PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance question, collision vs comprehension?

rayg
04-12-2018, 09:03
Pulled my Chrysler van into the garage and raised the back hatch door to take out some items but forgot to close the hatch and pushed the button to lower the overhead garage door, The garage door came down on the hatch and damaged it.

Turned it over to the insurance company for a comprehension claim and they said they are claiming it as a collision claim, I asked why, because the van was unoccupied and not running. They said because the garage door collided with the door. Keeping in mind no one was in the car and it was not running, Is that the right claim? I don't want to incur any additional future ins costs or loose my safe driving record because of it being claimed as collision. Ray

Ken The Kanuck
04-12-2018, 09:56
The way our insurance works is that we would have to pay the deductible, but it would not affect our safe driving discount. Similar to a hit and run. Hopefully it works the same way for you.

KTK

Sunray
04-12-2018, 10:17
You need to talk to your agent, not an Internet firearms forum. However, your rules and mine are different except that the insurance companies make their own rules no matter where they are located and don't care what you think or want.
You may want to call your State Insurance Bureau or whatever it's where you are too.

JB White
04-12-2018, 11:43
because the van was unoccupied and not running.

If a tree fell on an unoccupied vehicle while parked that's comprehensive. I don't see any difference given the reason they cite.
Look into your homeowners insurance policy to see if you're covered there.

Allen
04-12-2018, 12:18
You definitely need to check with your agent.

My wife backed into my daughters unoccupied parked car in our yard and did $3,000 worth of damage. It was covered under our homeowners policy and not our auto insurance. Just food for thought.

rayg
04-12-2018, 01:19
If a tree fell on an unoccupied vehicle while parked that's comprehensive. I don't see any difference given the reason they cite.
Look into your homeowners insurance policy to see if you're covered there.

That's my thoughts. I put out a call to my agent to find out why it's considered a collision when unoccupied. It seems to me that a collision would impact my safe driving record.

leftyo
04-12-2018, 02:02
if the garage is attached, it could go on your home owners. imo what happened would be a comp claim, but when dealing with insurance companies, ya never know.

PaFrank
04-12-2018, 02:41
if they insist on calling it a collision, call your state Insurance rep... I forget the exact title.. Either that or contacty a public adjuster.

clintonhater
04-12-2018, 08:19
I've never carried anything for the last 60 yrs but the minimum legal liability coverage. For my own stupidity, I expect to pay.

togor
04-13-2018, 09:35
Do they want to subrogate to your homeowner's policy? Sounds strange.

RED
04-13-2018, 05:29
Geezus. Everything today is a scam or a rip off. My wife had a group life insurance policy as part of her retirement benefits from the University of MO. When she died they told me she lost all her benefits including life insurance. We had been paying the premiums for the 5 years since she retired. It took me 4 months and a lawyer to collect.

In your case it is probably a home insurance case but the thing to remember is they are all crooks and scammers and you need to aggressively follow up on every option.