fired up the new wood stove and due to the larger size then the one stove we have, this one takes more wood to reach temperature. During the day we burn wood and at night I load with compressed bricks which burn much longer. There is a new fly in the ointment, one not expected and that is condensation. Due to the changing of the suns position and leaves still on the trees, we are not getting much solar gain. Once the leaves drop from the trees on the upper side, solar gain should increase. Also, I am going to add more insulation where I can and keep the stove temperature up to 450 degrees on the pipe. Still much to do and more to learn, all in all we are quite pleased.:1948:
Sam

Allen
10-20-2018, 05:19

Most skids or pallets are made of soft wood like poplar or pine. Some are made for heavy loads and are made of oak.

S.A. Boggs
10-20-2018, 06:35
I am getting very little pine, some poplar mainly oak. The soft wood will go into the ceiling/walls and will work just fine. The oak will be planned to a uniform thickness and used for flooring on top of the sub floor. Lowes sells their standard size for $15.00 to a recycler, I can have all the rest including the broke ones. So far I am pleased with what I have been able to scrounge and with a little elbow grease can have a nice home for little cost.
Sam

lyman
10-29-2018, 12:47
my grandparents house was paneled upstairs with recycled wood, as in recycled from shipping crates and other buildings etc,
put up vertically, stained, and looked good!

wife's grandparents build a couple rooms (added on to the house)back in the 40's and 50's from recycled (as in took down another structure and transported the lumber) as well