PDA

View Full Version : modified clip during WW2 for cleaning M1 rifle

RCS
03-02-2018, 06:54
Some actual examples were found in the southwest at known training areas. Another collector found some
old paper work showing how to modify the clip. A round piece of brass or steel 3/16 inch or 1/4 inch is used.
The modified clip will keep the follower and slide out of the way as the cleaning rod is pushed through the barrel
from the muzzle.431224312343124

Sunray
03-03-2018, 09:26
More likely somebody's idea of how to make a clip hold only 5 rounds for hunting. That pin is not as old as the clip. Nobody would ever think to issue a special clip(that'd promptly be lost) for cleaning.

Rock
03-03-2018, 11:30
More likely somebody's idea of how to make a clip hold only 5 rounds for hunting.

If that were the case, the bar would have to be under the follower.

Major Tom
03-04-2018, 04:52
A neat idea for sure, but I've never had an issue doing it the 'standard' way.

Rifleman
03-04-2018, 01:58
Thanks RCS, I have also seen a few modern takes on the same idea such as...

RCS
03-04-2018, 05:31
what I have shown in the modified clip is something I just made-up to show how it worked. Note the back of the clip protects the bolt
face from the cleaning rod. You can also check the T.E. or clean the chamber without the follower and slide in the way.

These clip modifications were performed by the US Army during early WW2

My good friend in NJ has a copy of the directive and instruction sheet that shows how to modify the clip and the intended use of the
modified clip by the army

bobinmich
03-05-2018, 07:00
Could you post a copy of that directive and instruction sheet? We collectors would like a copy.
Thanks!

RCS
03-05-2018, 08:09
There were photos posted on the old jouster in 2012 by Dirt-Detective

I will check around for photos in my email as I might still have some

Tom in N.J.
03-05-2018, 10:24
I had come across an early WWII instruction sheet showing how to modify a clip to protect the bolt face from the long one piece cleaning rods then in use. I have since gone thru four or so computers and lost a lot of my photo collection, but here is one of the original gov't photos that RCS is talking about. I was the one who told Dirt Detective what he had found. Note that the clip in the photo is the early type with cut thru retaining notches. I would think they would not need more than one per squad. I have painted my reproduction cleaning aid red, shown in my short barrel, screw-on gas cylinder rifle.

43129 43132

lyman
03-06-2018, 02:19
learn something new every day

RCS, if you find a copy of that directive I would love to have a copy

Thanks

jjrothWA
03-07-2018, 07:09
Assuming here, that the clip was push onto follower [ with the greater free portion facing down] and the bar resting on top of follower and remaining base of clip protecting the bolt face?

Tom in N.J.
03-08-2018, 03:50
jjrothWA... You are correct. With the modified clip inserted into the receiver with the cross pin in the 'high' position ,the clip will hold the bolt open and protect the face of the retracted bolt. When inserted with the pin in the 'low' position the bolt will close and the rifle can be used for 'dry fire' training. It will allow the bolt to be run forward and rearward by hand without ejecting the clip. The need for this modified clip went away with the adoption of shorter cleaning rods. Training was done by using a clip with a block of wood fitted to allow the clip to remain un-drilled. The clip with the block of wood looks like a SLED, but will not feed ammo.

jjrothWA
03-08-2018, 07:21
Darn it, missed 50%!

Should have known about this when I purchased my M1 fromDCM is "83".