PDA

View Full Version : Freeze dryer

S.A. Boggs
06-30-2018, 01:49
Thinking of getting one, anyone have this? Pro's and Con's or opinion. Yes, I know they are expensive but have some $ to spend on food for the pantry and I HATE to can.
Sam

Sunray
06-30-2018, 10:21
You need a 25-30-year shelf life? That's what freeze drying will give you according to some web sites. Can't help but think the food would lose a lot of flavour and nutrition too. You ever, um, dine on MRE's?

S.A. Boggs
06-30-2018, 12:20
You need a 25-30-year shelf life? That's what freeze drying will give you according to some web sites. Can't help but think the food would lose a lot of flavour and nutrition too. You ever, um, dine on MRE's?

One thing for sure, MRE CANDY SURE GOES HARD, broke a tooth! I am not looking at longevity just the ability for better storage. An added thing is for the food donations that our church does, I can prepare whole meals, seal them individual and our church can give them out to those in need. I can tithe more then just giving money or my time, Christ commanded us to feed his sheep. My family can do this literally this way.:banana100::eusa_shhh:
Sam

togor
06-30-2018, 02:49
Have a prepper itch that a deep freeze just won't scratch?

S.A. Boggs
06-30-2018, 04:24
Have a prepper itch that a deep freeze just won't scratch?

Damn and I was rooting for the bears! Read my post again, I am not a prepper I live my life not prepper for "situations."
Sam

togor
06-30-2018, 04:43
Well if you don't mind eating it then go for it. I just finished eating some freeze dried for a few days. It all tastes the same after awhile--salty.

S.A. Boggs
06-30-2018, 04:57
Well if you don't mind eating it then go for it. I just finished eating some freeze dried for a few days. It all tastes the same after awhile--salty.

There is a difference from home and food factory. Our garden is coming on hot and heavy so I need a way to put up the extra. I hate to can so I was looking for a better way. Currently dehydrate what I can, with the freeze dried I can put away darn most anything. Right now I am eating steak that I bought 5 years ago @$2.40 per pound and sealed froze it. I can buy the same this fall @ $2.60 per pound but I have other meat in my freezer. As we take something out we replace the empty space. Right now I have several turkeys from Christmas taking up the space from the beef, as well as vegetables. Locally eggs are quite reasonable and I want to put some in my pantry for future use.
Sam

togor
06-30-2018, 07:27
One consequence of the blessing of a large larder is always eating old food. The guys who regularly eat the cans right at the "best before" date. Sometimes unavoidable.

S.A. Boggs
07-01-2018, 02:57
One consequence of the blessing of a large larder is always eating old food. The guys who regularly eat the cans right at the "best before" date. Sometimes unavoidable.

I have two dogs that like to eat as well as my family. My dogs are not pets but compadres, working parts of our family. Why shouldn't they eat as well as we do? Before going to our Baptist Church this morning we eat @ McDonalds by the Ohio River. Wolf will have two strips of bacon, buttered biscuit and yogurt. Our family food includes them and space for storage is always limited. I have heard guys [with no experience] just proclaim that they will just "hunt" for their families food, more like steal. Say what you want I take care of ALL of my family and try to help others as well. As one guy already knows buzzards and worms need to eat as well.
Sam

Sunray
07-01-2018, 09:31
"...prepare whole meals, seal them individual..." Look into a vacuum sealer. Assuming you have refrigerated storage space.
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/food-sealers
"...steak that I bought 5 years ago @$2.40 per pound..." That's one of your shoes. snicker.
"...Our garden is..." My ma used to tell a story about how she was given 100 tomato plants by an uncle. Late 50's. The back yard ran 100 feet from the back door. And 60 feet wide. She said everybody who came to the house went home with a basket of 'em. There were no food banks in those days.

S.A. Boggs
07-01-2018, 11:44
"...prepare whole meals, seal them individual..." Look into a vacuum sealer. Assuming you have refrigerated storage space.
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/food-sealers
"...steak that I bought 5 years ago @$2.40 per pound..." That's one of your shoes. snicker.
"...Our garden is..." My ma used to tell a story about how she was given 100 tomato plants by an uncle. Late 50's. The back yard ran 100 feet from the back door. And 60 feet wide. She said everybody who came to the house went home with a basket of 'em. There were no food banks in those days.

I am picking up a new sealer as mine gave up the ghost after years of useful service. The beef was good, it came from locally produced grass fed cattle that a friend of mine raises with her husband. To be honest, with my weakened immune system from chemo I want to know what is in and on my vegetables. With the recent problems with the lettuce, a person can appreciate my reasoning.
Sam

Roadkingtrax
07-01-2018, 11:46
Dogs make a fine meal too...when times are lean. Good to keep them full.

S.A. Boggs
07-01-2018, 12:03
Dogs make a fine meal too...when times are lean. Good to keep them full.

The more you say the more despicable you become. :icon_redface:
Sam

Roadkingtrax
07-01-2018, 12:03
The more you say the more despicable you become. :icon_redface:
Sam

Bacon is delicious though...

Sunray
07-02-2018, 09:41
I was thinking in terms of the logistics for one of your customers. Anything dried will require water to reconstitute. Might be an issue. Vacuum sealed only needs to be nuked. The church can do that. Store in a chest freezer. Or a walk-in fridge/freezer. If there is such a thing in your church.
Wally World has sealers starting at $35 too. Dunno if it'd be any good for volume though.

S.A. Boggs
07-02-2018, 10:15
I was thinking in terms of the logistics for one of your customers. Anything dried will require water to reconstitute. Might be an issue. Vacuum sealed only needs to be nuked. The church can do that. Store in a chest freezer. Or a walk-in fridge/freezer. If there is such a thing in your church.
Wally World has sealers starting at $35 too. Dunno if it'd be any good for volume though.

Water is not a problem as we have many cases of it to give out if needed. I am going with a heavy duty type that will run and run, wish me luck!
Sam

togor
07-02-2018, 04:03
So what kinds of disasters befall your neck of the woods? Ice storm and tornadoes seem about it, yes?

S.A. Boggs
07-02-2018, 04:07
So what kinds of disasters befall your neck of the woods? Ice storm and tornadoes seem about it, yes?

Yes, ice storms, cut off from electric for two weeks, 30" of snow at a time, -42 below zero, tornadoes, flooding so yes we get weather. Anarchy is only 9 meals away!
Sam

Sunray
07-03-2018, 10:19
"...Water is not a problem..." Might be for a homeless guy with no place to re-hydrate.
"...what kinds of disasters..." The Donald is trying to wreck the entire North American economy with his economic incompetence.