PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Traffic Sucks

togor
06-10-2018, 03:42
Stuck in a jam coming back through Chicago after helping my daughter move. Google Maps shows red everywhere. Worst drivers imaginable. Nobody south of the Wisconsin line knows what the left lane is for. On I-65S towards Indianapolis some guy put up a giant sign "HELL IS REAL". It's facing the wrong way because everyone who just came out of Chicago knows that only too well.

Roadkingtrax
06-10-2018, 05:08
Not to mention, Toll Roads! :(

jjrothWA
06-10-2018, 06:38
I avoid driving thru Chicago, by taking I-80 West to I-39 head North and hit the Wisconsin line,

Once got south of Cicero and the NUVi went from green to yellow, to red and finally, black. Came up on the US 30 South exit from I-80, and took that over into Indiana and then back to I-80 / 90.

m1ashooter
06-10-2018, 07:47
The last time I was in that traffic, I started listen to the Blues Brothers. It helped pass the time.

JB White
06-10-2018, 10:14
From Indianapolis, take I-74 to I-57 to I-294. It's only a few miles more but it saves hours. The scenery is better and there are more places to stop if need be.
Besides, I don't need anymore cheeseheads thinking they can drive in MY left hand lane.

togor
06-11-2018, 04:16
I couldn't drive in the left lane in IL if I wanted to JB. It's already full of locals. For as much as gets charged for the toll roads, couldn't they splurge for even one "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign? Apparently not.

Major Tom
06-11-2018, 04:58
Last time I drove down town Chicago I stopped for a red light. Apparantly my front bumper was intruding into the crosswalk as a priest pounded on my hood!

dave
06-11-2018, 06:15
When I lived there I used to keep with traffic and compete with the best, or worse, of others. Now, if I go back, it scares hell out of me! Just can not play "whats my lane" any more!

Vern Humphrey
06-11-2018, 12:46
I used to live outside Detroit. To make a left turn on a 4 lane, you first stop a hundred yards short of the intersection, while traffic going the OTHER WAY makes a U-turn into your lane and fills up the space between you and the intersection. It will take you two or three cycles to reach the intersection. Then you CROSS the intersection, and about a hundred yards beyond it, you make a U-turn into the opposite lanes. Then after a cycle or so, you reach the intersection and make a RIGHT turn.

My theory is, they know no one would voluntarily live in Michigan, so they arrange the traffic patterns so if you accidentally wander in, you can't get out again.

Allen
06-11-2018, 12:50
I see why there were so many gangsters in Chicago. They had to shoot their Thompsons to clear the traffic.

ray55classic
06-11-2018, 06:56
When the entire city sucks why would you expect the traffic not to ?

Vern Humphrey
06-12-2018, 01:47
And that's the last word on this subject!

S.A. Boggs
06-12-2018, 01:53
Stuck in a jam coming back through Chicago after helping my daughter move. Google Maps shows red everywhere. Worst drivers imaginable. Nobody south of the Wisconsin line knows what the left lane is for. On I-65S towards Indianapolis some guy put up a giant sign "HELL IS REAL". It's facing the wrong way because everyone who just came out of Chicago knows that only too well.

You're braver then I am, every 90 days I have to go to Columbus to have a tube check and we always go the belt way to Riverside Methodist. I thought Atlanta was bad, Columbus is worse!
Sam

togor
06-12-2018, 03:47
I remember sweating out the last leg of the drive in a rental car from Chattanooga to Hartsfield, really wanting to get a plane home. Traffic was bad in the 90's, probably worse now. Chattanooga airport by contrast is a breeze, but if your flight is cancelled there may not be another for some time.

JB White
06-13-2018, 03:52
...couldn't they splurge for even one "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign? Apparently not.

It would need to be written in seven languages and people would stop to read all of it in spite of being only semi-literate in their own language.

AZshooter
06-17-2018, 07:19
What kind of irresponsible parent allows their child to move to Chicago???

dryheat
06-17-2018, 09:35
That's funny.

JB White
06-18-2018, 06:48
What kind of irresponsible parent allows their child to move to Chicago???

HA! When was the last time you tried to tell a 20-something what they can and cannot do?

M1Tommy
06-18-2018, 07:12
I see the influence of the old bloodlines.... in the 'long time residents', of Hot Springs, Arkansas!
Tommy