PDA

View Full Version : Ammo for Turk Mausers

Hagar
09-12-2009, 06:00
:icon_scratch:

Gang,

As I continue to dig my way to the bottom of my monster safe for the first time in a decade, I found some Turk Mausers that I bought for $50.00 each. My original intent was to clean them up, check them out, do some rough tuning and then give them to my brothers and relatives that farm to use as "truck guns". My problem is that I didn't buy any surplus 8MM ammo which I now need to do.

Any idea as to where I can find some surplus 8MM ammo for the rifles? I want decent ammo with 100% ignition and reasonable accuracy. We use these "truck guns" on coyotes, feral dog packs, rabid skunks etc.. The Turks are a bit of overkill but are very rugged and the price was right. I realize that I'm probably limited to Berdan-primed ammo but would pay more if there was any Boxer-primed surplus out there as we could save the cases and reload as our ammo supply dwindles. When I bought them, I understood from CSP forum comments that they were rugged in construction and could handle any military surplus ammo up to and including de-linked machine gun ammo. Is this correct?

I'll buy enough for a lifetime supply for each rifle.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hagar

Skip
09-12-2009, 06:34
I have 4 bandoleers of 1950 Turk 8MM stored. This stuff has a really stout recoil. They seem like proof rounds.

Fred
09-12-2009, 06:50
I bought mine from Sportsmans guide www.sportsmansguide.com when it was about 7 cents a round. I bought several thousand rounds that I knew would go up in price soon. However, they still have it and it's at least as cheap as any other surplus out there, evan though it' sgone up. UPS wil deliver it to your door.

Hagar
09-13-2009, 03:38
Gang,

Thanks for the help.

I was pleasently surprised to see that the 8MM surplus prices have not followed the 7.62 NATO into the stratosphere.

Shipping killed me at Sportsmans Guide as I live in California but I checked out another source that I'd used in the past, www.aimsurplus.com (AIM Surplus) and found that they currently have 1970s production Romanian 8MM on sale with free shipping. This is steel cased, steel jacketed ammo over a steel bullet core. I recal the NVA using steel cased cartridge casing ammo against us in Nam in 68 and it worked fine. I'm not worried about bore wear as these rifles will not be shot very frequently.

Anyone have any experience with this Romanian ammo? I really Like the spam cans for storage.

Many thanks,

Hagar

Quadguy
09-14-2009, 10:55
I have a Yugo Mauser and that stuff works just fine it it. Gives me 1-2 inch
groups at 150 yards when I can see the front sight clearly.

Liam
09-14-2009, 12:56
I loaded up on Sellier & Bellot 196 gr 8mm a few years ago from Cheaper Than Dirt. Czech company with European loads that DO KICK. Came with ammo storage box if you bought 200 rnds and was reasonable IIRC. Best part is it is boxer-primed, so shooting your truck guns and failing to clean them immediately is OK - no corrosive salts lining your barrel. Plus there is no primer crimp as you would find in surplus so the brass can be reloaded easily as well.

Jim K.
09-14-2009, 05:22
S&B ball is loaded with the same bullet weight and velocity as the German GI 7.9 s.S ball. And yes, you do know when it goes off.

Jim

gunluvver
09-14-2009, 08:25
The velocities seem to run Romanian at the low end, Yugo mid-range, and Turk is high for the commonly available 8mm. 50's dated Yugo is common and known for hard primers, so replacement of the firing pin spring with a Wolff extra tension spring is recommended for positive ignition. The best ammo for the money and reliability is the Romy in the tins. It's dirty ammo, so a soap and water wash out then some Hoppes #9 is SOP after shooting it.

joem
09-15-2009, 07:57
Check out J&G Sales. They usually have a bunch of 8mm.