PDA

View Full Version : Liars abound

RED
05-13-2018, 06:29
I have a small 10' Freedom Marine boat that is rated for a 2.5hp outboard. I wanted a longer range than the electric motors on the boat offered, so I did a little research. The boat maker recommended the Honda motor over the other models. It turns out that of the 7 brands available, Tohatsu makes 4 of them and they are identical. Those motors weigh 34 lbs. but are $100 cheaper than the Honda that weighs in at 27 - 29.5 lbs. (depending on where you look). A little research told me the Honda was very highly rated, made in Japan, and being air-cooled was supposedly lighter and more reliable.

When the motor arrived I noticed a couple of things right away.

Number 1. The motor was made in China.
Number 2. The motor weight was listed at 32lbs.

Honda produces all of its 4-stroke outboard engines at its Hosoe Plant in Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan,

http://world.honda.com/power/marine/

Liars abound and almost nobody seems to mind.

Sako
05-15-2018, 10:01
Consumers get dumber by the minute and very few people are willing to complain anymore.

dryheat
05-16-2018, 06:47
Tohatsu? Are they still around? Here's the difference per 1999. Tohatsu made motors for those miniture boats that were popular years ago, before Skidoos(or whatever they are called now). I bought one for my 12' aluminum. Wow, was it freakin loud. Earmuffs didn't help. It was a frequency that went right through muffs. Honda. Well, they are renown for being quiet. Now,these days maybe they all are quiet but Honda had the rep. I don't care where stuff is made if it works.