PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 11 Landing

togor
07-15-2018, 05:52
Every July I think about it. I was just a kid then, but it still amazes me. This annotated vid of the descent with radio feed from the NASA archives is worth the view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONIax0_1ec

m1ashooter
07-15-2018, 06:28
Thanks for the post.. I remember watching the landing as a boy. The 60's were an interesting time to grow up.

JB White
07-15-2018, 08:44
Too bad it was faked. I saw the proof in a movie and everyone talked about it. :)

I recall staying up late to watch Armstrong emerge from the lander. Then watching them hop around. We beat the Russians and put the American flag on the MOON! What a feeling of national pride that was.

PWC
07-15-2018, 03:49
I had just arrkved in Korea 3 days before and was walking by the dayroom just as Armstrong was coming down the ladder. For the prior 2 weeks I had been driving across the country and relocating my family for the next year that I didn't know anything about the landing.

togor
07-15-2018, 05:06
For the tech minded, an article on the 1201 and 1202 alarms encountered in the descent.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/vintagespace/2018/01/05/apollo-11s-1202-alarm-explained/#.W0vewbhG1EY

I've been designing stuff for over three decades, and still it is amazing and humbling to encounter stuff in the world that you never thought of on the bench. The good ones design for that reality as best as they can, put some resilience in their machine, just as the MIT guys did for the Apollo Guidance Computers.

Roadkingtrax
07-15-2018, 05:53
Worked with a guy who helped design the LM descent stage. Amazing stuff.

Sunray
07-16-2018, 09:02
"...American flag on the MOON..." Wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the Canadian engineers fired after the Avro Arrow cancelation in 1959.

Major Tom
07-16-2018, 10:01
Never had much interest in those moon landings. Nothing on the moon but dust and rocks so what's the big deal? Same with all those Mars robot landings. Ain't nobody else up there.

JB White
07-16-2018, 12:42
"...American flag on the MOON..." Wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the Canadian engineers fired after the Avro Arrow cancelation in 1959.

There are boatloads of "Wouldn't have happened if's" throughout history. Matters not because they did happen and they happened the way they did.

AZshooter
07-16-2018, 08:55
Rocketdyne and Atomics International had manufacturing facilities in the Valley where I grew up. Behind some mountains at the far end of the valley (adjacent to my High School) there was the Santa Susana Test Facility, where they would bolt down a rocket engine destined for the Apollo project & test fire it. If fired at night, the ground would shake & the sky would light up as daylight. If fired during the day, the earth would just shake.

dryheat
07-17-2018, 03:00
Major Tom(kind of ironic), "How does the space program benefit me". It's bigger than you. It's what humans do and have always done. Incas, Greeks, you name it, they are looking for answers or just compiling notes. Now,medical science kind of scares me.

If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

togor
07-17-2018, 03:15
Dryheat, did you get your 'scope? Survive the prep? Everything OK?

JB White
07-17-2018, 05:04
Dryheat, did you get your 'scope? Survive the prep? Everything OK?

You know he's right, don't you?

togor
07-17-2018, 06:19
JB I'm not taking issue with his remark. Just remembering that he had mentioned an upcoming procedure, hoping things went OK.

JB White
07-17-2018, 07:03
JB I'm not taking issue with his remark. Just remembering that he had mentioned an upcoming procedure, hoping things went OK.

Oh....never mind.

You have my most humble apologies. And all the best to you DH.

dryheat
07-17-2018, 10:09
Well, actually, they called to cancel the appt. Then the next week my dog got very ill and I cancelled(dogs OK). I need to set up another appointment.