PDA

View Full Version : Residential HVAC is a Racket

togor
05-28-2018, 04:58
So a little bit of a heat wave, and so we go to turn on the central AC a couple of days ago. No joy. What changed? Well we had a new furnace installed last winter. Snag #1 back then is that we paid for a 95% efficient unit only to have them put in a 91% unit. A fact I discovered about a week later. The company cut me a check pretty quick for an amount north of my bottom line there so OK, settled. Snag #2 now is that our AC doesn't kick in.

Well I'm tired from spending all of yesterday in the driveway working on cars, but I get the look from my wife that says I really need to be getting on this AC thing before it gets dark. AC contactor outside in the unit looks good, no corrosion, Ohms good. Start dinking around with the thermostat wiring in the basement. Have to look up the colors on the web because it's been 15 years and I'm tired, LOL. In the end I figured out that the furnace installer had wired up the AC contactor wrong when he put in the new unit. He should have brought all 5 wires out of the furnace but he only brought 4. On this furnace the AC contactor needs to be wired between yellow and blue to kick in. He had it wired in series between the thermostat and furnace yellow wires.

Being a circuits guy I could work this out from first principles and now it works. And when the service guy calls back today, my wife can cheerfully tell him that their installer screwed up the job and her husband fixed it. Thermostat wiring ain't exactly rocket science and I'm no genius for fixing it, but on the other hand the guy who did the install, who does this for a living and who has a much bigger house than me (or so he tells me), didn't get it right himself.

Major Tom
05-28-2018, 05:06
All's well that ends well! And your wife if happy too!

Clark Howard
05-28-2018, 06:03
Your "experienced installer" knew that you would generate a service call when you turned on the AC. An honest, and thorough HVAC guy is someone to hang on to. Regards, Clark

clintonhater
05-28-2018, 07:01
I perceive there's perhaps some advantage in being unable to afford anything better than a $200 window unit. Or a propane space heater.

JOHN COOK
05-28-2018, 09:57
I perceive there's perhaps some advantage in being unable to afford anything better than a $200 window unit. Or a propane space heater

True statement , but it all depends where you reside.:icon_scratch:

john

Former Cav
05-28-2018, 10:42
have the same problem in AZ with all the HEAT out here.
AC contractors are CROOKS.
you buy the "service plan" to get your furnace all set for winter and then they disconnect the AC unit up in the attic (I can't get up there, pardon my political UN-correctness but I am a CRIPPLE).
So then you call them out and get a service call, then they hook up the AC and disconnect the furnace so when the winter comes you are SCREWED again.
They have added the VERY TRUE meaning of the word being "SERVICED"!!
I finally found an independent guy who works alone and thus far he has been GOOD. I hope he LIVES long and stays healthy.
Same thing with automobiles in ARIZONA.... do you think somebody would know how to FIX A/C?????????????????
rant off.

S.A. Boggs
05-28-2018, 11:13
I perceive there's perhaps some advantage in being unable to afford anything better than a $200 window unit. Or a propane space heater.

IMHO in my situation I have to agree with this. When we bought this place had electric heat/heat pump which never worked to my satisfaction and darn too much to operate. Had an ice storm come thru, no electricity so had to haul out the camping stove to cook on and bought a kerosene heater and drove a far piece to bring home fuel. Now have propane/wood to heat with and window units to cool. Togor at least had the skills, something I do not.
Sam

clintonhater
05-28-2018, 03:32
Had an ice storm come thru, no electricity so had to haul out the camping stove to cook on and bought a kerosene heater and drove a far piece to bring home fuel.
Sam

My small propane space heater saved my life during the "Ice Storm of the Millennium" 20 yrs ago. 9 days without power, & many further from the main lines went two weeks. It's now almost 40 yrs old, with zero problems or maintenance. Only the unvented ones operate without electricity, however; the high-priced, high-tech ones with thermostats, etc., leave you freezing in the dark.

ikesdad
05-28-2018, 04:50
We have a swamp cooler. Much simpler and cheaper