PDA

View Full Version : Great time at the range with M1 rifle & carbine

Faulkner
05-01-2018, 05:48
One of my coworkers at the sheriff's office called me recently and said his grandfather was coming to town for a visit and while in town he wanted to take him to the department range for a shooting session and asked if I wanted to come along. His grandfather had served in Korea in the early '60's and later in Vietnam and had retired from the US Army about 25 years ago.

My buddy brought some of the latest up to date equipment we use at the department for his grandfather to try out, and I brought along a 1943 M1 rifle, 1944 M1 carbine, and a 1943 Ithaca M1911A1. I got a kick out of the fact that we all spent a lot more time shooting the vintage firearms and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the stories told by the elder gentleman from his younger days in the boonies toting a M1 rifle. We had a great afternoon and I think he thoroughly enjoyed the shooting session.

I just got the guns cleaned up and snapped a picture before they go back in the vault.

bruce
05-01-2018, 07:39
Wonderful story. Beautiful rifles. Sincerely. bruce.

Sunray
05-02-2018, 11:42
The vintage firearms are way more fun to shoot. An M1 Rifle beats any kind of AR, every time. Beats an M-14(have 'em both) too. The Carbine beats all of 'em.

bdm
05-02-2018, 01:28
Great Story The Great Generation Thank You for posting

Gary and Karen
05-02-2018, 01:37
Two of my favorites. I especially like the M1 Carbine. Gary and I had quite a collection at one time. A good little weapon with quite a history.

Karen

Griff Murphey
05-02-2018, 02:04
Taking a vet tio shoot is always a good deed!

Faulkner
05-02-2018, 02:29
Two of my favorites. I especially like the M1 Carbine. Gary and I had quite a collection at one time. A good little weapon with quite a history.

Karen

Gary and Karen, it's been a while. I remember you guys from the Gun & Knife Forum days back in the dial up modem era over 20 years ago. Hope you are doing well.

Gary and Karen
05-03-2018, 11:23
Thanks, Faulkner. Gary passed away almost 3 years ago and I moved to Bend Oregon to help take care of Mom. Mom passed shortly after Gary did and I have stayed here in the high desert of Central Oregon. Things change. I am closer to my daughter-she is in Corvallis.
I have done a bit of traveling-Europe and Mexico (twice). This being retired thing is pretty nice. The poverty angle is a bit difficult but, what the heck.
Hope all is well.
Karen

Faulkner
05-03-2018, 07:08
Sorry to hear about Gary, my sincere condolences. Glad to hear you've been out and about though. Best wishes!

Jonn
05-04-2018, 11:56
Thank you for giving the Veteran Some Enjoyment he wont soon forget.
jonn, a Sailor, Bay of Pigs Yacht Club Member.