PDA

View Full Version : Calling JB again !

milboltnut
03-13-2018, 06:05
Do you agree with this John?

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=19134

Also what stock stamps and characteristics can I go by to authenticate a Remington A3 stock?

1903.com and Poyer thumbs down?

John Beard
03-13-2018, 05:19
Do you agree with this John?

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=19134

Also what stock stamps and characteristics can I go by to authenticate a Remington A3 stock?

1903.com and Poyer thumbs down?

Yes, Harlan's rifle is correct and original.

An authentic Smith-Corona stock will have a diamond containing a number stamped in front of the trigger guard/magazine. Remington stocks do not have a diamond.

The stock notch for the lower band retaining spring will be distinctly rounded at the front on a Smith-Corona stock. The stock notch will be squared at the front on a Remington stock.

J.B.

milboltnut
03-13-2018, 06:14
How about a Z on the forend nose of a SC?

The collectible 03' J.C. Harrison

Thoughts, John?

John Beard
03-13-2018, 07:07
How about a Z on the forend nose of a SC?

The collectible 03' J.C. Harrison

Thoughts, John?

Most Smith-Corona stocks have nothing stamped on the forend nose. A few have a letter or number, but most don't. I haven't seen any Z's.

Harrison's book has value if you have a caged bird and don't mind taping the pages together.

J.B.

milboltnut
03-14-2018, 06:19
On my stock I have a letter M above the circle P proof, under the pistol grip.. what does that mean?

Also.... with all the stamps, marks, and cartouches, would it be safe to say, that the stock I have is original?

Cross cannons and FJA with no rebuild cartouche', squared lower band spring recess, ........

If there is anything else or if you can refer me somewhere I can look, ie, website, book, let me know. Thanks.

John Beard
03-14-2018, 07:55
On my stock I have a letter M above the circle P proof, under the pistol grip.. what does that mean?

Also.... with all the stamps, marks, and cartouches, would it be safe to say, that the stock I have is original?

Cross cannons and FJA with no rebuild cartouche', squared lower band spring recess, ........

If there is anything else or if you can refer me somewhere I can look, ie, website, book, let me know. Thanks.

The "M" is a subinspection mark. Your description indicates you have a Remington stock. It may or may not be original to your rifle. Stocks can get mixed without having gone through rebuild.

The various forums and ViShooter website are the best online references. Brophy and Campbell's books are the best in publication, but they are dated and not without error.

J.B.

milboltnut
03-14-2018, 07:59
I would assume it did go through a rebuild.... barrel/recev. according to you vishooter site indicates it is matching. But various parts, extractor 03 with gas escape hole, buttplate SC, stacking swivel SC, striker SC, bolt body SC. Everything else is Rem. I read that SC parts were not marked.....how true is that?

Ok thanks... John. I need to know if I am a bother to you.. am I?

John Beard
03-14-2018, 09:25
Some later production SC parts are marked with a G or an S and bolt handles are marked with an X.

You don't bother me because I won't let you. I pick and choose which inquiries and issues I respond to. And in keeping with forum principles, I allow others to respond to routine inquiries and don't hog all the attention. I, therefore, suggest that you direct your inquires to forum participants in general. Many knowledgeable collectors are members of these forums and they deserve an opportunity to participate.

J.B.

milboltnut
03-15-2018, 04:52
You are concise and to the point that's why I inquire you alone sometimes.... and I can tell you know what you are talking about. If you don't know something you admit it and aren't conceited nor overwhelming. Granted there are others here and unlike on other forums, there are not.

Here at Jouster it seems the most knowledgeable folks are and a few that don't mind to be challenged, especially when asked for sources. I know your sources... they're written down... and that means more than that to me, then guys who get bent out of shape when asked their sources, I don't have time for the egos.. There is ONE fellow here who gave some sources and I was surprised. And if that creates a bad reputation frankly I could care less. I don't need to challenge you John due to the fact that, again, I know your sources. Guess to some others they did the leg work and don't care to share.. sounds childish. I get tired of going round the merry go round of information...