PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Airlines 604

togor
04-18-2018, 06:32
The flight that lost an engine. Brought to the ground by a former Naval Aviator, Tammie Jo Shults. One of the first women to fly a F/A-18 Hornet. Nice piece on her in the Washington Post. The Air Force didn't want her. Easy to imagine a life lived just to bring her to that moment. And while she may grieve for the passenger that died, how many more are alive because of her.

Mark in Ottawa
04-18-2018, 06:46
I understand that the woman who died was partially sucked out of the broken window but was pulled back by other passengers. Notwithstanding that she eventually died, this was a very brave and commendable act on their part and they should be commended for their actions.

Ken The Kanuck
04-18-2018, 07:13
I understand that the woman who died was partially sucked out of the broken window but was pulled back by other passengers. Notwithstanding that she eventually died, this was a very brave and commendable act on their part and they should be commended for their actions.

You are right Mark, that would of been terrifying the plane at that time.

KTK

togor
04-18-2018, 07:21
Wrong flight number, Southwest 1380. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/FkVTdvcghHc

ATC call. Professionalism all around.

m1ashooter
04-18-2018, 09:00
Professional and experienced flight crew and a well designed aircraft built by Mr Boeing brought these people home safely. This could have gotten ugly very quickly.

PWC
04-18-2018, 11:15
The pilot did an excellent job, exactly what an instructor fighter pilot is supposed to do; but FOX, in it's exuberance, this time DID misspeak....The lady is not an ace...43463

jon_norstog
04-18-2018, 12:54
The flight that lost an engine. Brought to the ground by a former Naval Aviator, Tammie Jo Shults. One of the first women to fly a F/A-18 Hornet. Nice piece on her in the Washington Post. The Air Force didn't want her. Easy to imagine a life lived just to bring her to that moment. And while she may grieve for the passenger that died, how many more are alive because of her.

Amen! I saw the story today ... remember when women in combat service was an issue?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43804253

jn

blackhawknj
04-18-2018, 01:52
She was a much better pilot than Kara Hultgreen, obviously.
Women in combat is STILL an issue. The Marines have conducted extensive tests showing that mixed gender units always perform worse than all male one, and those Marines I have talked to recently endorse those findings. We had a video posted here sometime ago entitled "Equal Rights-and Lefts", showed some "diesel dyke" who stepped into the ring against a Marine, he knocked her down 3 times.

TomSudz
04-18-2018, 07:23

Firehouse.com is reporting that a firefighter from Texas did CPR on the woman. She later died from upper body trauma. Sounds like she didn't have much of a chance. Too bad.

S.A. Boggs
04-18-2018, 07:48
From my limited flying in light aircraft, why undo your seat belt? An aircraft is not entirely stable and sudden turbulence can cause a person to leave a seat real quick.
Sam

tmark
04-18-2018, 07:59
The plane and engines? were allegedly inspected prior to the flight. Some inspector missed the fan's metal for fatigue!!!

JOHN COOK
04-19-2018, 02:18
The plane and engines? were allegedly inspected prior to the flight. Some inspector missed the fan's metal for fatigue!!!

Good point Mark. But I doubt if an inspector would have noticed a hair line fracture (if that is what is was) in a observation type inspection. There are a lot

of blades in those engines.

john

Roadkingtrax
04-19-2018, 04:31
One fan blade did not cause all of that damage. As I suspected, they are now looking closer at the inlet fairing, and what role it may have played. The picture I saw showed a lot of damage ahead of the first stage.

pcox
04-19-2018, 07:51
I have witnessed a turbine engine coming apart firsthand. While attending air frame and engine school in KC my class was running up a timed out engine which TWA had donated to the school. I was standing fire guard by the fuel tank and the rest of the class was inside the hangar with the wall and a piece of half inch steel plate between them and the engine. They weren't supposed to go past 80% rpm, but i guess even that was too much that day. I saw the case swell and the thought "well that's it for me" went through my mind".

Got lucky again that day. A large piece hit me in the chest and knocked me flat and the rest of it went over the top. Got a broken bone in my hand out of it, split down the center from knuckle to wrist.

We found pieces of that engine on the other side of the airport.

Major Tom
04-20-2018, 05:34
Along with other airline issues, this is another reason I don't fly anymore! I can drive to where ever I want and only have to dodge semi trucks.

Sako
04-21-2018, 08:23
I have witnessed a turbine engine coming apart firsthand. While attending air frame and engine school in KC my class was running up a timed out engine which TWA had donated to the school. I was standing fire guard by the fuel tank and the rest of the class was inside the hangar with the wall and a piece of half inch steel plate between them and the engine. They weren't supposed to go past 80% rpm, but i guess even that was too much that day. I saw the case swell and the thought "well that's it for me" went through my mind".

Got lucky again that day. A large piece hit me in the chest and knocked me flat and the rest of it went over the top. Got a broken bone in my hand out of it, split down the center from knuckle to wrist.

We found pieces of that engine on the other side of the airport.

Wowzer , you suffered a lot of pain over that and it will probably give you problems all your life but it is a little bit cool to have seen it up so close.