PDA

View Full Version : Remington bolt questions

islandhopper
03-03-2018, 08:24
I’ve got two Remington bolts. Both are A3 bolts - in that they are undercut on both sides of the safety lug. Did Remington make any bolts without undercuts/1903? Also, one bolt has a larger R under the handle and R on the extractor ring. It is in a thick, silver paper/foil wrap and has a protective crystal coating. It is a greenish gray color. The other one I have is blued with a smaller R. It is not wrapped but looks nice. What years would they be from? My guess is the blued one is older. Thanks guys.

John Beard
03-03-2018, 04:27
I’ve got two Remington bolts. Both are A3 bolts - in that they are undercut on both sides of the safety lug. Did Remington make any bolts without undercuts/1903? Also, one bolt has a larger R under the handle and R on the extractor ring. It is in a thick, silver paper/foil wrap and has a protective crystal coating. It is a greenish gray color. The other one I have is blued with a smaller R. It is not wrapped but looks nice. What years would they be from? My guess is the blued one is older. Thanks guys.

Answers are as follows:

(1) Yes.

(2) Both bolts are from late 1942 or 1943. The greenish-gray bolt has been refinished.

J.B.

islandhopper
03-04-2018, 11:18
Thank you JB

Punch the Clown
03-04-2018, 04:42
Islandhopper, there are at least 3 variations of Remington bolts that I know of. Some undercut, some just a little undercut, and some a lot undercut. There are other differences such as the size of the gas hole and whether or not they have the dimples for the hold open. Gets complicated.

islandhopper
03-06-2018, 08:01
Thank you Punch. I only have the two but other than the color and size of R they look the same to me. I always thought that Remington had made bolts without the undercuts but then I really didn’t know. I didn’t think to look for bolt stop detents as I thought they would have phased that part out by the time Remington started making rifles. Learning something all the time. Thanks again.