PDA

View Full Version : what happened?

keith smart
05-07-2018, 09:22
What happened to this forum? It's like everybody lost interest.

Marty T.
05-08-2018, 05:46
Nobody wants to talk about guns. Got a few that just want to argue about different things and that is not interesting to most.

Clark Howard
05-08-2018, 06:36
dem instigators turned it sour.

clintonhater
05-08-2018, 07:05
Nobody wants to talk about guns. Got a few that just want to argue about different things and that is not interesting to most.

Maybe that's because the current political situation has been such a crushing disappointment, compared to our expectations about the changes we thought Trump's stunning upset victory (not over the Dems, but over the left-wing MEDIA) would bring about. Not that we didn't know the federal court system had for yrs been packed with leftist zealots by Dems like Obummer & the two Bushs...but the scope of their power & determination to tie the hands of a President they bitterly HATE is something that has truly amazed me.

As for guns, there's honestly not much I don't know about the ones that interest me--which is not a narrow selection. And what I can't remember I can usually find in the hundreds of gun books I started accumulating when I was in high school.

S.A. Boggs
05-08-2018, 07:14
Similar to what happened to The American Rifleman magazine, started out as a flair of a technical magazine turned into a 7th grade whatnot. Same has happened to other gun magazines or now "survival" magazines. The only magazine I really enjoy are the ones published by Wolfe out of AZ. Technical and informative not how to "make" a 15lb AR with a new doodad to hang on it. I appreciate a person with a different opinion, unfortunately Culvers has turned into a bar fight of sorts.:icon_redface:
Sam

leftyo
05-08-2018, 07:51

its not just them! the few resident trolls actually arent as bad as our one special problem child! it is truly sad that folks like that have driven away so many from this forum.

Allen
05-08-2018, 07:59

Don't edge them on. That's the only purpose they are here for.

S.A. Boggs
05-08-2018, 08:21
Don't edge them on. That's the only purpose they are here for.

Amen!
Sam

dave
05-08-2018, 08:28
As I recall this forum started out as a US military weapons forum, at least that was what it was when I signed on. (late 90's) Other type guns were added as it went along. The only political stuff then was what affected gun ownership. It has now turned into 95% political, 5% gun. While I still check certain gun forums here, new posts are few and far between. I spend more time on Gun Boards, they do not allow political posts at all! Troll's can be gotten rid of by just ignoring them, but we refuse to do that, which gives them control of the board! (I have now adopted that policy).
I do not think this site will last much longer due to this and some technical issues it has had the last year or so.

bruce
05-08-2018, 08:52
Have been a member here for a good while. Appreciate the members. Come here a bit each day. Things have changed. How? We've changed. Only way things will improve is when/if we change. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

clintonhater
05-08-2018, 09:23
Similar to what happened to The American Rifleman magazine, started out as a flair of a technical magazine turned into a 7th grade whatnot.

It's what it takes, sadly, to appeal to the under-40 crowd, whose entire knowledge base (most of them) rests on what they can find on their cell phone in 5 min. Highly technical or historical info would be lost on most of them, whose chief interest is BLACK.

Actually, this isn't entirely new. Right after WWII, NRA expanded it's membership tremendously. One of the reasons it
was able to do this was by dropping most of its previous coverage of match shooting, & other technical writing incomprehensible to the average 20-something vet. For that reason, the pre-war issues are goldmines of info not found in the post-war mags.

Can't really blame any mag for providing the majority of its readers the material they're best capable of appreciating, & trying to "raise the bar" is a recipe for failure. If it was published to suit ME it would follow the fate of Precision Shooting, the only recent gun mag that resembled the "old" Rifleman.

Mark in Ottawa
05-09-2018, 07:09
It could just be that we have all been participating for so long that most of us are somewhat familiar with all of the regular participants and that we have morphed from a firearms discussion site into a firearms, politics and sociology discussion club. I am not sure that that is a bad thing since we are from all over the world and have somewhat different experiences or perspectives to bring to any discussion. For certain, some of the language and comments occasionally move over the line and become unacceptable but I tend to enjoy the repartee and the sharing of thoughts on the broader topics that arise.

Vern Humphrey
05-09-2018, 09:17
Why do you think I keep saying, "Don't feed the trolls?"

We have recently had people join whose sole purpose is to disrupt, annoy, and sow dissention. Who wants to post on a forum with people like that?

Allen
05-09-2018, 09:38
Again, that ignore list works great. We talk among ourselves with no interruptions or BS on how great the democrats are. They are here to destroy the forum and ONLY to destroy the forum. We can become stronger by ignoring them, not giving in to them.

Vern Humphrey
05-09-2018, 10:30
Again, that ignore list works great. We talk among ourselves with no interruptions or BS on how great the democrats are. They are here to destroy the forum and ONLY to destroy the forum. We can become stronger by ignoring them, not giving in to them.

I could not have said it better myself. Now to get everyone else on board -- ignore these people! Their only goal is to destroy the forum. Stop helping them!

togor
05-09-2018, 12:35
A lot of posts are negative. Over time that may dampen people's enthusiasm. B*tching is necessary to let off steam but not a great vocation for life. The 2A forum can see some sparks but for the most part GT is what it is.

As has been said, CSP is what people choose to make it. One guy who is a frequent complainer about other people's posts (8% of his post traffic is a general catch-all complaint), has made 0.0% to any of the shooting forums in at least his last 200 posts. Going back I seldom see him posting in any of the shooting or reloading forums. Just hangs out at the cracker barrel and 2A. His idea is that CSP for like-minded people only, that the forums belong to him. Well everything I read says that this is one of the problems with America today, that people hide in their bubbles and can't or won't expose themselves to differing points of view. It's not a model of America that I knew that one has to pass some sort of ideological litmus test in order to participate. Have times changed that much here that we operate like Red China now? I hope not.

Dolt
05-09-2018, 12:55
Similar to what happened to The American Rifleman magazine, started out as a flair of a technical magazine turned into a 7th grade whatnot. Same has happened to other gun magazines or now "survival" magazines. The only magazine I really enjoy are the ones published by Wolfe out of AZ. Technical and informative not how to "make" a 15lb AR with a new doodad to hang on it. I appreciate a person with a different opinion, unfortunately Culvers has turned into a bar fight of sorts.:icon_redface:
Sam

I have American Rifleman magazines going back to the 1920's. It has become a joke compared to what it was. It used to be a really technical magazine for gun guys.

Roadkingtrax
05-09-2018, 01:27
The old "Man at Arms" are all interesting reads, like the same era of Popular Mechanics.

Former Cav
05-09-2018, 04:04
I've thought of leaving. then I've also learned this --> "DON'T LET THEM STEAL your joy!!!"
might be a few sour apples but they are EVERYWHERE and are just a fact of life.
Ignore them and enjoy your life.
don't let the "life suckers" steal your joy whatever it may be!!!!!!!!!!

free1954
05-12-2018, 03:32
I could not have said it better myself. Now to get everyone else on board -- ignore these people! Their only goal is to destroy the forum. Stop helping them!

amen

IditarodJoe
05-12-2018, 12:56
To keith smart's original question, I can only speak for myself. When I retired a couple years ago, the wife and I took up trap shooting and that's been my main focus since that time. I'm sure that eventually I'll restart my interest in the old rifles and will rejoin the discussion. I still check the site daily, but mostly look at the gun-related posts.