PDA

View Full Version : Moon Tonight.

m1ashooter
07-26-2018, 09:31
Anyone see what I'm seeing tonight? I'm in Houston and the full moon has at least six different color rings around it. I'm wondering if its being caused by the African Dust in our air.

bruce
07-26-2018, 09:59
Was out running about 10 PM. Moon was bright enough that I could run down the asphalt paved road w/o any problems. Very bright. Even better, it had multiple rings that were simply beautiful. No idea as to what caused the rings, but ... very beautiful. Sincerely. bruce.

Emri
07-27-2018, 02:47
Full moon is tonight 7/27. Just FYI. Was partly cloudy last night so saw nothing special. For some weird reason I keep up with moon cycles . If I know where we are in the cycle, I can even guess the time rather closely by judging where in the sky the moon is. I always get a kick reading books where the author describes the "rising crescent moon in the east" shortly after sunset. I'll see what we get here tonight.

Allen
07-27-2018, 03:43
For some weird reason I keep up with moon cycles

You don't have a grandfather clock do you? Many of them have "moon dials" where the clock shows you the position of the moon. I believe the lunar calendar is 29 and 1/2 days?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrEwNSQnltbIw8AtYiJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBs Z29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4NTcEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRiY2sDMDI0 aXFpZGRsM2c0aSUyNmIlM0Q0JTI2ZCUzRDhXQUNsWFpwWUVLUH hjS0xFUWdIUTNkdkhPLllBMGRqUkgzeDBsRzFvUjJWJTI2cyUz RHRmJTI2aSUzRFBkZ3lUTm1qQmFaM2NBQ3FpYWJhBGNzcmNwdm lkA21WRkxHVEV3TGpFQkVscVRXMUhBa2dOaU9Ua3VNUUFBQUFE QVJQN3UEZnIDeWZwLXQEZnIyA3NhLWdwBGdwcmlkAzJobEVVUT BHUzJpWEZrVXlud1N5U0EEbXRlc3RpZANudWxsBG5fc3VnZwMy BG9yaWdpbgNpbWFnZXMuc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMA RwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAwRxc3RybAMzMARxdWVyeQNtb29uIGRp YWwgb24gZ3JhbmRmYXRoZXIgY2xvY2sEdF9zdG1wAzE1MzI3Mz EwOTcEdnRlc3RpZANudWxs?gprid=2hlEUQ0GS2iXFkUynwSyS A&pvid=mVFLGTEwLjEBElqTW1HAkgNiOTkuMQAAAADARP7u&p=moon+dial+on+grandfather+clock&fr=yfp-t&fr2=sb-top-images.search.yahoo.com&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt

Emri
07-28-2018, 06:16
You don't have a grandfather clock do you? Many of them have "moon dials" where the clock shows you the position of the moon. I believe the lunar calendar is 29 and 1/2 days?

No Allen, I do not. My grandmother had one and my mother had a wrist watch with the moon dial. Yes, the phase is 29 1/2 days. If you have any interest in the night sky, an excellent little book is titled "Whitney's Star Finder". I do not know if it is still available, I got my copy in the 70's. It was published in 1974. I have to take a little dog out every night before bed and every morning at 5:30 when we wake up and I just like to look at the sky when waiting on him and not the different positions of stars through the year. Harder to do now with all the light pollution in Baldwin Co. Why don't you come down to R'dale and introduce yourself sometime? I'm here in the store every day but Wed. & Sun. I've seen you post about some interesting guns I'd like to see if you want to show them.

Emri

dryheat
07-28-2018, 11:10
I was awake at 2 a.m. yesterday. The moon was spectacular along with the planet at about five o'clock next to it. I didn't see any rings, but then, I was in the mtns. away from pollution.