PDA

View Full Version : Working Saturday's and holidays

S.A. Boggs
05-10-2018, 07:31
I haven't done either in 30 years and always detested it. Now that I am my own boss it doesn't seem so bad to work select holidays and go fishing on days when the lake is empty of others. I am having to work at retirement and having a heck of a good time!:banana100::1948::hello:
Sam

leftyo
05-10-2018, 08:01
ive have worked one heck of a lot of holidays and weekends in my life, and while its very true you miss out on the crowds, you also miss out on your friends and family as they like most normal people dont work weekends and holidays. a guy i once worked with put it this way, "you never get those weekends back".

blackhawknj
05-10-2018, 09:01
I've worked my share, out of necessity-in college, e.g. I am associated with a large limo company, when drivers ask me about working holidays, I tell them:
"The turkey turns out lousy, the wife's in a foul mood, mother-in-law starts a fight, kids act up-gotta go to work now!"

Allen
05-10-2018, 09:02
After working 19 years of rotating 12 hour shifts often with forced O/T on my off days people who knew me didn't see or hear from me for those 19 years. Some would ask my brother if I had moved off. I pretty much lost what friends I had, some of which moved away, some are dead, others just no contact. If I died today and had a traditional funeral my wife would not be able to come up with 6 pallbearer's that aren't related.

One thing I always liked about my previous job though was being off in the middle of the week sometimes. My wife and I could go to the movies, eat out or shop w/o the crowds.

Now that I'm retired I finally have the time, money and frame of mind to do things but have to contend with my old achy, stiff and tired body.

blackhawknj
05-10-2018, 09:22
At the company I have met a fair number of guys who had good paying jobs but liked the extra income-helping a kid pay for college, e.g. (What a quaint concept!) Some just like driving, others-a fair number of the retirees, e.g.-get out of the house, avoid the "honey do" list, the wife's friends, the MIL-"too much of the grandkids" as more than one put it. One said his wife had the car during the week, weekends was a way of reminding her that it was his car paid for his money.

S.A. Boggs
05-11-2018, 03:54
My wife works on Saturday and the usual holidays and has for the past 16 years at Wally World, I on the other hand had Saturdays off. Sunday is the Lords Day so we both go to church. I am able to adjust what I want to do with her day's off during the week so we have a day long date.
Sam