PDA

View Full Version : disposing tracer rounds

twb
06-01-2018, 05:57
I have maybe 10 30-06 tracers, head stamped 53. Most of the cases now have corrosion. After some recent experience with corroded 22LR, I'm terrified of having anything similar happen with 06 rounds! So, I want to dispose of these rounds and I'm uncertain how to. I have an inertial bullet puller but I have no idea how stable the incendiary compound is in the bullet base, plus I'm not sure what to do about the live primers. If 1953 primers are non-corrosive I'll just "fire" them. Anyway, I'm open to all/any suggestions on how to properly dispose of these tracer rounds. Thanks in advance.

Sunray
06-01-2018, 09:12
Hi. Corrosive ammo isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be. Cleaning after using 'em involves hot tap water(couple pints will do) and nothing else. Just flush the rifle with hot tap water and clean as per normal. If it's a semi-auto, you need to flush the gas system too.
I think '53 vintage Ball is corrosive and trace was fixed after that. If you opt to pull 'em, trace doesn't just burst into flame. Even shooting trace is kind of boring. Unless it's .45 ACP inside and nobody else knows it's a tracer. However, if the cases are corroded you don't want to shoot it anyway.
You always have the option of taking the 10 rounds to your local PD too. Probably a good idea to call 'em first.

Allen
06-01-2018, 10:19
Toss them in a lake. Salt water would be better.

JimF
06-01-2018, 01:49
. . . . .
You always have the option of taking the 10 rounds to your local PD too. Probably a good idea to call 'em first.

This^^^^^^ . . . .

Probably the least problematic for you as well.

Tuna
06-01-2018, 05:50
The rounds are non corrosive so pull the tracers in you want. They need heat to ignite. You can take them to a PD and turn them over to them to dispose of as Sunray suggested. I was always happen when the public brought in ammo they no longer wanted to my PD.

p246
06-02-2018, 05:12
I pull the bullets and re use them. A lot of the old ones don’t light but still plinking ammo. Never had an issue.

I deal with ammo brought in to my PD. Old corroded stuff goes in a bucket of WD 40 for a long soak. It interesting what shows up. Lot of very old stuff, but lots of newer stuff shows up to. Weird stuff, metal tins of black powder that solidified into one mass. Two cities over had to put out notices not to bring live hand grenades to the PD lobby. Apparently it happened twice in a short time frame. I haven’t had a live one brought in yet. Just demilled or training ones brought in, but they are easy to see.